Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

The dealer stuff - "security system"

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The dealer stuff - "security system"

When you get to the finance office in the process of buying a new car, the finance guy try to sell you this "security system." He said the car is already wired for it. If you don't want it, they will remove the chip. And it will not work.

Price $250. Don't want it. How about $200? Don't want it. How much are willing to pay? Don't want it.

Questions:

1. Are they already pre-wired? Is it done like how an normal (Viper) alarm would be?

2. All they have to do is remove a chip? Is it that easy? They removed it as they prep the car.

3. Is this security system any good at all?

I just want a basic system and was thinking I may call them back and offer them $100??? My reason for wanting the basics is because I had the "good stuff" alarm system on my old Civic and the punks were able to beat it.

What do you think about this "dealer security system"?

** Sorry no details. But I think it will sound the horn if the doors are open and disable the starter.**

Old 05-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The dealer stuff - "security system" (GoLowDrew)

It's pure crap. It's not even alarm, it's a kill switch chip. So easy to bypass it's actually self explanitary. I wouldn't even buy the car since they can't give it to you w/out it already pre wired. That would just **** me off. You'll have to cut it out and solder your starter wire back together. Or you could leave it, but it makes it easier to hotwire the car.

How do they get off charging $250 or even $100 for it? I'll sell you one for $5 plus shipping. I always remove them.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: The dealer stuff - "security system" (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll have to cut it out and solder your starter wire back together. Or you could leave it, but it makes it easier to hotwire the car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I was to get an alarm, will they see this crap and wire it back the way it should be?

BTW - I read your site "cause for alarm" (before I saw it in your sig). That's good stuff.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The dealer stuff - "security system" (GoLowDrew)

I always do because it's in the way. If it's functional, I ask the customer first.

You should make it perfectly clear that you want it removed.