Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Minimal alarm install question -- need to connect ignition/starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimal alarm install question -- need to connect ignition/starter?

So, I'm a noob when it comes to this. I have an Autopage RS-665 2-way paging alarm going into an EG. I have installed a standalone kill switch and the alarm when armed will ground a wire to do an additional kill. I don't want to use the built-in start kill at all (I can't even tell for sure if the alarm has this, the info from the factory is unclear). I'm also not messing around with the remote start. I'm looking for the alarm to trigger in response to door/hood/hatch opening and in response to sensors I will install. I want to keep the install minimal as possible. As far as I can tell, this will entail hooking up 12V constant and ground to the brain in addition to the various triggers and outputs (door actuators, sirens).

My question is, can I install this without messing with the ignition or starter wires? If I'm not doing remote start and not using the alarm's built-in kills, is there any reason I should wire that stuff up? Would love to hear back from somebody with experience. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:08 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Minimal alarm install question -- need to connect ignition/starter?

What year is your civic?
You will need the Yellow heavy gauge ign. one output lead, [also works as ign. input for alarm] none of the other heavy gauge leads are needed.
It should be connected at the ign. switch harness "true" ign. [hot in run and start].

You need all the wires in the H2 5 pin harness, but I do not recommend wiring both the red/white and red power leads to the same point. [like shown] connect red to ign. switch harness power lead, [hot at all times] and use the 12V free pin for the red/white, the white can go to park light free pin, [both on under dash fuse box].
The black to a good ground point.

The brown out to the engine bay for the siren, ground siren as close to it as possible, [mounting screw].

For door locks, [if you have power door locks] I need year of car.

On the H7 16pin harness you will need #2 for trunk/hatch pin, [use stock trigger] #8 for neg. door pins, [use stock trigger] #11 for hood pin, [need a pin switch] maybe #13 for dome light, [relay needed].
For the above connection points I need year of car. 94
Old 11-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey fcm, thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

The car is a 1995 Civic VX. But I have door wiring, cabin wiring, and accessories from an EX coupe that I will hook up for power locks, windows, and mirrors at some point. (Have already tested all this stuff in my car, connected to the fuse box, and it works!) I'm planning to attach the alarm's door-lock output wires to a connector that will plug into the built-in security system connector (usually unused) on the EX harness to make that work seamlessly for keyless entry. I'm planning to hook up constant 12V with one of the brown connectors that plugs into the fusebox, as suggested by suspendedhatch.

About the ignition wire, what purpose does that serve on the alarm? Does it disable the alarm when the car is running? Or trigger the alarm when someone tries to start the car with the system armed? Bit confused there.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:02 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ign. input to aftermarket alarm is so you can override the alarm if you loose the remote or it stops working, it is also needed for most programing functions, 94
Old 12-02-2016, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info. Thanks fcm.