11.36%
shaved/disconnected door locks
0%
GPS locator(lojack etc)
6.82%
other type of securityDIY
4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?

i want to start collecting some info on what cars are the easy pray for thiefs.

the pool includes the level of car security you had at the time it was stolen.

and you should write a quick rundown of when where and maybe how it was jacked

PLEASE only the cars that were stolen, no theories about what should have been done etc...
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?

Car stolen in front of my house. Viper 791xv with glass sensor, hood pin, separate fuel cutoff.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

none of this stuff helps if your car is pulled up a flatbed wrecker, and you're outta range of the 2-way, lol! GPS would've though... I know from experience (RHD bb6 prelude, I miss her )
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

93 accord, they got it with a flat bad
I know it was a flat bed, neighbor heard it and there were large tire marks around where the car was.

Viper alarm, prox sensor, hood pin,trunk pin, fuel pump kill switch(not sure if it was on or not), clutch club. And a pissed off golden retreiver.

EDIT- My friends car...

2000 si- Clifford 50.7x, tilt sensor, hood pin, ignition cut off, 2 kill switches, ecu removed, quick release, clutch club.
And they still got the damn thing, No idea how.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It makes NO DIFFERENCE what alarm you have because they will either flatbe the truck or cut the siren/battery...

Not to mention that now matter what itself brand of alarm is put in it is only as good as the install
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by tinctorus
It makes NO DIFFERENCE what alarm you have because they will either flatbe the truck or cut the siren/battery...

Not to mention that now matter what itself brand of alarm is put in it is only as good as the install
Thats what back up batterys are for.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Thats what back up batterys are for.
Right....Judt to let you know I have been doing installs for a living of roever 13 yearsand I cant tell you WITHOUGT A DOUBT, what there IS A WAY AROUND IT

If tjeu know whate they are doing then getting it will be a "walk in the park" tp them in all hoesnty...I can sle tel you that en xperience car thief WILL get around the alamr in UNER 3 minutes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right....Judt to let you know I have been doing installs for a living of roever 13 yearsand I cant tell you WITHOUGT A DOUBT, what there IS A WAY AROUND IT

If tjeu know whate they are doing then getting it will be a "walk in the park" tp them in all hoesnty...I can sle tel you that en xperience car thief WILL get around the alamr in UNER 3 minutes
Damn, you're spelling makes it seem like you're more drunk than I am after two hours of playoff baseball and beer tonight, LOL!

When I first read it, I thought I was just really fu**ed up, but then I really focused, and realized it wasn't just me...
Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do agree, that after my careful translation of this foreign language, tinctorus kinda has a point... There is always a way around it, its a matter of time. By time, I mean if the theif has a while to work... A good install (such as stealth install) makes it much more difficult. The only fool proof solution would be if you had some boots on your wheels or something like that to keep your car from being pulled on a truck. Even GPS notifications on your cell aren't efficient in stopping the original theft, but atleast they will help you find your car once its been relocated!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

what i dont understand is people not willing to say how the cars are stolen.
its not like thiefs dont talk to eachother and share this same info you are not telling us.
or maybe have you checked youtube and see how many videos are there that will show you how to steal a car.

maybe if someone started telling how they get stolen exactly we might be able to stay ahead of the thiefs and actually prevent them from stealing another car.
because knowing and doing is 2 different things, someone might know how to but not be able to do it anyway...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, raverx3m, I can tell you my story... I worked inside a mall, outta range from the two way remote, 11 hr shift. Get off work around 11pm, car is gone. At some point, the car was drug up the back of the wrecker, and found south of atlanta the next day gutted... It's not very difficult to hook up the vehicle to a winch and pull it...

At this point, what can we do to keep our cars from being pulled up a wrecker? Stealth installs are pretty much untouchable without a wrecker, you're good. But what if s/o is cruisin around your area with a the flat bed? That is what I see as the biggest problem now days...

I'm not trying to keep anything I may know about this stuff from anyone, I'd like everyone know the most protective way to secure their vehicles, just bc I know what it felt like when it happened to me... I wouldn't wish that on anyone...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Master Detailer

Installing for 13 years, but you cant type.

Sure, there is a way around it, there is a way around anything if you have the proper tools and the know how. And i never said there wasnt a way around it.

3 mintues you say? 3 minutes is more then enough time to get caught or draw a lot of attention.

I told my story lol, i never got the car back either

The one day i didnt block the car in they got it. Normally it was blocked by my dad's, or another car at my house. But that day i didnt do it for some reason. Doing so made it a walk in the park for them to get it. What pissed me off was my neighbor said noithing for over a year!

The car, is just a car. **** happens life goes on. They arent getting the new one without a fight
Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i made a rather large post in the 92-00 civic forum all about how its done. The mods decided it was a "how to" manual for stealing cars and deleted it. I see their point and abide by their decision.

if you do it right its hard to bypass. Given enough time and experience/tools a thief will bypass anything. But like i said, it takes time, the more time the better for you.

The "tricks" as i call them don't really work even though everyone thinks they do and likes them.
Tricks include things like removable steering wheels, pulling the ECU, fuses, relays, and petal locks. All of those are easily countered by the kind of people who are after our cars.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Master Detailer

They are decent layers though. Although they arent really hard to get passed they will slow the theif down.
Not to many theifs are willing to spend 5-10 or more minutes in the car.

Pulling the ecu is pretty stupid in my mind, dang near any ecu is going to be able to start and move the car.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i did same thing on TI even though i posted the ways to protect the weak spots they still deleted the thread.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Master Detailer

Some mods get caried away, like me being baned for saying shut the f up or grow the f up.
Seems like a power trip to me.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, if you saw the write up its pretty bad in what it tells you but then its common knowledge really. The mods believe some idiot will use it as a "how to" and steal a car with it. I disagree but I do see their point and will abide by the ruling. I am still adding to it and refining it and will put it up online somewhere eventually.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well its not hard to start a honda under the hood. And most of that will bypass your ignition kill if you have one. I am not going to go into details on how to. But alot of the kill switch write ups that I seen on the net are so easy to bypass. And 95% of the installs on members and customers cars are set up to fail. I seen installs with back up batterys and mini sirens. What good is the point if the brain and battery is in the drive kick pannel?

The longer you can keep a theif in the car without them able to shut off the alarm, or siren or tamper with anything. The greater the chance of you catching them or them getting caught. No theif in the world is going to sit in a car for 15 min to a hour trying to take out a alarm system. Your risking getting caught. I'll use my personal car for a example. Let figure how long it takes to pull out the dash... Hum about 45 min doing it quick. You have to have both doors open, Now your dealing with 2 sirens going off. One hidden main siren and one inside the car. So you unplug the main car battery. Thats not going to do anything. I have 2 dei 520t back up batteries that are upgraded to more capacity. So the car can sit there for a hour plus with the alarm going off. So lets say that the theif went straight for my batttery knowing there a alarm. He can't shut it off. He now pulling my center consule out and everything to start taking the dash out. He forgot one thing. I have gps tracking with early warning. The gps has its own back up battery too. And we are not going to mention that I received a phone call in 15 seconds of him setting off the alarm. Sorry to say, he has allready been caught or he is about to get caught. And as far as kill switches. Your not going to start my car period. Or have enough time to figure it out. Call it bragging? Nope do your alarm right and your good. As far as towing. I have real time tracking accurate to 4 feet.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Master Detailer

^^ Thats my point, almost to a t.

Sure you can get around the alarm, but it is going to take time, which a theif doesnt have.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thats why you park your car in a place unlikely to be stolen.

think if you were a thief or had a tow truck/dolly. where would be a perfect spot for you to steal a car.

think about it think about... now, dont park there...
i dont care where i go i always park my car within reach and push the status button many times to make sure im in range as much as i can be...
if i cant find a spot i wait. i rather wait than walk back home.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raverx3m
thats why you park your car in a place unlikely to be stolen.

think if you were a thief or had a tow truck/dolly. where would be a perfect spot for you to steal a car.

think about it think about... now, dont park there...
i dont care where i go i always park my car within reach and push the status button many times to make sure im in range as much as i can be...
if i cant find a spot i wait. i rather wait than walk back home.
sure thats easy at all times. Most people who have lives don't have that luxury of walking, staying in range etc.

its hard to protect your car, 3 minutes to steal a car is far fetched. i guarentee anybody who knows what they are doing 1 minute tops.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When my 00 Si was stolen, it was back in the day of 2004 and didnt know better.

My GSR had a 2way pager, multiple sirens, back up battery, black box ignition, ecu re-pined, pad long on column, hood / trunk pins.

Didnt get taken while I owned it but was attemped twice. I made a thread on Ti about most of the means to protect your car and of course no one cared.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?

I wanted to address the issue of going for the battery to disable the siren(s).

Of course I am aware that if a back up battery is used then the siren(s) will keep sounding, but I am talking about the psychological factor..

If it is at the house or some place where even some noise can cause unwanted attention for them, even it going off for 5 to 10 seconds is effective.

The point I am making is.. 'The gig is up with loud noise', especially with multiple sirens blaring!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this poll could potentially be really helpful if enough people respond to it
Old 10-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think regardless of any security you have in place unless its in a locked building there is still a chance of someone getting it.

As bad as it may seem I would only leave my modified hondas for 5min or less, no grocery shopping, no mall, no movies, it made me sick at the end (hence not owning modded hondas in 2 years) but these arnt cars you can build and expect to just park outside anywhere and not have attempted theft, to many people want what they cant afford for free simple as that.

Mind you I had, 2 Way alarm, kill switches, removable steering wheel w/ nrg hub lock, removed ecu (also re-pinned), pad locked column, integra 00/01 black box ignition installed, back up battery, 6 sirens and I still have theft attempted twice!

Most people don't go to the extent that I do and not all theifs expect this level but did get past a few levels of security.

My advice would be if you want a modded honda, blades, intercooler blingin dont expect it to be daily driver or even parked outside status.

Advice to stock honda owners, get means of protection just because you dont have a GSR swap doesnt mean somebody putting a stolen recovery isnt needing your body parts.

Layers of security is the only way.

Quick Reply: stolen cars, what type of security you had when it was jacked?