Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Best Ravelco Security Thread EVAR!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ravelco Security (notimportant)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notimportant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
More time = more exposure = more likely to get caught = more likely to move on to an easier target.

I think a hidden Ravelco would be better than a hidden kill switch. If you find the kill switch - all you so it flip it. If you find the Ravelco, you have a 1/2 hour or so of work to be done.

I wouldn't bother with an alarm. A code grabber defeats it in seconds, and a thief can interrogate the receiver in a couple of hours while sitting on a bench waiting for a laptop to do the work for him. There are some in the UK that only have a 25 cm range (that's under a foot) so you can't grab the code or even communicate with the device. That would make much more sense to me.

As a consumer that isn't comfortable cutting wires in my car, I'd get a Ravelco and hide it. If I had the extra $, I'd get a GPS/cellular tracking devise. And the phone company doesn't call you - the unit sends you a SMS, text message, e-mail and calls you with an automated message, Any or all of the above. Those companies are just way to greedy on monthly fees. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dang man you have alot to learn, Your the one the going to have a hard time making yourcar safe.

Your right on the more time more safe

Wrong on the kill switch, Thats what the ravelco unit is. Pull the wire back futher enough to find the wire being used.

Dei uses a rolling code and and the code being trasmited is not the code to unlock the car anyways. .......... In there words so I don't have to break it down....

Code-Hopping™
Code-Hopping is an advanced form of vehicle security. This breakthrough technology never sends the same code twice. Code-Hopping was designed to address the growing threat of thieves who use intercepting devices to learn remote transmitting codes so they can disarm vehicle security systems. State-of-the-art security system enhanced by numerous code combinations and Code-Hopping for added peace-of-mind. Code Hopping™ provides state-of-the-art protection against illegal devices called code grabbers, which intercept and retransmit digital codes.

So take that off your list. Because it only works on cheap alarm systems. Ad spreading false info is against the t.o.s.

And the gps system does call you automated. But if you press 1 on te dei tracking units you are connected to a live operator withen seconds to start tracking your car with police on the line with a dei operator. There is no need for a live person to call you ever time your alarm goes off. And first they are not greedy. There providing a service that you need. Do you think its cheap to run this service? They get billed too. If you would of did your home work you would of found this out too. But your focused on trying to sell the ravelco unit which nobody here is going to buy. May be if you posted it on team-integra.net would you get a bunch of followers to support your cause and alot of hype. And a bunch of "I in". But that does not fly over here.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ravelco Security (wrx-killer-Sti-eater)

Rolling codes don't matter if you capture it. You can also get the code remotely via a lap top. You can ignore that if you'd like.

This is the DEI forum then?

It's stupid to have voice on a GPS tracking system. Dei has had, what 3 attempts in this market and they still can't sell them because they are still on the wrong network.

3 way call with the police? In most locations a 3rd party can't report a car stolen anyway.

You're wrong on the kill switch - wire in - switch - wire out
Flip switch = complete circuit.

Ravelco (from the post by fcm)
Pick a wire - figure out where it goes
repeat for +
repeat for -
repeat for ignition start
repeat for starter
repeat for fuel
repeat for injectors

A little bit more complicated than some of you are making it out to be.

1/2 job vs. flipping a kill switch
Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why has this topic been dragged out this long? It is obvious that none of the installers on this forum use this system. Most of us have a DEI or Compustar alarm to protect are personal cars, not a Ravelco. And we don't use this system because it is over priced for what it is. Why spend $300 on a visible kill switch when you can spend ~$10 on a hidden kill switch that you can install your self if you follow the How-To on the top of the forum. It does not make any sense. If you believe that Ravelco is good enough to protect your car then by all means go ahead and get it. Why come here and ask us our opinions and then try to argue with us as to why it is a great system after we all tell you it's not.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Ravelco Security (94_DC4)

Actually, I was just looking into Ravelco. Did a google and found this thread.

You guys keep calling it a kill switch, if you look take two minutes and open your mind a crack you can clearly see the thing isn't a kill switch.

So I don't understand what the big disconnect it (no pun intended).

If you are indeed professional installers, you should know the difference and not misinform people otherwise.

I don't care one way or the other. You should just try to be slightly accurate as professionals.

So for anyone that finds this thread - don't be lazy, do some research and there is more than one solution.

that's it for me.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:22 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"You're wrong on the kill switch - wire in - switch - wire out
"
Actually you have that wrong, although you can call it a multi-point immobilizer, [or what ever Ravelco wants to calls it] it is a kill switch, as it "kills the circuit", who said a kill switch had to be a toggle switch, it can be anything that breaks the circuit
wire in - Ravelco - wire out
Plug in switch = complete circuit.

No one here is misinforming anyone, and please do not misquote me to try and prove your point, nowhere did I say or suggest it was easy, but anyone that knows how it works can bypass it given enough time, and 6hrs is more then enough time.
I have 3 kill "switches" in my car, they disable 4 circuits, [ign., starter, fuel pump and injectors, all 3 kill switches, [a toggle, a push button and a latching relay] default the load to ground, all are hidden in diff. locations, [not in one spot and visible] one is controlled by the Alpine alarm, [I am no big fan of DEI alarms] 2 are controlled manually, the 3rd is passive, [latching relay must be "re-latched" with a stealth switch each time ign. is turned on] total cost of parts $15 - $20, total install time about 4hr.
If the exact same system, using the exact same parts. was installed in another 94 teg, [switches and connection locations diff. then mine] I wouldn't be able to bypass it, in a shop, unless I had 6 or more hours.

Can you see the beef I have with the product, $350 to give a smart car thief a visible starting point to disable/bypass the immobilizer, $15 -$20 to immobilize/kill the same number of circuits, no starting point, no little key fob plug to loose.

As has been mentioned, if you feel it's what you need to protect your car, go nuts, it is a well make product, and as a layer of a security system it's fair to good.
However, whether your just a no0b who swallowed the Ravelco bait, or a rep/dealer/installer for Ravelco, [makes no diff.] your not going to change any minds here, because we are installers, some of us are pros, some of us have been pros for a long time, we know what the Ravelco is and how it works, so we know there no magic, it is just another of more then a few immobilizers out there, christ even 2 - 4 point "magnetic swipe card" immobilizer is better, at least there is no starting point for the crook, and at $99.95 installed, it's a better system then the Ravelco 94 now it's nuff said.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam this Mr. know it all is trying to kick mad game and has no ideal on what he talking about. This is so hod dam funny. Really. Never installed a alarm in his life. Never been in the industry. And does not have the knowledge or experience or any kind of backing in the field. To even really cast his 2 cents and try to convince anybody of anything

The funny part is that I work with Dei tracking system everyday. Have the backing, experience, Support from the company. And he is going to tell me what the unit does and what it does not do.

Look at your post. Man your making yourself look like a idiot.

Originally Posted by notimportant
Rolling codes don't matter if you capture it. You can also get the code remotely via a lap top. You can ignore that if you'd like.
Would you like to explain how it works and how better alarms defeat this purpose? You can't. You don't know how. Let someone grab the code and they rebroadcast it. Its not going to do squat. Why?

This is the DEI forum then?

It's stupid to have voice on a GPS tracking system. Dei has had, what 3 attempts in this market and they still can't sell them because they are still on the wrong network.

3 way call with the police? In most locations a 3rd party can't report a car stolen anyway.
Back your quote with some sales numbers. Hum...... I pushed 12 units last month. The units are sold out ever month. Do you own a dei tracking system? Have you ever used one? How did you access the network to come up with the information that your posting about the gps. If there is no voice to talk to you how do you find ut whats up with your car? Is it suppose to talk Morse code? Do you even know what network the unit even uses? Please tell us. Also what other units did dei try to come out with?

You're wrong on the kill switch - wire in - switch - wire out

Ravelco (from the post by fcm)
Pick a wire - figure out where it goes
repeat for +
repeat for -
repeat for ignition start
repeat for starter
repeat for fuel
repeat for injectors

A little bit more complicated than some of you are making it out to be.

1/2 job vs. flipping a kill switch

This is sig material. What the hell is this thing then? A freaking kill switch. What is it doing? Killing a circuit or opening one. Kill switch! like it or not. Its a kill switch.
Man you are freaking funny.

I give your post the highest honor for stupidity, Ten hammer heads

Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought fcm killed it, but that my friend, kills it.

I should lock this thread just to be humane. But I think I'll leave it open FOR PROFILING PURPOSES.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Ravelco Security (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought fcm killed it, but that my friend, kills it.

I should lock this thread just to be humane. But I think I'll leave it open FOR PROFILING PURPOSES.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"We also have Seal and the Petshop boys."
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should leave it open. This thread has answered and revealed many questions that I have had, and im sure many others have had, about ravelco.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM

About the GPS:
I didn't realize that DEI replaced their old GPS system, so retract what I said.

It doesn't have voice (which it shouldn't) because they read the same JD Power report on emerging technology that I did and hit the price point perfectly. The cellular modem probably can do voice (like OnStar), but they aren't using it.
Thought they should have used and A-GPS chipset which it looks like they aren't.
Both the older systems were analog and probably on the cellemetry network (looks like they had a name change to Airdesk).
I'd guess they are on Aeris or Mobitex or another M2M network. If I saw a coverage map I could tell you which.
I did work in the industry for a while.

A clip from their FAQ:
Exactly, what should I do if my vehicle is stolen?

1. You discover your car is missing.
2. CALL the police to report the vehicle stolen.
3. Remove product card from wallet.
4. Call the Viper® GPS Call Center.
5. Call Center will ask if this is an emergency or not.
6. Tell the Viper® GPS Call Center your car has been stolen and request assistance in the recovery, provide local police department phone number and vehicle theft report number.
7. Viper® GPS validates the caller security information (have your password handy!), advise you not to go after the vehicle yourself and will ask if the police have been contacted (please provide customer service representative with a local police department phone number, officer’s name/badge number and theft report number). You will be asked to provide: VIN, plate number, color, make/model/year of vehicle.
8. Viper® GPS call center with YOU on hold will contact Police and conference you into call.

On Ravelco:
I'm just hung up on calling it a switch that most people would assume take a second to get around when in reality it would take much longer. Long enough that the thief will probably give up - like the that guy's dodge.
But it probably should be hidden so it doesn't give the thief a place to start as was mentioned.

On the code grabbing/forcing codes for wrx-.....
http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/n....html

Edit for this - DEI uses 66 bit encryption in case anyone was interested, the TI system is 40.

Responder Technology from Directed Electronics has been recognized with a coveted Innovations Award at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show. Unlike other 2-Way systems, Directed’s Responder Technology is the most secure system of its type, with 66-bit Clone-Safe Code-Hopping encryption. 66-bit encryption uses rolling code technology, with 18 quintillion possible codes...that’s an 18 followed by 18 zeros! Utterly impervious to being grabbed or cloned by illegal ‘code grabber’ devices. And unlike many competitors, Responder Technology is 100% FCC Legal. It has other advantages as well:

Modified by notimportant at 8:11 PM 8/22/2007
Old 08-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^^^^^
your screen name says it all
Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notimportant &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On the code grabbing/forcing codes for wrx-.....
http://www.jhu.edu/news_info/n....html
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why did you even post that, it's not the same technology at all.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ravelco Security (White Smoke)

Like I said.... PROFILING.

I spoke with the folks over at Ravelco. They asked me to ask you to stop beating a dead horse. Apparently you've gone AWOL.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get Lo-Jack
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm5lughatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm5lughatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get Lo-Jack</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti-eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nope.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh oh. Time for a Lo-Jack thread? I wonder what's wrong with lojack...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Uh oh. Time for a Lo-Jack thread? I wonder what's wrong with lojack...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm.. How about the fact that it has like 5 areas of service in the country??

Service is not available in my area...
Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HoW 2 sTeel teh Ravelco
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where can I get one of these wicked awesome button boxes with the skull on the cover? I want to put one next to my Flux Capacitor.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ravelco Security

Reading this thread has been very amusing, I was looking to get a Ravelco when I stumbled here.

I just love the way everyone who is bashing this device and giving steps as to how it can be bypassed cannot even give one REAL example of a theif actually accomplishing this.

I mean no system is 100% but I thought the idea of a security system for these types of cars was to make it as hard as humanly possible to steal your car so that the theif gives up.

I mean yes, the product is pricey and does have an out in the open interface but if you can't even find evidence of one person who owns this and had their car taken, I really dont understand how you can be so against this product.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere with the most courageous theif ever, noone is gonna spend all those hours out in the open trying to steal your car.

But anyways since my post count isnt as spectacular as some of you, you probably dont even care about what I have to say but I just wanted to throw my two cents in.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ravelco Security (PrimeElement)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrimeElement &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Reading this thread has been very amusing, I was looking to get a Ravelco when I stumbled here.

I just love the way everyone who is bashing this device and giving steps as to how it can be bypassed cannot even give one REAL example of a theif actually accomplishing this.

I mean no system is 100% but I thought the idea of a security system for these types of cars was to make it as hard as humanly possible to steal your car so that the theif gives up.

I mean yes, the product is pricey and does have an out in the open interface but if you can't even find evidence of one person who owns this and had their car taken, I really dont understand how you can be so against this product.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere with the most courageous theif ever, noone is gonna spend all those hours out in the open trying to steal your car.

But anyways since my post count isnt as spectacular as some of you, you probably dont even care about what I have to say but I just wanted to throw my two cents in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your 2 cents is wellcomed. But FCM bypassed one and so have I. I think suspendedhatch has done one also. Their website and company is not going to put that information on it. It would kill there logo. I say start a anti-ravelco website and ask the world. And I bet there are millions of people that got there car stolen with it. Hell put it on your car and I'll make it two that have been bypassed. I'll even do it in less then 2 min. And especially if your into honda's and know there wire system. And most theives know this.

And yes you can make your car 100% theft proof. Most people lack the funds or knowledge to do it. And yes a alarm is suppose to keep the theif in the car guessing and wasting time. A good alarm will make a theif move to a easier car. Mine do all the time.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I can say is LOL.

That hiddeous box wont stop anyone.

Code hopping is not all that its cracked up to be.
If someone is smart enough to understand how to capture your remote code from the airwaves then having code hopping is the least of your worries.

And code hopping has already been cracked and demonstarted at one of the security shows years ago.

IMO cars should come with transponders that have rolling codes that disable mutiple computers in the car like my RR does. No way in hell you getting one of these. Each unit has the vin number installed in it. You would have to swap every computer in the car to get the thing to start. Now only if they keys didn't cost $300.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your 2 cents is wellcomed. But FCM bypassed one and so have I. I think suspendedhatch has done one also. Their website and company is not going to put that information on it. It would kill there logo. I say start a anti-ravelco website and ask the world. And I bet there are millions of people that got there car stolen with it. Hell put it on your car and I'll make it two that have been bypassed. I'll even do it in less then 2 min. And especially if your into honda's and know there wire system. And most theives know this.

And yes you can make your car 100% theft proof. Most people lack the funds or knowledge to do it. And yes a alarm is suppose to keep the theif in the car guessing and wasting time. A good alarm will make a theif move to a easier car. Mine do all the time. </TD></TR></TABLE>Well funds is not an issue for me when it comes to the security of my car, how do I gain this knowledge you speak of.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2058878

read all the information on there. Scrool down to the alarm parts. And if you need anymore info on it just start your own thread and we will walk you through it. Or im if you don't feel comfortable asking something.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow I had to go to there site and actually see what they had for sale. What a scam.

There info on how to bypass all "other"systems was blow way out of proportion.

I also like how the mention a transponder then go on to state that they can be defeated with a resistor. A transponder is not a resistor LOL. A transponder has a rolling code which is a digital response meaning the combination is sent back to the ECU and other computers if the code doesn't match your screwed.So much misinformation on that website.

Some of the methods they mention to defeat other systems could be used to defeat this system as well. The no "master key" tagline was funny. I could develop a master key in a matter of minutes. And would probably only take a few seconds for the master key to Figure out the combintaion.

This is a dumb american please by me product.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti-eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2058878

read all the information on there. Scrool down to the alarm parts. And if you need anymore info on it just start your own thread and we will walk you through it. Or im if you don't feel comfortable asking something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, whoever wrote all that really has no life. If they really want it, they'll get it. Tow trucks grumble grumble..

Sorry. I had to throw my typical Honda-Tech reply in there.

Quick Reply: Best Ravelco Security Thread EVAR!