Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Radio stolen- electrical problems

Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio stolen- electrical problems

2002 Honda Accord. Some punks broke into it and tried to steal the aftermarket deck, but I caught them and they ran. (Dumping the radio as they left.) Ever since, my dashboard lights and console lights do not work when my headlights are on.

Took the car to a mechanic, mechanic re-installed aftermarket deck, but it wouldn't power on. Then the mechanic installed the original stock deck and it didn't work either. Eventually, they figured out how to get the radio part of the deck to function, but the CD player doesn't work.

I made an insurance claim and now the insurance company is saying that the dashlight problems were caused by my mechanic and not by the radio thieves.... Is it possible that when they tried to steal the radio they messed up the electrical system and caused these problems?

I really don't think my mechanic would have done anything wrong and I think that the electrical problems happened immediately after the car was broken into, not after I took it to the mechanic. Please help, I don't know whether this is something I should be arguing with my insurance company about or not.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Radio stolen- electrical problems

check for a blown fuse in both underdash and hood fuseboxes. Sadly from personal experience ( i can't imagine some of the stuff I have witnessed with my own eyes)...many mechanics have no idea when it comes to mobile and vehicle electronics.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^check the fuses. most likely the main power wire from the radio along with the dimmer/dash light wire shorted out the fuses. very easy fix. if your mechanic couldnt figure that out then i think he needs a new profession. i bet he just ran a wire from the fuse box to the radio so it would turn on. i swear some mechanics need to go back to school. this is why i do everything myself. as far as the cd player part not working, it probably got damaged when the punks dumped the radio. the insurance wont do anything about it, hell half the time they dont even know anything about the mechanics of a car so they try to blame everyone else in order to not pay. insurance companies love to go after you for your monthly payment but hesitate to pay out a claim.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got to check your fuses. If the fuses fix the light next to do is if you cannot install the stereo yourself or have a friend that knows how, you need to find a good auto electronics install shop. Don't have your mechanic do it. Get someone that knows what there doing when it comes to wiring an OEM or aftermarket stereo.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the dimmer switch is not damage as it is very easy to burn it out. When they tried to steal your radio. The dimmer wire could have been left dangling in the dash and could of shorted it out.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear that man... but anyways the mechanic being the cause of the problem is very unlikely.. sounds like the insurance company is just trying to pin the liability to the mechanic so they don't have to cover the damage. I would suggest what everyone else is suggesting: check the fuses (ones under the hood and under the dash), if they just YANKED out the head unit, it is VERY likely they ended up pulling the whole wiring harness connected with it. That would definitely cause all the problems you mentioned.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its pretty annoying but not impossible to DIY.. check all connections around your dash look over the wires on the harness and if none of that works then maybe your cd player is just damaged from them throwing in on the ground. either way GL