Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs?

I'm looking to buy an alarm and wondering if Car Toys generally is good at installing alarms. Any other national chains good at installing alarms?
Old 10-08-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (Honda F1)

Tweeter would be my choice for a 'chain store'.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (kwhitelaw)

Does Tweeter even sell car alarms?
Old 10-08-2002, 08:17 PM

Clifford.
Alpine.
Viper.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:51 PM

Glad I found another option for car alarms. Thanks
Old 10-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go to tweeter or Best Buy for an alarm install, because they carry cliffords which are the best. just make sure you get someone with tenure to do the install not some guy fresh off the street. I know that when at worked at best buy only the five most seinor installers did the alarms, making there less a chance of install flaws. An alarm is only as good as the install.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (incubus)

Technically, the Cliffords Best Buy carries are nothing more than rebadged Vipers. This way dealers could get an easier install but maintain the Clifford name. The Clifford line that Tweeter sells is entirely different from the other DEI lines.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not since clifford and avital was purchased by DEI, since the merger all brains share the same harnesses and brains. if they have different units they are old stock which is the good stuff.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (peichie)

DEI still markets the Concept series(200,400,600). Same alarm as always. All they changed were some problems with the antennas. Other than that, the alarm is all Clifford. DEI has no plans to change the Clifford line cause it has it's own name recognition. The Matrix line was added so retailers that aren't competent enough to properly install a Clifford can now put one in as easy a Viper and call it Clifford.
All this may change when the G5 series comes out . But for now, the Matrix line is the only line that crosses with any DEI product.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Technically, the Cliffords Best Buy carries are nothing more than rebadged Vipers. This way dealers could get an easier install but maintain the Clifford name. The Clifford line that Tweeter sells is entirely different from the other DEI lines.
The old clifford brains were ridiculously large and had bad reception often times. the large size of the brain made for a more difficult install. if anything the new cliffords are better, but I guess that is a subjective statement.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (incubus)

You're right. Brain size is/was a concern. But you can't match the technology they come with to the Matrix line. Plus, how secure is the install when you can stuff the brain under the drivers side dash? That big Clifford brain could go behind a rear panel or behind the instrument cluster and you wouldn't have to worry about it being unplugged in ten seconds. And even if it was, the car still wouldn't start, even if push started. But not with the Matrix and their Failsafe starter kill. Pull the fuse and pop the ignition and your off.
The reception did tend to suck on the older units but DEI said they took care of that with the latest units they have been shipping.

[Modified by kwhitelaw, 10:17 PM 10/9/2002]
Old 10-09-2002, 09:06 PM
New User

don't goto best buy! yulk, they twist and tape there wires, no soldiering and no using connectos, just split twist tape YUCK!
Old 10-09-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (BrandonClaps)

Does Car Toys soldier? I'm actually leaning towards the Alpine SEC-150. It has just about all the features I need with nice OEM style remotes.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know its been stated before...but here goes:

The installation is what makes the alarm what it is....bottom line

tape solder crimping shrink wrap...they are the chosen methods based on what the tech believes is the best connection...some out of pride of job,others out of lazyness and others still out of company direction. the install is still in the hads of the tech....and I dont care if you purchased the entry level version or a high security model...if its not installed properly...game over.

Nuff Said

PS. Though you would like to talk with a tech....many are not "people friendly"...its not a bad thing they just dont have the human interface down...I personally have seen installers dive under dashs when customers came their way..so if you encounter that at a shop dont worry...they aint being ******..its just how they are...some techs dread talking with the customer thtas all.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (audioroach)

"oh? i didn't see you sorry, i was busy on this car." is that how it goes?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (peichie)

So I take it older, wiser techs will generally be better techs.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:01 AM

Generally, yes. At my shop, there are two installers, me and another guy. I have a background from a big box store. Him, mom and pop. I solder EVERYTHING. He crimps everything. We both tape up the harnesses.
You can usually be safe with an older tech working on your car. At my old shop(Circuit City), they would throw the new guy on an alarm after two or three weeks. It would usually take him 7-8 hours to do a basic job, and then it would come back the next day for some reason or another. I would ask how long the installer has been installing, what method of connection he uses, and where the components are to be installed.
Audioroach is right about some installers not being to talkative. Don't be worried if they aren't. Me, I like talking to customers because I can know that whatever I sell them will be right. My other guy, hates talking to customers.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:42 AM

So installation procedures are at the discrection on the installer? In other words "Best Buy" and other stores do not have a preset method of installing alarms? I would have thought it was like McDonalds in that procedures are the same company wide.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:01 AM

Best Buy and CC have predetermined methods. At a smaller chain, they understand that different people do things differently. If you ask ten different people to install an alarm, you will get ten different installs, even from the same shop. You are also less likely to get a newcomer at a smaller shop since they won't hire just anybody off the street.
I solder because that is what I learned and I prefer it. It takes a little longer but it is easier to conceal your wiring.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ohh I love when i can spark a discussion . My background is Ma&Pa,Mega Chains ( Silo,Circuit City) and Speciality ( Tweeter )...and I have used all forms and still do depending on the situation. Most avid users of soldering will have a wand ( a very large one at that..speaking from experience ) it makes the jobs so much faster,but if you were carless there goes burn holes in seats, dashs,doors,roofs...you name it i have seem it done...That why some shops have policies on crimping only...some crimping advocates will say that solder connections can vibrate apart( this i have yet to see or experience)..while both say tape alone sucks ( Very odd..why..because I have install binders from Code Alarm,Dei,Alpine,Clifford,Whistler,Omega..etc all advocating a splice twist tape method)..like stated above " the older wiser installer basically knows what will work on your car "....Talk to sales& install and listen carefully...Do they listen to your questions and concerns and answer them and offer logical alternatives or do they give you the lights and mirrors ( flash with no susbstance) Vegas style treatment and try to seperate you from your cash without a thought.

have fun
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs?

"An alarm is only as good as the install."
Old 10-10-2002, 07:54 PM

hey, i told you goto Earmark in Addison (or Plano) im having my alarm installed there monday, talk to Frank if you call addison, he helped me out, went over what i needed for My Specific car, and took about an hour or longer going over everything making sure i needed this and that to give me the best possible deal for my application/purposes, theyre competitively priced, they Solder all wiring and put it in split-tube so it looks factory. very Experienced and Professional.
give em a call (www.earmarkcaraudio.com)
Old 11-17-2002, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (haloseven)

Car Toys

At least in Washington state
Old 11-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (mskibbz)

car toys suck

and dont get Alpine alarm I heard there not that great.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs? (PHAT-INTEGRA)

I got my clifford alarm installed at Car Toys and the guy who installed my alarm knew honda's very well... I wouldn't blame the company for doing a crappy job.. It's the installer.... IMO

Quick Reply: Car Toys: Good or bad for alarm installs?