Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Subwoofer/Amp Installation Tutorials?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer/Amp Installation Tutorials?

Today I bought my friends old sound system from him. The set up consists of 2 10" MTX Subwoofers w. enclosure, and a Rockford Fosgate 600W amp.

Now, my next step is to.... install it. I havent got any idea where to start. Would anyone know where I could find a tutorial of how to set this up, and what I will need for wiring. I would like to do this by myself, hence why im asking for a tutorial rather then tracking down my brother and having him do it.

Before someone comes out swinging at me for searching, I tried... and any wordings that I had tried yeilded nothing. Sorry if I missed something. Reguardless, I need help.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Subwoofer/Amp Installation Tutorials? (Coheed)

Few basics to get you going:

Needs:
Power wire
AGU Fuse
Ground wire (same gauge as power wire)
Speaker Wire
Remote On wire
RCA cable
Shrinkwrap
Lighter
Side cutters (or wire stripper if you have)

First, disconnect battery

Take appart your dash until you can access the back of your stereo head unit. Attach RCAs to the appropriate output on the back of the deck and run these down the LEFT hand side of your car interior (under carpet, under door moulding, etc) to the trunk (or where ever you are mounting your amp).

Identify (through whatever means: manual, internet, search here) a remote-on lead from the back of the head unit. An unused power antenna wire is good. You just want something that only has power when the car is 'on'. Splice this wire (then shrink wrap it) and run your remote-on wire down the RIGHT hand side of the car to the trunk or where ever your amp is mounted.

Run power wire from engine bay (through a grommet in the firewall), down the RIGHT hand side of your car (under the carpet, under the door moulding, etc) to the amp location.

Run a ground wire from the Amp ground to the frame of your car. A good contact is important.

Attach the power wire (not hooked up to battery yet) to the amp.

Attach the remote-on wire to the remote lead on the amp. Should be pretty obvious.. one will be +, one - and the other remote.

I don't know enough about your sub wiring setup to tell you how to hook up the subs to the amp:

If you have two wires from each sub, put sub1 to left + and - and put sub2 to right + and -.
OR if you have two wires from each sub you can attach Sub1 + and Sub2 + to Amp Left + and Sub1 - and Sub2 - to Amp Right -. Confirm the output of the amp (bridged) will not exceed the limits of your subs.
If the subs are wired together and you only have two wires in total then you have to decide if you want to bridge the amp (Red sub wire to Left + and black sub wire to Right -) or use a single channel (Red to right + and black to right -, for example). I can't answer this question for you. Bridging significantly ups the output of the amp and could be too much for those MTX subs.

Next, Attach power wire under hood to one end of the AGU fuse lead and the other end of the fuse to the positive battery lead (many ways.. splice, power block, ring).

Don't put your dash back together until you know everything is working!

Put the negative ground back on the battery, put the positive lead back on the battery. Set amp to low pass mode if available and you aren't using a crossover.

Turn ignition to accessory position and make sure amp comes on and that everything is working well. Set levels on the amp (How-to: search here).

So there's my quick instructions.. hope it helps
Old 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coheed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Today I bought my friends old sound system from him. The set up consists of 2 10" MTX Subwoofers w. enclosure, and a Rockford Fosgate 600W amp.

Now, my next step is to.... install it. I havent got any idea where to start. Would anyone know where I could find a tutorial of how to set this up, and what I will need for wiring. I would like to do this by myself, hence why im asking for a tutorial rather then tracking down my brother and having him do it.

Before someone comes out swinging at me for searching, I tried... and any wordings that I had tried yeilded nothing. Sorry if I missed something. Reguardless, I need help. </TD></TR></TABLE> link http://www.installdr.com and http://www.the12volt.com. 94
Old 08-27-2004, 09:21 PM

Here are two websites that I got my start at.
The first is a great tutorial for car audio. It goes through some home audio as well. Anyways, take a look:
http://www.bcae1.com/

The second is my car audio forum, well not mine, one that I have been a member for years. The mods are great. Take a look at the Car Audio FAQ and Guides area, you will find a ***** load of information:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/bcaraudiotalk

Goodluck.

Z