Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

i got the loc all wired up now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
They let me pick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i got the loc all wired up now...

this is in my friend's 97 explorer by the way, the front speakers are producing noticeable distortion but everything works. only the front speakers are kickers, no external power supply just the hu and the hu is factory ford. now, the question is what is the problem? everything is wired up correctly. is it that the speakers require more power than the hu can deliver alone? if so should i splice the loc into the rear speaker wires or something else? i really don't feel like doing any more wire splicing, it took forever, it was just a big puzzle with ford. to ford. thanks.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does that model have a built in amp?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:28 PM
They let me pick

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

im not too sure, i don't think so though... it does have a cd changer and no cd player in the hu.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrdeadman)

Try this for me, unplug the loc and tell me if there is noise comming from the speaker, really cheap loc cause this sometimes.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:03 PM
They let me pick

before there wasn't any static but now there is.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrdeadman)

did you unplug it and check? when you unpluged it was there noise?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:21 PM
They let me pick

no, i meant before i installed the loc there was no distortion, but i cant just unplug stuff now, ill see tomorrow though. thanks for the suggestion, any more on what's wrong? when i unplug it if the loc is a piece then there will be noise? or is it something else?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:36 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: i got the loc all wired up now... (mrdeadman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrdeadman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is in my friend's 97 explorer by the way, the front speakers are producing noticeable distortion but everything works. only the front speakers are kickers, no external power supply just the hu and the hu is factory ford. now, the question is what is the problem? everything is wired up correctly. is it that the speakers require more power than the hu can deliver alone? if so should i splice the loc into the rear speaker wires or something else? i really don't feel like doing any more wire splicing, it took forever, it was just a big puzzle with ford. to ford. thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE> I am not sure I understand, your using the stock HU you have replaced the stock front speakers with Kickers, and you have no "external power supply just the hu ant the hu is factory ford", by "external power supply" do you mean amp, and if so what are you using the "LOC" for?
Please clarify. 94
Old 02-01-2006, 04:38 AM
They let me pick

Default Re: i got the loc all wired up now... (fcm)

im hooking up a subwoofer. so i need an loc because the deck is factory, the speakers are only being powered off the hu while the subs are being powered off an audiobahn amp. only the front speakers are producing distortion but everything works.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Is the "LOC" connected to the front speaker leads?

What kind of "distortion", is it just crappy sound, or is it noise when the motor is running?

What kind of "LOC" is it, [brand and model] where do you have it mounted?

Does the "LOC" have "chassis" ground wires on it?

Look here.... http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Ford-Wiring.pdf and tell us what kind of plugs are plugged into the back of the oem HU, is it the first type or the second type?

Please answer the above questions, [all of them] and I may be able to help.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:39 PM
They let me pick

the loc is connected to the front speakers. it is not a clean sound, you can still hear the music but it is staticy. it is the PAC one i bought at car toys for $16 and it really isn't mounted anywhere, it is just sitting behind the factory hu. the loc does have ground wires but the instructions said to connect those only if it wasn't working, it was working though, and when i connected them nothing happened anyway. the closest plug is the second one (98 and newer) but i got a color diagram off a different site and it worked, the colors on the wiring diagram you gave me were wrong.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:14 PM
fcm
Old Fart

The second set of plugs, [square black plug 2 rows of 4 wires and the long gray plug 1 row of 8 wires is the one used for the ford "premium sound system" and all 4 speakers are amped, [amp is behind rear pass. 1/4 panel trim] the colors of the wires may be diff., [one of Fords better ideas, keep changing the wire colors] but the pin positions are correct.
but if that is the plugs on the back of the HU then the "speaker plug" is more like a preamp output and connecting the "LOC" there may be what is causing the problem, I would disconnect the "LOC" and see if problem goes away, and if it does connect the "LOC" at the speaker outputs from the oem amp. 94
Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
They let me pick

it is actually one plug with 2 rows of eight wires and another plug with a probably eight or so wires. so the one with 16 wires looks like the last one on the sheet. what youre saying does make sense however i dont think it applies to this system. the plugs are different than what you describe. i will see if there is an amp behind the rear passenger 1/4 panel though and if there is i will disconnect the loc and splice it there. if not then i will probably splice it into the back speakers at the harness and see what happens. thanks for the info fcm.