Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

HELP! Dashboard lights shut off, stereo lights flicker...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Dashboard lights shut off, stereo lights flicker...

First off the car is a 2000 Honda Civic EX
Ok so heres the problem; the first time this happened was about a month ago and would occur a couple times a week but now the lights wont turn on at all. The dashboard lights, AC climate control lights, and the shifting panel (automatic) lights would just turn off all of a sudden while im driving and when that happened the stereo lights start to flicker on and off. The deck is a eclipse CD3000. But the headlights and everything else work, like the e-brake light, turn signal lights and all that in the dash.
Now when this first started to occur it would happen after the car warmed up and was running of like 30mins. Then all of a sudden, bame everything in the dash, ac, and around the shifter just turned off. The gauge needles still work and everything. Now though the lights dont work from when i turn on the car.
Ive checked the fuses under the dash but couldnt find anything wrong. Another thing is that whenever the lights go out the Eclipse deck lights would flicker like its trying to tell me something via morse code haha This is really starting to **** me off and i will take it into a dealership if i have to but if its some sort of easy fix that i can do then i'd much rather do that. Thanks for looking guys and i hope i can fix this soon.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:31 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: HELP! Dashboard lights shut off, stereo lights flicker... (tkblingx2)

The first thing I would check is the Eclipse HUs wiring, make sure the illumination wire in the stock radio harness, [red/black] is not shorting out, and if connected to the HUs wiring make sure it's the correct wire.

Also I would check the "Dash Lights Brightness Controller" make sure it is plugged in properly.

Where Did you have the HU installed, did the problem start after the Eclipse was installed? 94
Old 01-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I installed the HU myself. Its probably like my 3rd of 4th one in a honda and i used a wiring harness. The thing is ive had this head unit since like summer or spring of 06 and this problem just started to happen like a month or so ago. First it was spaced out but now the lights dont come on at all. I'll try and check the deck later today if i have time. And when you say the light brightness control are you talking about the wheel thing that controls the gauge light brightness?
Any other idea guy? I'm stumped :/
Old 01-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure the illumination wire in the stock radio harness, [red/black] is not shorting out, and if connected to the HUs wiring make sure it's the correct wire.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-27-2007, 06:06 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (tkblingx2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tkblingx2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And when you say the light brightness control are you talking about the wheel thing that controls the gauge light brightness?</TD></TR></TABLE> Yes. 94
Old 02-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well after checking anything i could within my knowledge and power i finally decided to take my civic into the dealership....turns out my car alarm had "fried" (thats what they told me over the phone) my dimmer from when the lights flash whenever i lock/unlock my car. The many years of locking and unlocking had its toll on the dimmer i guess and gave out. Just posting incase someone else comes up with a problem like mine.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Default Re: (tkblingx2)

then the alarms light flash is hooked up improperly, and I'm not sure how that could be, the dimmer control dims the dash lights by "limiting" the amount of ground the lights get, the alarms light flash should be connected to the hot side of the circuit, red/black the dimmer ground is a red lead. 94