Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Unidentified purple wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unidentified purple wire

I'm following advice and posting this topic under the A/V forum. I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr.

I removed the security/remote start system that was installed by the dealership back when the car was new - a KARR system & I don't have a remote for it - and I bought a new one so you can see some of the wires I'm working on as well. In doing so I've noticed a purple wire located in the driver's kick panel and it seems to go up towards the dash along the left and towards the back.

Does anyone know what this wire goes to? I can't see where it connects. It was connected to a red wire from the security unit (no wiring diagrams for it) and I'm not even sure if the purple wire is a factory wire or not. Not sure where it ends up and sorry if the pic isn't the best. It's about 10 degrees and I don't have a garage.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF??? Apparently, my posts in the other thread you created in the Civic forum weren't good enough???

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1867873
Old 01-20-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

Sorry, I meant to write you a thank you. I think you are right in that it's just an extension wire for something. I looked in the Haynes manual wiring diagrams and didn't find anything purple. And the trunk is cable operated so there isn't a remote trunk function. I thought I should also add that I'm putting in a remote start system. Just taking your advice on the A/V forum and to see if someone might confirm or rebut your thougths. But again, thank you.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you need it spelled out for you, no, the purple wire is not factory.

Open the trunk and look near the latch on the trunk lid istelf and see if they added a solenoid for trunk pop.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (littledragon_79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you need it spelled out for you, no, the purple wire is not factory.

Open the trunk and look near the latch on the trunk lid istelf and see if they added a solenoid for trunk pop. </TD></TR></TABLE> Ditto that. red/white is almost always used as the EXT output for power trunk release on most alarms, it will be connected to a relay, with the relay supplying the "high current" power or ground to a trunk release solenoid.
What color is the wire, exactly, is it all purple or is there a tracer of any kind on it, diff. colored line or dots along it, it is also covered in something black, is that electrical tape or a tube of some sort, it does look like it does not belong, as some of the other wires I see, do not belong, in the pix. 94
Old 01-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: (fcm)

Hmm, thanks for the "constructive" criticism. Like I said, I agreed w/ you that the purple wire isn't factory. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary anywhere in the trunk. I tested the purple wire and it gives a ground signal when the unlock button is pushed. The unit was already plugged into the lock/unlock wires though, and from a much easier to access location. Maybe I missed something w/ the trunk or maybe something is..amiss?

On a maybe not so side note, all 3 passenger doors do not lock/unlock via the power doork lock switch. They haven't worked since I got the car and the old security unit was still in place. The driver's power lock/unlock works fine. Everything else electrical works fine. Maybe I should just stick w/ a Model T or something.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:37 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your car came stock with a 2 step central door unlock system, when the other alarm was installed it was wired, so it would continue to be a 2 step system.
Let me ask you this, what happens when you ground the purple wire" Touch it to ground, and let me know. 94

PS.. more info on door locks, what works and what does not, and when.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Sorry for the delay. I grounded that purple wire and the power door lock stopped working. I checked and the fuse was blown. I replaced that and things are back to "normal" i.e. the drivers power lock works just fine, but none of the other locks respond to the power lock/unlock switch. I tried to follow that purple wire, but it gets lost where I can't see or reach.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 PM

So yeah, grounding that wire blew the door lock fuse. The old system plugged into the door locks at a different point, so I'm not sure why the purple wire connects to them. I'm guessing something to do with the other door locks not working properly.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since that wire is not factory, it really shouldn't be that hard for you to trace it back... You may have to lay on the floor and look on up there, but I definitely don't think that you're trying very hard...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM

I've pulled out countless aftermarket alarms and remote start systems from hondas. You need to remove every single aftermarket wire before you go installing anything else. If somebody else put it in there, you can get it out with some effort. I doubt the last guy pulled the dashboard out to install that purple wire.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littledragon_79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So yeah, grounding that wire blew the door lock fuse. The old system plugged into the door locks at a different point, so I'm not sure why the purple wire connects to them. I'm guessing something to do with the other door locks not working properly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure you check all the other fuses. There might be anothor blown fuse.