Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

EG-era Gathers stereo head unit w/AUX in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default EG-era Gathers stereo head unit w/AUX in?

I got a Kenwood-made Gathers stereo head unit that I was going to put into my EG. It came with the CD changer that goes in the long armrest console as well, but I really have no use for that. My current setup is a stock '99 SI USDM stereo head unit with an AUX IN converter...uses the head's CD changer port for the AUX IN. It's worked well for me.
So I decide to install the Gathers head unit and get an AUX adapter that would work with the Kenwood/Gathers, which has an 8-pin DIN CD changer port. I went to the local auto stereo shop and they dug around in the back until they found an old Honda stereo AUX adapter. It also has an 8-pin DIN jack. I figure I'm good to go, so I go to install it and I get nothing when I switch to CD. They weren't sure it work at the shop either, so I'm guessing the Kenwood/Gathers is wired differently that the old USDM Honda DIN stereos.

Has anyone tried this out and gotten it to work? Is there a specific adapter that you all know of that will work with these stereos? I really want to stay with the stock look, but have a nicer stereo. Yeah, I know I won't be able to listen to stations above 90Mhz, but that doesn't bother me. I use the iPhone 90% of the time anyway.

fm