Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Brake light/horn fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light/horn fuse keeps blowing

Sup h-t,

Recently, I just got the viper 5901 alarm installed by best buy and now my brake light/horn fuse keeps on blowing out. When I change the fuses it blows immediately. I'm planning on taking it back to the shop at Best buy, but wanted to know what may have caused this.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake light/horn fuse keeps blowing

Originally Posted by pdevilk
Sup h-t,

Recently, I just got the viper 5901 alarm installed by best buy and now my brake light/horn fuse keeps on blowing out. When I change the fuses it blows immediately. I'm planning on taking it back to the shop at Best buy, but wanted to know what may have caused this.
Super crappy installation for one. Either the horn trigger wire or brake sense wire is shorting out. Hate to say it but let them deal with it because as soon as you touch it or someone else works on it Best Buy isn't liable anymore. With any shop as soon as they work on a car they are "married" to it until someone else works on it. Complain to the Installation Bay manager and let them fix it so you have paper trail and if they cause more damage it's documented they are the ones responsible.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:35 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Got to agree with the above, if this started right after the install, I would not touch anything until BB has had a look at it, as mentioned if anybody else touches the install BB can and will void the install warranty leaving you holding the bag.

Because the fuse blows as soon as you install it indicates there is a dead short and that short is before the brake light switch and before the horn relay.

It is hard to say what they did, the brake "sense" lead is connected after the brake light switch, so if it was a problem the fuse would not blow until the brake is stepped on.

The horn trigger, if wired, is connected to the the horn relay ground control lead, so a short on it would only blow the horn not blow the fuse.

It is also possible that the two are unrelated and coincidental.

I would assume that BB would have done a full function test of the alarm and remote start before you got the car back from them ad if they did then the brake fuse must have been good or remote start shutdown when brake is pressed would not have worked.

However, the problem may still be install related, so it is best you have them look at it first. 94
Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What year, make, and model? This happened on my 98 hatch and took it to my cousin. He said he's seen a few civics with the same issue. He went behind the kick panel on driver side and unclipped that floor harness and plugged it back and it fixed the issue. You could try that or wait for BB. GL
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I took my car to BB, not to the same installer, but to another technician who worked there at the shop. He inspected all brake light switch, tailight bulbs, wiring, and everything seemed fine. *shrugs*

I put in a new brake fuse and to this day it's been having no problems. Been about a week already. However, something did occur to me that I did mess with the third brake light wiring in the trunk when I put on my spoiler and then later taking it off. If the two wires touched or were exposed, could it have caused this problem I been having?

This is on a 1996 Integra. Btw.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It would not blow the fuse as soon as you put it in, a short back there would blow the fuse when you stepped on the brake.

My guess is the installer did find something and just fixed it saying he could not find anything wrong, so you could not blame BB,

I mean it's kind of a coincident that you run into the problem after the install and problem is gone after they look at it, oh well it's fixed, and stranger things have happened. 94
Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha let's hope so. I just don't want to run to anymore problems