Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Do I an amp with more RMS wattage than the subs or less?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I an amp with more RMS wattage than the subs or less?

I've gotten many diffent answers, and am very confused. I'm buying a sub that puts out 250 RMS. Do I get an amp with equal amount or more, or less. Someone told me that a sub will blow if the amp wattage is greater (&gt than the sub. What's right ? I want to put together a system as soon as possible. I just need to know what amp to buy.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Do I an amp with more RMS wattage than the subs or less? (Dub C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dub C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've gotten many diffent answers, and am very confused. I'm buying a sub that puts out 250 RMS. Do I get an amp with equal amount or more, or less. Someone told me that a sub will blow if the amp wattage is greater (&gt than the sub. What's right ? I want to put together a system as soon as possible. I just need to know what amp to buy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A amp in the 250 thru 300 range would be great for you, Just make sure you match your sub- find out the ohm states of your sub, svc,dcv,4ohm or whatever. Find a amp that will give you the power rating you want at your subs ohm rating. Try to get a class d momo amp. They are more efficiant. More power to your sub, instead of you power being wasted as heat. What sub do you have?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo thanks for the quick response.

I was also wondering if I do get 2 subs at say 200 rms each it'll be a total of 400 all together, then would I have to get an AMP that is 2 channels where the rms wattage adds up to the total? In other words, for example if the specs reads like 100w x 2 does each sub get a 100 watts of power or do each sub get 200 watts?

I was thinking about getting an 2 12" Alpines from crutchfield.com. Does anybody have any recommendations on what other subs to get?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dub C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yo thanks for the quick response.

I was also wondering if I do get 2 subs at say 200 rms each it'll be a total of 400 all together, then would I have to get an AMP that is 2 channels where the rms wattage adds up to the total? In other words, for example if the specs reads like 100w x 2 does each sub get a 100 watts of power or do each sub get 200 watts?

I was thinking about getting an 2 12" Alpines from crutchfield.com. Does anybody have any recommendations on what other subs to get?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope the amp would put out 200 watts and the subs would share that so about 100 watts to each speaker. Asking about which subs to get here is about to open a floodgate for you. First ask yourself what kind of bass do you want. Second how much room do I want to give up, Third is this going to be sq or spl. Last or it could be number one. What is mine budget. That is going to play a major factor.