Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000

Im debating between these two alarms. Cliffords reputation pulls me towards it, while the safety of the Lynx regarding the remote start pulls me towards it. I dont want my car running off, is there any way to keep the RSX from starting my car if its in gear?
gmoore
Old 09-26-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000 (tegunderpressure)

nah, i don't think there's really a way to have a safety for auto-start if your car is in gear. you just have to REMEMBER to put it in neutral. Its always been a habit for me, so i have no problem with it. BUT, you can have an emergency brake safety. I have it on my car. If the brake isn't on, the car won't auto start.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000 (swatdog)

But the ebrake probably isnt strong enough to stop the car from rolling is it. Does anyone else know if there are any safety features for remote start?
gmoore
Old 09-27-2003, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just realized this has a built in turbo timer, which is essentially the same as the Lynx system. When I exit the car, I leave it out of gear, and the car remains running for a given time, when I come back, its out of gear, and I can remote start. So that works...

My other question, once the car is remote started, and I enter, what do I do? Do I put the key in and turn it to "on" or what?
gmoore
Old 09-27-2003, 09:56 AM

Most remote starts are de-activated by the brake pedal, so you'd get in, turn the key to "run", then step on the brake.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000 (Abe Froman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Abe Froman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most remote starts are de-activated by the brake pedal, so you'd get in, turn the key to "run", then step on the brake.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont understand, can you elaborate. Basically, the car would b running, I get in, turn the key to the run position, then step on the brake to stop the alarm from running the car, but it would keep running because I have the key in the on position, correct? This wouldnt be effected by the s2000's button start would it?

And am I correct in saying that the turbo timer would offer a small amount of protection?
gmoore
Old 09-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And am I correct in saying that the turbo timer would offer a small amount of protection?
gmoore</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes
Old 09-28-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote: I get in, turn the key to the run position, then step on the brake to stop the alarm from running the car, but it would keep running because I have the key in the on position, correct?

Yes, that would be the point of putting the key in and turning it BEFORE you step on the brake.

Older Clifford stuff (Intellistart 4) had manual transmission mode, but the new stuff doesn't. My point in saying this is that as much as I love Clifford products, I also installed for 10 years and saw more than 20 different times cars and trucks bucking, jerking, and rolling down the street. The e-brake isn't going to hold your car in place if it starts in gear.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why wouldnt they put it in the newer stuff?
gmoore
Old 09-28-2003, 05:00 PM

Probably liability. Even though it supports manual transmission mode, there's still a lot that can go wrong installing a remote start on a manual. Knowing the average talent level of installers today, there were probably a lot of fucked-up jobs that resulted in wrecked cars.

The ONLY thing I liked about my Mazda was that it had a neutral trigger wire on the 5spd for whatever reason. That made it easy to do a starter hookup safely. Honda isn't so nice that I know of.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, the Clifford states on every page that it is for auto trannys only. Is this to cover their *** or because it wont work on manuals?
gmoore
Old 09-28-2003, 10:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Abe Froman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably liability. Even though it supports manual transmission mode, there's still a lot that can go wrong installing a remote start on a manual. Knowing the average talent level of installers today, there were probably a lot of fucked-up jobs that resulted in wrecked cars.

The ONLY thing I liked about my Mazda was that it had a neutral trigger wire on the 5spd for whatever reason. That made it easy to do a starter hookup safely. Honda isn't so nice that I know of.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So Ture, the shop i work for all the people who work there all own avangurd alarms on there cars, becuase they are the best u can buy, they all have auto start on 5 speed, but they will only install the cliffort autostart becuase it's the only one that make sure it does roll or jump, other ones u have to bypass it to do it. I have it on my car, but i never use it.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, the Clifford states on every page that it is for auto trannys only. Is this to cover their *** or because it wont work on manuals?
gmoore</TD></TR></TABLE>

The stuff on their website is all G5 (generation 5), which is listed as only for Automatic trans. The G4 stuff had a setting called Manual Transmission Mode, basically you pressed a certain button on the remote, and your car stayed running until you armed it. Apparently the G5 line doesn't have this mode anymore.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:52 AM

Do a seach on Autostart.ca

they have modules made just for manual trannys.

also LCD two pager alarms, and built in turbo timers.

the 'ready mode' will not allow you start it in gear.

unless you smash a window and put it in gear after its been set.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000 (nOOber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nOOber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the 'ready mode' will not allow you start it in gear.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does the ready mode know if its in gear or not? Or does it just let it run for a few seconds after you exit the car like the rest of them?
gmoore
Old 09-30-2003, 04:42 AM

with the vehicle already running by key power...

engauge the hand brake, press a button on the remote,

remove the key

the module then needs to see the door open, (you exit the vehicle), then close again.

at this point the vehicle is idling in neutral ( try and do this in gear and let me know how it works out for you), with the hand brake on, so it is safe to start by remote.

another button press will shut down the car and arm the alarm.

if you have turbo mode programmed, it will run for more minute then shut down.

if the module 'sees' the doors open, hood open, hand brake disengauged, or +12V onthe Ignition line, it will kick the car out of ready mode.

also, if you forget something inthe car, just start it by remote open a door, get what you need, close the door and shut it down again, and it will 'preserve ready mode', unlike some other systems out there.

another advantage is if someone else drives your car, there is no way they are drive your car through a wall, by pissing around with the buttons.

Old 09-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000 (nOOber)

I have decided to forget about the remote start. Its just not worth it to me. Ok, heres my two options, the Clifford 790, installed for 549, or buy the new 791 for 300 shipped, and pay installation. As long as the 790 has vibrate mode I will just go with it, can anyone clarify that it does?
gmoore
Old 09-30-2003, 04:58 PM

Vibrate mode? explain please.

I also don't see either the 790 or 791 on their website. The 750 has the OmniSensor, which is IMHO one of the greatest shock sensors ever made; and the glass sensor which is also a must.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 790 is the "Mother of All Remotes" one on their site, the one TIME featured. The 791 is the Matrix RSX, the replacement for it. Which will probably cost more and take longer to install.

And yes, the 790 has vibrate mode. So...

790- 545 installed
RSX- 300 plus insallation, 364 bucks minimum = 664 minimum.

So unless anyone can tell me the RSX has features I must have, Ill stick with the 790.
gmoore
Old 09-30-2003, 06:28 PM

Dam, thats way over priced!!! At our shop charges alot less to install and buy the pager unit for us, u might want to call around and get a better price, make sure u get all the extras u want.

The Pager is overrated but u will find that out later one, i was runing a pager for a bit and still am, but i have a 2ed alarm now, that is true kickass, it's a custom cliffort alarm, almost unstealable

Face to Face for the money a Avangurd puts any pager unit to shame
Old 09-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clifford RSX VS Lynx 2000 (Quad-Damge)

Best Buy wants 499 installed.
Circuit City wants 525 installed.
Sound Advice says "all day".

I know my place will do it right, so Ill pay the extra. I dont see how this is overpriced. Note that 545 is the price for the unit itself, AND installation.
gmoore