Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Stereo installation help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo installation help

This isn't for a Honda but I thought I would ask here anyway. Ok my grandmother has an 03 Buick Rendezvous and it has a cd player in it but she wants a tape player to listen to books on tape. She also wants the cd player. Her birthday is coming up in a about 1 and a half weeks and I was thinking maybe get her a new Headunit with a tape and cd player. The only one I could really find is the Sanyo ones at crutchfield.com. I have installed head units into two of my vehicles one with a wiring harness and one running all new wires. No big deal takes me 20-30 min. Well here is the problem with this her car has On-Star and she likes that feature. The wiring harness from crutchfield is $80 as you have to keep the door chime to remain legal now but the harness says it doesn't work with on-star. My question is is there anyway to change the head unit and keep on-star? Anyone know anything about Sanyo head units? It isnt my favorite brand but the only ones I can find that will fit. I mainly am concerned about loosing on-star as she likes it and I'm pretty sure would not be happy about loosing it so are my choices either On-Star or Cassete player or can I get an aftermarket radio to work with On-Star?
Old 10-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stereo installation help (hometheaterman)

Go the easy way,get a portable deck and an FM transmitter so it hooks up wireless.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Stereo installation help (pon55)

yes there is a module to keep the onstar, it's not cheap though, Call your local car stereo shop, they should have it in stock or be able to get one cheap. The part number is vtgmrc01...or something close to that.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Stereo installation help (Goatsterrman)

Oh yeah for the cassette situation. You will most likely have to do a tape player with a cdchanger. There are very few combo units, and they are usually very expensive.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stereo installation help (Goatsterrman)

The only two I have found are Sanyo and JVC but the JVC will not fit as it is too big so it looks like the Sanyo is the only way. I don't know that they want a cd changer as I have one and don't like it that much. Are the Sanyo ones any good? I found at crutchfield an adapter for On-Star but it wont work with there radio only some GM Vehicles so I will check into the one you said and will look for it. They may just end up without a tape player or just one hooked into an fm modulator or something.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok the number you gave is the wiring harness to keep the door chime which you are suppose to do to remain legal but it says you will loose on-star.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try http://www.soundgate.com 94
Old 10-30-2004, 02:08 PM

companies like PAC and blitzsafe(<--i think) make integration harness' for vehicles like that, also some airbag controls run trough the new gm vehicles which is why you would have to relocate and retain the factory radio eslewhere in the vehicle
Old 10-30-2004, 07:02 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: Stereo installation help (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This isn't for a Honda but I thought I would ask here anyway. Ok my grandmother has an 03 Buick Rendezvous and it has a cd player in it but she wants a tape player to listen to books on tape. She also wants the cd player. Her birthday is coming up in a about 1 and a half weeks and I was thinking maybe get her a new Headunit with a tape and cd player. The only one I could really find is the Sanyo ones at crutchfield.com. I have installed head units into two of my vehicles one with a wiring harness and one running all new wires. No big deal takes me 20-30 min. Well here is the problem with this her car has On-Star and she likes that feature. The wiring harness from crutchfield is $80 as you have to keep the door chime to remain legal now but the harness says it doesn't work with on-star. My question is is there anyway to change the head unit and keep on-star? Anyone know anything about Sanyo head units? It isnt my favorite brand but the only ones I can find that will fit. I mainly am concerned about loosing on-star as she likes it and I'm pretty sure would not be happy about loosing it so are my choices either On-Star or Cassete player or can I get an aftermarket radio to work with On-Star? </TD></TR></TABLE> The part you need is Soundgate p/n GMCHIME keep the chimes and the Onstar , gives you an acc., everything you need, [except the mounting kit] 94