Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Remote/toggle lock doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote/toggle lock doesn't work

Hi, my friend has a 1998 Accord coupe v6..Whenever he use the remote to unlock the doors.. the driver side unlocks, but the passenger side doesnt unlock. When he goes inside and try to manually lock it by using the toggle, only the driver side works. He can lock the passenger door and unlock it manually from the outside though. Could it be an electrical problem? Actuators? Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 02:07 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Remote/toggle lock doesn't work (viet_tec)

Yes, it is probably wiring, [at door connector] or the actuator, check actuator by supplying power and ground directly to it, reverse the leads for other direction 94
Old 05-19-2007, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Remote/toggle lock doesn't work (viet_tec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viet_tec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, my friend has a 1998 Accord coupe v6..Whenever he use the remote to unlock the doors.. the driver side unlocks, but the passenger side doesnt unlock. When he goes inside and try to manually lock it by using the toggle, only the driver side works. He can lock the passenger door and unlock it manually from the outside though. Could it be an electrical problem? Actuators? Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you're talking about the factory keyless fob...it has priority locking on it and you'd have to hit the unlock button on the remote 2X to get the passenger side to unlock by remote. kinda sounds like wiring or a bad switch though. does the passenger side lock and unlock by turning the key in the driver's door cylinder???

Modified by jz98ctr at 9:15 AM 5/19/2007
Old 05-19-2007, 09:50 AM

he said it use to work pressing it twice, but not anymore. he hasn't tried turning the key from the driver side, but he says it works when he turns on the passenger side.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (viet_tec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viet_tec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he said it use to work pressing it twice, but not anymore. he hasn't tried turning the key from the driver side, but he says it works when he turns on the passenger side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless the passenger side door lock cylinder is totally screwed up it will open through the cylinder with the key...because that is mechanical motion. you have to try it from the driver's side to see if the passenger side door lock actuator is actually working properly. if upon trying to unlock the doors from the driver's side door lock cylinder and the passenger side does not unlock...you prolly got a bad passenger side actuator...or something wrong with it's connection.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (jz98ctr)

"When he goes inside and try to manually lock it by using the toggle, only the driver side works. " I assume he means power door lock switch. 94
Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

its a bad actuator...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (TurboB16aEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboB16aEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a bad actuator...</TD></TR></TABLE> Maybe, even probably, but could also be wiring. 94
Old 05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

If the lock/unlock wiring is all factory the chances are slim to none that wiring is the issue.. I've replaced a lot more door actuators in accords than had to run or fix wiring problems.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:33 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (TurboB16aEG)

Just the opposite for me, I have "repaired" more door harness to chassis harness plugs then I have replaced stock actuators, [on any Honda/Acura].

As mentioned, it's a simple test to confirm or eliminate the actuator as the problem, we just need the OP to try it. 94
Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Remote/toggle lock doesn't work

I have a 2001 Civic EX, when I click the button on the remote to lock/unlock the doors I hear a quiet clicking sound from the doors but the locks don't change state. Are these stuck actuators? Can they be unstuck or should they be replaced?
Thx,
Mike
Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (viet_tec)

I also can open passenger door from outside and it will open the driver side front and back doors but will not open passengers back door , you can hear it trying to open but it stays locked . Does that mean the back actuator is the bad one. passenger side locks will not open locks from driver side. I have a replacement actuator does it work for all doors
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Yes, most likely the actuators are "stuck", it also sounds like you have wiring problem, most likely broken leads in either the drivers door or pass. door boots, [where wires run from doors into the car] most common place is drivers door boot as it is opened/closed the most.
Your car, if stock, has a central locking system, locking or unlocking either front door will/should lock/unlock all the doors, the front door actuators have a switch in them to "tell" the Power Door Lock Control Unit if the door is locked or unlocked, so the PDLCU can lock or unlock the other doors, if that function is not working properly it is either a wiring problem, most common, or a problem with the PDLCU, less common.

If any one door lock is not working properly it is most likely it's actuator although it could be wiring into that door. 94
Old 11-07-2016, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for reply i think wiring is still good because it tries to engage actuator you can hear it, so i am goen to replace both of them

ted
Old 03-09-2017, 07:09 AM
Trial User

Pardon me while I revive this zombie thread. Its the most helpful source of info I've found online.

My car, 1999 Accord EX 2 door with factory alarm/keyless entry, has been having some issues for a few years. I'm trying to sort them out now. Most (all?) began after I got my windows tinted. Howver that was a few years ago so a few other things may have gone bad since then.

Here is what happens:

With the doors locked and the alarm on:
Key Fob Unlock button turns off alarm but door locks stay locked. I can hear a clicking under glove box but no sounds from door lock actuators.

With the doors unlocked the key fob will lock the passenger door, but not driver door. Alarm is not activated. If I push down the drive door lock and use the lock button it will lock the passenger door and turn on the alarm.

With the doors locked and I pull up on driver lock post:
Unlocks driver door, but nothing on passenger door.

With doors unlocked if I push down driver lock post it locks both doors.

With doors locked if I use the driver's side power door lock switch it will unlock the passenger door, but thats it.

With doors unlocked and using the driver power switch lock will only lock passenger door.

The passenger power lock switch tries to unlock passenger lock, but it strains a bit. Then after a few more tries it works, but seems slow and sticky. Nothing on the drive side lock.

Key will lock both from driver side but only unlock driver side.

Last edited by CA_Doug; 03-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.