Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

How do thieves hotwire your car and what to do to stop it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do thieves hotwire your car and what to do to stop it?

A bunch of my friends cars have gotten stolen in the past few weeks, and im just wondering what exactly theves do to get the car started without the key, etc, so that I can try and make it as hard as possible to steal my car. I am low on money and cant afford the alarm/autolock/etc, so i figure a DIY thing would help out alot (I already know the fuel cutoff, hood cable relocation, etc. I mostly want to be able to add in things and hide things so that it will slow down their progress in stealing my car.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:04 AM

Default Re: How do thieves hotwire your car and what to do to stop it? (Ketasoo)

yea mee too i want to know how to hotwire a car and how to "prevent it"

specifically a 98 type arr around the block.. how do i hot wire thiseerrr i mean prevent it from being hot wired...

DO NOT DISCUSS THIS TYPE OF **** ON A PUBLIC FORUM
Old 06-16-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Re: How do thieves hotwire your car and what to do to stop it? (Ketasoo)

Give me 3 wires and less than 5 mins and I can hotwire a car without the security key imbedded in the newer cars.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:30 AM

if you can install a remote car starter, you can hot wire a car.

every car I do one on gets a hot wire with my wire strippers, to verify the wires chossen are correct.

as above: 3 wires, IGN, +12 volts and the starter wire. "click, click, vrooom".

... but that just starts the car...

tips would include, fuel cut off, starter kill, ignition kill, headlight kill, ecu fuse, parking so you can't be towed, not pounding your system near where you park... ever!!, shatterproof tint, gps tracking systems..., the list is almost endless, be creative.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone that has a working knowledge of vehicle security systems will know the basics of hotwiring a car.

As mentioned above, the 3 critical wires are the +12V constant, IGN, and the Starter wires. But its not so simple anymore.

First they came out with the factory steering lock. Turn the steering wheel with the engine off and the wheel will lock. Just starting the motor will not let you drive off with it.

Second, most new vehicle's have a "chip" embedded in the key. Just giving juice to the starter will not turn the engine over.

The most common security upgrade is an alarm. Yes, if they're installed by a discount store or a dealership, they're not going to be hard to bypass. Usually, it'll just involve finding the alarm brain and unplugging the module from the harness.

However, if it's installed by a professional (someone that takes pride in their work and takes their time to do a custom installation specifically for your vehicle and this will probably cost you more than the going price of the alarm) you'll get a real security system.

Hiding your hood latch can help but most Civics and Integras' hoods can be popped from under the grill. So add a BackUp siren to your alarm. Even if wires leading to the siren are cut, it'll keep ringing until it's manually turned off with its provided key.

Disconnect your interior door lock switch by opening your door panel and unplugging it from behind the switch. When thieves try to use a wedge and pry the window open, they usually use a close hanger and go straight for the switch.

Disconnect or lock (if you have the option) your trunk release lever. Long hangers can reach down and pull the lever up.

Use a visible theft deterent device ie. Steering wheel locks, pedal locks, or shifter locks. But nothing works better than a bright blinking LED. So if you can't afford an alarm, go to a stereo shop and have them install a LED from like VARAD, that'll blink when you turn your IGN off. It'll probably be under $50 installed.

Unplug your ECU fuse. I only do this when I'm parking my car over night somewhere.

Ground your Tach wire with a hidden switch. A lot of guys have like Autometer tachometers hooked up to their cars for the whole Fast and the Furious look. Use it to your advantage. Splice a wire to the tach wire behing the gauge and put a switch on it. The other end of the switch, ground it. When the switch is open, it'll work fine. When the switch is in closed position, the engine will just crank but not start. Do this at your own risk. Some people will argue that grounding your tach wire is a bad idea. It is if the clown that installed your tach, hooked it up to the wrong signal wire.

Anyways, good luck. Hope those a**holes that broke into your car gets it in the end.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: How do thieves hotwire your car and what to do to stop it? (ScareyH22A)

well said scareyh22a...as i have gotten alot of pm's about security, i suggested doing what i did, hood pop actuator, and get rid of the hood pop all together.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get rid of hood pop and use hoodpins maybe? also, what year integras are available with the key for trunk pop? my 95 doesnt have it
Old 06-16-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (simpleaznx)

Not factory trunk pop, you can do after market. And with hood pins...you still can open the hood fairly easy. Thats why, do an actuator for the hood pop, and have it on your remote like i do.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

handgun/autoloc/car alarm. is the best at stopping a theif..