Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Eonon screen for CarPC slight flicker problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Eonon screen for CarPC slight flicker problem...

I have an Eonon 7" hooked up to my CarPC and I get a little bit of interference from something...just little lines...nothing crazy like an old tv but enough to where it bothers me...

Car- 00 Civic EX

Lines don't increase or decrease with speed/driving.

The s-video to rca wire going from my laptop under my seat is kind of small compared to what it should be...would increasing the size of that help possibly?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Eonon screen for CarPC slight flicker problem...

It could help, larger wire = less resistance. Do you have the signal going to any other monitors in the car? I usually get those lines when I'm trying to use such a small signal to feed multiple screens...
Old 10-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just one screen...but signal path goes

Laptop S-video out...S-video to RCA adapter...RCA cable...to screen.

Thin wire plus adapter might be doing it.

I just bought wire with one side s-vid the other side rca with gold connectors and much thicker so I'm gonna try that out tomorrow...

It was kind of a dumb way to do it but I had the s-vid rca adapter on hand when I started the project so I figured I would use it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK... we can only assume one of two things... a dirty signal from you pc, or signal loss through your cable, plus having the junctions that go from s video to composite. Head to radio shack and grab a cheap composite video signal amplifier, and see if that cleans the signal. If it doesnt work, you can just return it. If it doesn't work, then would assume its a dirty signal from the pc, or it could be distortion at the monitor. Test this by hooking your laptop with the same cable set up you've got onto your tv... If you still get the distortion, you know its not the monitor.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another thing I have to test is the power adapter I have for the laptop...it goes directly to dc power...whereas before I had the wall adapter to a power inverter...and I can't remember if I had the problems with that setup or not. I took it out pretty quickly because the inverter fan was annoying as hell.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, didnt even consider a voltage issue to be your problem. Is this something that just started for you, or has it been constant since you put the thing in your car? What part of the panhandle are you from? I used to live in Destin, FL, and I miss it like crazy! what is the power input requirement for your PC? So, you've actually got a straight up DC cable for the laptop that doesn't have an AC to DC tranformer? Your power cord just goes straight from your 12v adapter in above your cup holders straight to the input on your PC, with no power inverter? When you have the lines in your monitor, are you also getting lines on the screen of your laptop?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in Ft walton not far from. Destin isn't as fun anymore. The cops have been cracking down on EVERYTHING. Spring break isn't like it used to be in Panama City either.

It's been there since I've put it in.

I'll check the power requirements for the laptop...it's got the transformer on the adapter.

The lines on the monitor I don't think show up on the screen...I never use the screen so I'll have to pop it tommorrow...I'm gonna try the new vid cable and if that doesn't knock it out I'll let you know from there. Thanks for all the help btw.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, I used to live off of Eglin Pkwy in FWB... What are you talking about though, the cops are all dicks, all the time around there, lol! I got ARRESTED for not having my tag displayed properly by Okaloosa county sherriff... They like literally put shackles on me and **** when they put me in jail, for my tag! I actually used to work for Unique Audio in Destin...

Anyway, do you have any other sources hooked up to that 7" monitor? Like a seperate DVD player or anything? If so, do you get lines through that also?