Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Install a deck in a 96 Civic.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install a deck in a 96 Civic.

I was wondering if anyone had a good write up on installing a deck in a 96 civic? I want to put the deck where the stock CD player is, and take the wires from the stock deck but leave the stock deck in there, any help is appreciated.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Install a deck in a 96 Civic.

It's practically a plug and play, the aftermarket HU will bolt in the same way the the stock CD player bolts in, [ISO mount], some filing of the holes in the bracket may be needed to "center" the HUs face in the opening and to adjust how far face sticks out.

BTW, you do know if you have stock key-less entry the stock HU needs power and ground and key-lees plug connected. 94
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
It's practically a plug and play, the aftermarket HU will bolt in the same way the the stock CD player bolts in, [ISO mount], some filing of the holes in the bracket may be needed to "center" the HUs face in the opening and to adjust how far face sticks out.

BTW, you do know if you have stock key-less entry the stock HU needs power and ground and key-lees plug connected. 94
Hmm, doesn't sound like too big of a pain. I don't have stock keyless entry... Do you know where I can find a write up on how to actually get the stock CD player out? I've never installed a stereo in a civic.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i remember correctly, In the back of the dash, you'll find two bolts holding the deck in place. Unscrew and deck literally pops out the front of the dash.

for the lower cd player, you'll need to take the center and lower consoles out and unscrew the cd player. Everything else is plug and play.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redlinetuning
If i remember correctly, In the back of the dash, you'll find two bolts holding the deck in place. Unscrew and deck literally pops out the front of the dash.

for the lower cd player, you'll need to take the center and lower consoles out and unscrew the cd player. Everything else is plug and play.
Thanks man.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did yours come with a factory alarm? My 98 dx did, and when I took the factory headunit out, the factory alarm brain also had to come out as it sits on top of the HU. The alarm disable button was built in to the face of the HU. Can't have one without the other.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Marin county (aka death's waiting room), SF bay area

I also have a 96 civic and I guess the cd changer/tape dec got stolen at some point because my head unit can't do either. I was hoping to change it out for an aftermarket one but I noticed that the shape is kind of odd on the earlier models. Does anyone sell a faceplate I can stick in there or am I going to have to custom fabricate one?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just recently did this to my 97 w/ stock CD Player. First you need a stereo installation harness. I got one on eBay from " carneon ". This is a good removal write up - http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf -. Next you need to remove the bottom center from the dash all the way back to the armrest. There is 4 screws holding the CD player to the lower dash piece. Now install the new unit in its place and use 2 scews to attach it to the brackets. And reassemble.