Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

help me help my friend pick out a headunit!! alpine or pioneer!! help! lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me help my friend pick out a headunit!! alpine or pioneer!! help! lots of pics

I've kinda narrowed it down to some Alpines and Pioneers, but I'm open to suggestions!

Shes got an 04 Explorer, and her and her husband put a kenwood system in there, and a crappy bazooka sub/amp combo.....but it doesn't sound good, shes LOOKING FOR quality and no crackling when she turns it up! and she turns it up, she likes her music LOUD!!!

But i've talked her into getting a whole new system.

Since I get a discount on Crtuchfield and infinity/jbl, were gonna get some stuff thru there.. headunit = crutchfield / speakers = infinity/jbl

Shes definately getting a JL stealth box with a 10w3 for her explorer
http://www.crutchfield.com/App...p=113

So I've narrowed it down to these headunits and we need IPOD control, I'd like to see her get BT built in, but she doesn't care 1 way or the other about BT....

So, here they are:

Pioneer DEH-P7000BT

Alpine CDA-9886

Pioneer p6000USB

Pioneer p8000BT

Alpine 9884

Well thats the h/u's I can think of right now, let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions, comments... shes looking to keep it under $300 for a headunit!

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics of friend or no help + Ban.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

I recommend the Alpine 9884 or the 9886.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (94_DC4)

I did a full system install in a friends 02 expedition using the Pioneer Premier P600UB, components in the front doors, two ways in the rear, the JL stealth enclosure (got it off ebay for a sweet 100 bucks used with zero problems), and two pioneer amps and I can say for sure it was alot of work but the system sounds FANTASTIC.... The deck has alot of adjustments that can be made as well as you can turn off the internal amp on the deck if need be...

I personally like pioneers and so I'm tend to be biased towards them..

Oh and I'd suggest checking out http://www.sonicelectronix.com, they have alot bigger selection (including the premier pioneers) as well as better prices and great customer service (I've used them well over 20 times and been happy with every purchase).
Old 05-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (CarbonizedDX)

pioneer
Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JSPECSIR)

pioneer 2 - Alpine 1
Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (hans stoner)

Alpine and JL Audio amps for both the sub and the high-pass.

If she likes to crank it up and wants good SQ then proper amplification is needed along with properly installed speakers, and if it's between Infinity and JBL, go with the Infinity. 94
Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

**UPDATE**

Check this out... So her husband and her were talkin, and all they're getting right now is the stealth box, and gonna run it off a 500w bazooka amp!!

They're like, well, the power is the same on my headunt (kenwood), as the Alpine, so I won't notice a difference....
and her husband is like, well, they're aftermarket speakers, so you don't need new ones (kenwood again)...

People who don't know what they're talking about should STFU!!! lol
Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (hans stoner)

Without knowing the model number of the Bazooka amp it is hard to say if it will work properly, however if it is a 1x500W RMS into 4 ohms amp, it will drive the JL Audio Stealthbox very well, recommended RMS power for the 10W3v3-4 is 300W RMS.
Again without the model numbers of the HU and speakers it will also be hard to say exactly how well they would work together, however the husband is correct about the power of the Alpine and Kenwood being about the same and just changing the HU will not make much diff., although SQ will be better with the Alpine IMO.

I would have a close look at the speaker install to make sure they are installed properly, it will make no diff. at all what HU is used if the speakers, [whatever brand] are not installed properly.

I would also rewire the Kenwoods constant power, [yellow] directly to the batt., run a 12ga fused power lead from the batt. to behind the HU and connect the HUs yellow to it.
at the same time I would add a 12ga ground lead from the HUs chassis to the cars chassis, stock radio harness constant powers and grounds can not supply the current the high power aftermarket HUs need to work properly, [produce rated RMS wattage]. 94