Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

PLEASE HELP.. alarm won't stop going off

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP.. alarm won't stop going off

Hello,

I have have 03 Honda Civic and the alarm won't stop ringing. It started doing that after i had someone change the battery because it was dead. So for now i just have it disabled but now i can't lock and unlock my doors with my key remote. This blows. What could i do?

The alarm came with my car but it's an after market alarm system.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: PLEASE HELP.. alarm won't stop going off

The alarm is aftermarket, so it's more likely that there's either a problem with the alarm system or the wiring to the alarm system. You'll have to take it up with the installer or sort out the electrics yourself (for shorts or faults).
Old 12-16-2014, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
The alarm is aftermarket, so it's more likely that there's either a problem with the alarm system or the wiring to the alarm system. You'll have to take it up with the installer or sort out the electrics yourself (for shorts or faults).

Hi, Matt. Thanks. Any chance u could help me with sorting out the electrics? I haven't a clue on where to begin.

-emily
Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you post a picture of what your remote looks like?

You are also probably going to have to locate two other things:

Toggle switch

Push button

For the most part, they are usually installed close to each other in the same general location. Either flush mounted like the first picture above, or zip tied in a bundle. Install location of these two parts usually are above or behind(stick you hand back there) the driver's side kick panel(1st pic) or they are zip tied to the bottom of the lower dash panel that is under the steeing wheel closest to your knees. Take a look at the bottom of the panel right where this guy's hand is
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi MotoCARR,

Thanks. I love illustrations! Haha! I know I have a blue light that blinks and it has a button on it. Is that what you're talking about? The toggle switch, i would have to look for though. The only one I've seen is above the center console and is used to turn on the subs in the back. I'll take a look later tonight though and post pictures. Thanks for your response.

-emily

Last edited by EMILYKHAMPOU; 12-16-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EMILYKHAMPOU
Hi MotoCARR,

Thanks. I love illustrations! Haha! I know I have a blue light that blinks and it has a button on it. Is that what you're talking about? The toggle switch, i would have to look for though. The only one I've seen is above the center console and is used to turn on the subs in the back. I'll take a look later tonight though and post pictures. Thanks for your response.

-emily

No problem. Does the fob that you use to lock/unlock the doors have "Honda" stamped/embossed on it? Is the picture you posted exactly what your fob looks like?

Definitely take pictures, especially of the light. Your comment reminded me that some alarms/remote starts have the LED & button built into the antenna on the windshield too.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey there,

My remote looks exactly like the one pictured and it does have the "HONDA" embossed on it. It's supposed to lock and unlock my doors. Haha. I disabled it so that the alarm doesn't go off.

OK, I'll post the pictures tonight.

-emily
Old 12-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What did you do to disable it?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MotoCARR
What did you do to disable it?
Hey,
Ok, so I couldn't find the toggle switch but here's a pic of the push button with the LED light. It's connected to this box pictured in the 2nd photo. Not sure how it was disabled, someone did it for me.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Couple questions:

1. When the alarm is going off, do you hear the typical car alarm siren or is it just the car horn honking?

2. When the car alarm was going off, did you try hitting lock and unlock on the remote to get it to stop?

3. It looks like you unplugged the main power harness, did the car start like normal after it was disconnected?

4. Do you have any other remotes besides the OEM Honda remote?

Also attaching the manual for it for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
KARR 4040a.pdf (1.73 MB, 1486 views)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, try plugging it back in and seeing what happens.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Morning,

1. When the alarm is going off, do you hear the typical car alarm siren or is it just the car horn honking? It was just the alarm... I think. :/

2. When the car alarm was going off, did you try hitting lock and unlock on the remote to get it to stop? Yes, I did. And it would stop for a moment and it would go off again.

3. It looks like you unplugged the main power harness, did the car start like normal after it was disconnected? Yeah, the guy said he unplugged it. I'm not sure if my car started normal right after, but it starts just fine now. I'll ask him.

4. Do you have any other remotes besides the OEM Honda remote? Besides the Honda remote? No. I have two of the same remote with the HONDA embossed on it. Looks exactly the same.

I'm at work, so I'll try plugging it back in when I get home. Maybe it'll stop being stubborn and work. Haha! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

- emily
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EMILYKHAMPOU
Morning,

1. When the alarm is going off, do you hear the typical car alarm siren or is it just the car horn honking? It was just the alarm... I think. :/

2. When the car alarm was going off, did you try hitting lock and unlock on the remote to get it to stop? Yes, I did. And it would stop for a moment and it would go off again.

3. It looks like you unplugged the main power harness, did the car start like normal after it was disconnected? Yeah, the guy said he unplugged it. I'm not sure if my car started normal right after, but it starts just fine now. I'll ask him.

4. Do you have any other remotes besides the OEM Honda remote? Besides the Honda remote? No. I have two of the same remote with the HONDA embossed on it. Looks exactly the same.

I'm at work, so I'll try plugging it back in when I get home. Maybe it'll stop being stubborn and work. Haha! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

- emily

No Problem. Some times things like this just require it to be unplugged and plugged in again. It's not uncommon for alarms/remote starts to activate when reconnecting a battery terminal, and why several come with warning stickers.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey,

Ok so all it does is automatically lock my car every 3 mins or something and chirp once. Ugh! My remote doesn't do **** when I press it. The alarm doesn't even come on anymore. I don't know what was done to it or what happened. Thinking about getting a viper and just throw this one out. :/
Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like the car has passive activation, basically meaning the car will arm itself after doors are closed.

Follow these steps :
1. Get in the car and close all the doors
2. Turn the key to ignition(do not start, just until all the dash lights come on) and push the programming button three times
3. Within three seconds turn the ignition all the way off
4. Within three seconds turn the ignition on again
5. Press and release the programming button four times
6. If the car chirps one time press the lock button on the DOOR for one second, if the car chirps twice, it is already set in the mode where it should only arm with the remote and there may be another issue. Turn the ignition off.

If you get to step six and the car chirps twice, it may require an installer to get under there and poke around a little bit to try and figure it out. If you're thinking of going that route, you may be better off going the route suggested and have a Viper, Avital, Clifford, Python installed. A lot of audio shops charge by 15, 30 or 60 min to trouble shoot, typically around $0.50-$1 per minute to look at something. If you're willing to go and pay $60 to have this one looked at which I can tell you is at LEAST 10 years old, check out the Avital 3100L(Made by the same company as Viper, DEI/Directed Electronics). Its about $150 at Best Buy and includes installation. I put this in my 300zx two years ago and it has great range.

Avital 3100L 1,500Ft. Security System for Select Vehicles & Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello,

OK. I will try that first. If it still doesn't work I'll go to Best buys. I'd rather pay for a new one than 60 bux for someone to look at it. Thanks so much for helping and your advise. It's much appreciated.

- emily
Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good choice
Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That is a "dealer installed" aftermarket alarm.

The brand, "Karr" is a cheap alarm supplied primarily by small mobile outfits that do on-site installs for car dealers.

You are on the right track, replace it with a "brand name" alarm, Viper, [DEI] makes a good alarm.

You may want to check your remote, [batt.] or if batt. is good, try reprograming the remote. 94