Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

EG door speaker fuse??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG door speaker fuse??

Front door speakers on my EG hatch are not working. I dont have the normal fuse door that labels what each fuse goes to, so im not sure if there is a separate fuse from the radio and the speakers themselves. The radio works, the speakers do not. Have no power going to them. I removed and changed a bunch of fuses around when i was puting my car back together so im not sure if a fuse is missing. If the radio fuse powers the speakers, then i guess ill have to look around for a wiring problem. If there is a fuse for the speakers, could someone give me which number it is on the fuse block??
Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: EG door speaker fuse??

a fuse doesn't supply the power to the speakers your radio does. if your radio is turning on then it isn't a fuse issue. your speakers may be blown, there may be a short in the wiring, or they might not be connected. could be a number of issues, start off by pulling the speaker and doing a simply "pop" test with a 9 volt battery, that will help tell you if the speaker coil is blown. check your connections at speaker and behind the deck as well.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well ofcourse i checked the connections. I said that i am getting no power to the speakers themselves. If there was a fuse for the speakers, if the fuse was missing, then that could account for no power getting to the speakers. But, since you say they are powered by the radio itself, then i guess ill have to trace wires from the speakers back to the radio. thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

worst case scenario run your own power wire from deck or amp through the door and to the speaker. sometimes trying to track down a short is way more time consuming then just taking the 15min to run your own wires.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried the "pop" that just bn me83 suggested? that would give you the easiest way to determing if you've got something up with the wiring (assuming there is no external amp powering the speakers).. I need to know some more info if you don't mind? is it an aftermarket, or stock radio? Do you have an external amplifier? Have you tried testing the speaker outside of your front speakers mounting locations, to find out if those speakesr are actually not blown? Like what was stated earlier, there is no fuse in-line between the radio and speakers. This shoud be an easy problem to solve, just give us a little more info... Also, I know this sounds stupid, but have you checked your fade and balance on the radio? I had a cutomer 3 days ago that came in bc her left side speakers weren't playing. Her balance was just all the way to the right, she assumes bc her younger brother was playing with the controls on her radio...
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NO FUSE for your speakers. As "justbnme" said... if the radio itself wasn't turning on at all...THEN it would be a fuse issue.

Sounds to me like you either have a grounded speaker wire or bad speakers. USUSALLY if 1 or more of your speaker wires touches ground...the radio will shut off it's outputs to prevent damage to it's internal parts.

Take your speaker out of the door and try to pop it with a SMALL battery so you can see if the speaker itself is still any good. I suggest, disconnecting the speaker completely, and using a digital multimeter measure it's impedance. It should be around 4 ohms or so. If it's closer to 0 ohms or a rediculously high # like over 100 ohms...the speaker's fubarred and you need new ones. Sometimes if 1 speaker is fubarred...it will cause the radio to shut off it's outputs as well.

Usually...if the speaker pops...it's ok. But it IS BEST to measure each speaker's impedance so it's not a guessing game.

If all your speakers' impedance readings are close to each other AND around 4 ohms... it's either something internal with the head unit or the wiring.

Try the couple things we suggested and get back to us.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bad connection at the pin connector where it plugs in at the door. Car was freshly painted and i guess some paint got on the tabs. Cleaned the tabs off and the speakers are working just fine.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stupid molex plugs... glad you got it figured out.