Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question

Old 09-12-2006, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question

So ive been researching on the internet to find a way to alow my pioneer avic-d1 to use navigation while im driving. and i found this;

Hope this is OK to make a clean post of this, but alot of people are asking about this and the multi-page threads are not so clear. It contains some updated information from the original rec.audio.car post, as well.

Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and AVIC-D1. It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything. We figure these are service or testing modes, and were not intended to become public. Our Pioneer guy claims to not know anything about it, but who knows, that may just be a line.

This bypass will do three things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass: Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

its been posted on many websites, but my research has also brought to my attention that it doesnt work on the newer modles.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (skingfreak)

yep, just bypassed a d1 the other day. the guy didnt have video though, he had a backup camera he wanted to see all the time.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (JSPECSIR)

i've found great info at http://www.avic411.com
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (vicn77)

cool thanks, so than there isnt any isue on the d1's and the hack not working?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (skingfreak)

not that I seen, good info. But becareful on the n2. Pioneer will void the warrentty if they determine if you hack the unit. If you go thru bb or cc you can get away with it. They uses there own service center. I have a hard time because I have to go thru pioneer service center. Be carefull.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

I don't see a need to hack anything on the vast majority of units. On the old units, you could simply ground the parking brake wire. Then on the next generation units, you needed a toggle (momentary, normally closed) because it asks you to put the ebrake on and off and back on. I've heard of smart units that use the VSS signal (never dealt with one personally), but the VSS isn't a necessary connection anyway. If the unit uses the VSS or the navigation signal to block it out, just buy from a different brand. The brands don't want this to happen so they don't make it really difficult to bypass.

The ebrake is a simple switch. If you don't like using the ebrake switch, make your own damn switch! I shouldn't even be saying this. My philosophy is that if you're too dumb to figure that out yourself, you're probably dumb enough to watch the unit while driving. If someone dies or kills someone as a result, and the media decides it's a high profile event, it's quite possible that mobile video could suffer some setbacks if not an outright ban.

Wait a minute. Driving with the navigation on is legal, so the unit shouldn't be blocking it out while driving anyway.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (suspendedHatch)

it doesnt block out the nav while driving, just certain programming functions. and you dont really have to hack anything, you just ground the brake, and insert a grounded wire into the only empty slot in the harness. a z1 is much easier though, you just pulse the dimmer wire (flick thelights on/off) within a few seconds of cutting the unit on and it automatically bypasses.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Pioneer AVIC-D1 Hack Question (JSPECSIR)

the new z1 (made after 7/06) are bypassed the same way as the d1/d2's, so no worrying about turning your parking lights on/off.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sorry, but i'm a pro installer. i'd say screw hacks like soldering units because you're destroying warranty. just go ahead and drop a switch from parking brake to ground. that's all i've ever done on almost all of the newer dvd/nav units.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (perseverance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perseverance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm sorry, but i'm a pro installer. i'd say screw hacks like soldering units because you're destroying warranty. just go ahead and drop a switch from parking brake to ground. that's all i've ever done on almost all of the newer dvd/nav units.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But the pioneers nav. shuts off the unit from video/dvd input when your driving not navi. So you can bypass it by grounding the brake wire but once the nav sees that your moving then its shuts itself off. Connecting the 2 points on back dosnt allow the unit to shut down while still having nav.

like suspendedHatch said yes you can use a switch and not hook up the vss but once you move and the gps sees your moving then it shut off.

Also another thing he said is. Driving with the navigation on is legal, so the unit shouldn't be blocking it out while driving anyway. it is not blocking out the nav. its blocking out the video/dvd input.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (romoracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also another thing he said is. Driving with the navigation on is legal, so the unit shouldn't be blocking it out while driving anyway. it is not blocking out the nav. its blocking out the video/dvd input.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your right it is legal, and yes you can get your directions to your destination, but if you have a change in route, pioner will not allow you to change your destination while driving, which is my whole point in doing this.

[QUOTE=wrx-killer-Sti eater]My philosophy is that if you're too dumb to figure that out yourself, you're probably dumb enough to watch the unit while driving.QUOTE]

If you knew anything about the AVIC-D1, it does not play DVD video, and i do not plan on hooking up an AUX DVD setup, all i want to do, is be able to change my destination while driving.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (skingfreak)

Where are you guys tapping into the VSS and Reverse wires? I'm doing a D2 install into my dc4 and I don't have the wiring diagrams unfortunately.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ND40oz)

Well I'm not sure exactly which Integra you're talking about since (we're outside the Integra forums you know), but basically you can either buy the Haynes manual or buy a digital volt meter. They both cost around $15. The haynes manual will tell you in the back. If you get the voltmeter, go to the harness coming off the shifter and probe the pins until you find the one that goes to 12v only when youre in reverse. Alternatively, you could go pull the plastic cover off your trunk and look at the wire going to the light above the license plate.

The VSS wire is more difficult to verify. Basically you find some good info and relay on that. I'm not at work so I can't tell you.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

Sorry, it's a 96 LS, I have a multimeter, so I shouldn't have a problem determining the reverse wire. I guess I'll just buy a manual to figure out the VSS, I thought there may be an easy way to tell, but it sounds like you actually need to do some research. Oh well, probably better if I had a manual anyway instead of fumbling around until I figure it out like I usually do. Crutchfield told me to call them when I got to that part, so maybe they can lead me in the right direction as well. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ND40oz)

dumb question, but my D1 has not arive yet, but what is the VSS wire for? And what do you hook it up to?