Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

6.5" speaker depth bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.5" speaker depth bracket

hi, i have a set of infinity perfect 6.1 components in my 2-door integra. from the front the tweeters sound awesome and the bass is tight and clear.. however, when i sit in the back to test how they sound i notice the bass actually sounds lower some. i dont know why exactly. what i'm wondering is if i were to mount about 0.5 to 1 inch of a wood layer between the woofer and the door, increasing DEPTH, will it bring out lower bass frequencies more? if so, will it be a noticable differnce? please give me input on this subject as much as you can please!!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:21 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 6.5" speaker depth bracket (noob with an RS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noob with an RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hi, i have a set of infinity perfect 6.1 components in my 2-door integra. from the front the tweeters sound awesome and the bass is tight and clear.. however, when i sit in the back to test how they sound i notice the bass actually sounds lower some. i dont know why exactly. what i'm wondering is if i were to mount about 0.5 to 1 inch of a wood layer between the woofer and the door, increasing DEPTH, will it bring out lower bass frequencies more? if so, will it be a noticable differnce? please give me input on this subject as much as you can please!!</TD></TR></TABLE> A speaker mounted to wood will always sound better then when mounted to anything else, that said, the diff. in bass responce you are hearing has more to do with how far you are from the speakers, and I bet if you climb into the hatch and close it, the bass will sound evan better. 94
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: 6.5" speaker depth bracket (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A speaker mounted to wood will always sound better then when mounted to anything else, that said, the diff. in bass responce you are hearing has more to do with how far you are from the speakers, and I bet if you climb into the hatch and close it, the bass will sound evan better. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

so do u suggest i mount the speaker to wood?? right now its mounted on to a metal plate that came with the components. but the metal plate is held to the cars door by only two screws.. hahah i got kinda ghetto cuz the metal plate wasn't a perfect fit to the door so only two holes could be drilled efficiently.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:46 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noob with an RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so do u suggest i mount the speaker to wood?? right now its mounted on to a metal plate that came with the components. but the metal plate is held to the cars door by only two screws.. hahah i got kinda ghetto cuz the metal plate wasn't a perfect fit to the door so only two holes could be drilled efficiently. </TD></TR></TABLE>Well if you think your speakers sound good now, mount them properly and see. Speaker mounting tips..........[ golden rules ]
1- Mount speaker to a flat surface.
2- You need an airtight seal between the front and the back of speaker for at least the dia. of the sp., from its outside edge, all the way around, [ a speaker with a 5" cone needs to be centered in a 15" airtight surface, or as close to airtight as you can get it]
3- MASS, the more mass the speaker is mounted to the better, and the best mass is wood.

You can use the stock speaker mounts as templates to make MDF speaker mounts that would use the same screw holes to mount, then mount the speakers to them, that way you get a Wooden Mass, that is Flat, so you can get an Airtight mount for the speaker 94
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: 6.5" speaker depth bracket (fcm)

hey FCM, thanks for the great input. imma try doing all that when i get to the shop later at work. but just one part i didnt get; can you go into detail what u mean when u say "[ a speaker with a 5" cone needs to be centered in a 15" airtight surface, or as close to airtight as you can get it]". thanks. you've been great help to me since i've begun using this forum.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noob with an RS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey FCM, thanks for the great input. imma try doing all that when i get to the shop later at work. but just one part i didnt get; can you go into detail what u mean when u say "[ a speaker with a 5" cone needs to be centered in a 15" airtight surface, or as close to airtight as you can get it]". thanks. you've been great help to me since i've begun using this forum.</TD></TR></TABLE>It just means the best would be that the speaker is in a box, but you can get away with a baffle that is airtight for 5" away from the edge of the speaker, [ a speaker that has a 5" cone] it does not matter that that that the baffle is wrapped around a corner, [like the speaker location in a Honda/Acura] but as you can see when you take the door panel off there are lots of holes into the door, big and small, one good way to improve speaker SQ, [after proper speaker mounting] is to replace the plastic vapor sheet with a Dynamat, or the like, sheet and cover the whole door 94
Old 01-12-2005, 03:07 PM

ahh ic what u mean. ok, one last question please. is there a particular type of wood that i should use to space the speakers between the door? should it just be one solid piece of wood about 3/4"?? what about the kind of wood that looks like it has several layers of thin wood?? in short, what kind of wood and how thick of wood should i use fcm? sorry for bugging.. just wanna optimize my install. i'm gonna grab some dynamat later on when i have some more money