Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

radio fuse blowing out, weak/distorted sub signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio fuse blowing out, weak/distorted sub signal

i have a 1988 honda civic. i've had a single 10 inch sub setup for about a year now and never had any problems until about a week ago. there was alternator whine and a really dirty signal coming through the sub. amp ground is good

tried wiring and soldering a new radio adapter today to make sure the plug to the radio is good.

my speakers get distorted easily and the sub doesnt work unless volume is high, and its distorted/weak.

after wiring the new plug on, the #12 fuse (cig lighter, dome light, hatch light) keeps instantly blowing out when i turn the key on. it had already blown on me once prior to installing the new plug.

also, my tailights/ cluster lights fuse blew randomly while driving.

could a bad ground somewhere cause this? i don't know where i could be shorting out since i shrink tubed everything i soldered. what grounds/ power wires should i look for?
Old 06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: radio fuse blowing out, weak/distorted sub signal

Shorts to ground or overloads blows fuses. Bad grounding just causes bad/noisy sound.

Tell us more about what you have. Head unit, amps, just bass amp with deck running speakers?? How is the amp grounding. Are you sure you wired right??? Did you ground the black HU wire to the parking light wire thinking it was ground??? They are at ground when the lights are off. HU still sees ground vie antenna and ISO mounting grounding black wire. Honda dimmer controls ground, not positive like everyone else does. HU black should go to "clean shiny bare steel " body ground.

High power HU will overload 1988 memory circuit. It was just meant to hold channel presets. Big yellow wire of modern decks supply amp power and should be safely routed to the battery with fuse at battery.

Old car, need to scope out your wires and look for nicks and or hacked wiring. There's many ways to trace a short.