Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Best Ravelco Security Thread EVAR!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ravelco Security

Ok, I did a serch in archived and found about 30 results. Most saying the same thing.

My friend just got his car stolen and now im uber perinoid and I want to beef up the security on my crx. My friend and I were just searching around for some tips on how to prevent theifs from stealing your car when he stumbled across the revelco web site.

It sounds too good to be true. Over 3 million or so cars having it and they say not one has been stolen by bypassing their security system.

I want to bring this topic back up to the top and see if anyone on here has it in their car and can tell me how you like it.

And I know most will say, Its just a fancy kill switch. But revelco is many different kill switches all in one and you moving all over your car to turn on and off switches is a little obvious to anyone watching. And others will say, they can still tow your car. WELL NO ****! Until someone comes up with a security system that makes is tow proof, then dont even bring up the whole tow thing, its just stupid. And i know if they want my car, they will get it.

I just want to get peoples honest opinion on this. It is wired into many different systems in your car, like the ignition and fuel to name 2. It has a steel line protecting the wires, and all the wires are black, so they dont know what wires to cut. And if you instal it yourself Im sure you can do other nifty tricks to make it even more safe.

I have read that its about 150-200 bucks to buy it, and about 300-400 to get it installed. But the instal doesnt look too hard. Looks to be about 10 wires. Im guessing it will just take time and patience like most other security systems.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ravelco Security (jakscivic)

i'm interested as well to hear stories on this device.

i'm not an expert on security but I do have first hand experience from the 5 times someone has tried to steal my R. bastards. 2 of those 5 times they popped my ignition (I don't think this is the right term but anyway)

Although I think I'm done adding security devices the one thing I have thought about is finding a fabricator to basically build a steel enclosure with hinges that would fit around my steering column, have some type of padding so it doesn't scratch anything and build it so it would prevent the steering wheel from turning. then have a paddle-lock like the ones you see at car wash money collectors.

good thieves study and they know their **** inside and out. what can really screw with them though is having something they've never seen and is not easy to figure out or break. now that I think about it if I had a fabricator on hand there's a few things that might be interesting.

what we do to keep our cars......crazy!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it is crazy.

And what they do to steal them is crazy too.

Thats why I want to try to layer my security. I already have a kill switch. I could add another, take out ecu, plus revelco. Even if it has the same fuction as the other kill switches, its still another thing they have to figure out.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (jakscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I did a serch in archived and found about 30 results. Most saying the same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That was your big clue right there.

We get this topic every couple of weeks. Ravelco is crap. You read the archives. Well all the same people who commented in those threads are still here today. You want us all to reiterate it? It's crap. If you understood more about car security, you would not be fooled by black wires and steel shielding. That makes no difference. You defeat the switch at the connection point. You cut the factory wires, not the ravelco wires.

A case could be made that it might prevent amateur thieves, or it might slow regular thieves down. But for the price, you could do much much better.

"ThieVes".
Old 08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You want us all to reiterate it? It's crap. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hm, so you guys know this from experience? You say its crap, but I have not found one person say, hey I had it in my car and it got stolen.

Although I have found people on other sites say, I had it in my car and they ripped the dash apart and still couldnt steal my car. And another person say, I walked out side and found my car broken into and my ignition on the ground and my hood popped but my car wasnt stolen because I have ravelco.

I havent found one thing on the internet that says that you can beat the ravelco system. And no where in the archives has someone said its crap. All they say is, "its just a fancy kill switch." But its more than just one kill switch, its multipul kill switches in one, and it would take the thief a lot more time to have to find which systems it is hooked up to, and then have to find where the wires are spliced into it so they can cut them and put them back together. Now I dont know about you, but the longer it takes them to do all that the more chance it is they will get caught. Why sit there trying to find all that **** when there is probably another car down the street that you cna just jump into and go?

And you say for the price I can do better? 200 bucks? Thats not bad for a lot of kill switches spliced deep into the system with a plug that vertually imposible to crack with over 100,000 different variations to it.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and buying that is a lot less expensive that buying a 1000 dollar viper alarm system which pretty much does the same thing as revelco, except it can be hacked by code jacking. Plus it just has a loud speaker that can just be cut and turned off. Oh, and it runs off the battery which can be disconected. The ravelco doesnt run off the battery at all, so you cant just turn it off.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And i know if they want my car, they will get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you believe that if a thief wants your car they will get it then why spend the money on Ravelco in the first place?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And you say for the price I can do better? 200 bucks? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. $10 for 2 or 3 switches (or free if you use a "ghost switch).... $10 for a couple of relays and $5 for a spool of wire... $3 for a roll of 3M super 33 tape and you're in business, accomplishing the same exact goal for less than thirty bucks...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94_DC4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you believe that if a thief wants your car they will get it then why spend the money on Ravelco in the first place?</TD></TR></TABLE>

People are so rediculous. They say if you dont want your car stolen get security. But then if you get security people say, why? if they want it they will get it.

If they want it they WILL get it. But the lenghts they have to go through to get it is the key. You need to keep putting up more layers of security so they cant just jack it easily.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You said if they want it they will get it. I did not say that. I was asking you why get ravelco if you believe they can take your car anyway?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ravelco Security (jakscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And i know if they want my car, they will get it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Last line, 5th paragraph.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jakscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh, and buying that is a lot less expensive that buying a 1000 dollar viper alarm system which pretty much does the same thing as revelco, except it can be hacked by code jacking.<U> Plus it just has a loud speaker that can just be cut and turned off</U>. Oh, and it runs off the battery which can be disconected. The ravelco doesnt run off the battery at all, so you cant just turn it off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Default Re: (tha_badguy)

Well I see that you did not read the thead that tells you what you need to do to keep your car safe. Its in the sticky above. If your trying to spend 300 buxs to keep your car 100% safe. Throw that ideal out the window. You could make some good layers and a almost nice system if you diy it. It will beat the entry level crooks but not not a good one. You can try the relvco kit. But when your car comes up stolen. Your going to get that I told you so from alot of us.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I have read most of those security threads. One it shows how to do a kill switch, which I have done already. And it also shows how to do a stealth car alarm instal. But ummmmmm, I dont have an alarm, so no need for that info.

And i see you havent read the whole thread. I didnt say this would be my only security. I said it would be a good aditional layer along with other things, such as aditional kill switches. Eventually I will get an alarm with a pager, phone gps in the car should come very soon though, I just need to find out how to rig up a cell phone charger to a power source so the phone stays charged and wont need to be taken from its hiding place to be recharged.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, haha, i just got done reading the "rules" of this forum. The ravelco part is interesting. I dont see how it should not be brought back up. Its a security device that is very interesting. And I do believe this is the security forum. So I think its relevant.

And I just saw the "cell phone gps tracking being disproved." I havent seen a thread disproving it. From what I have seen it works. And once again, its part of security, so I think it is relevent to the forum.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, get that phone gps.... Its the shyt and really works I can't stress all the installs that I done with it and it works. I like how the phone company calls you right back and tell you that your call has been stolen and were its at. And then they fix all the errors on your phone bill, Credit you for all the drop calls. And give you a break on all the 411 calls that you been billed................ Now if this system really worked don't you think it would of been mentioned in the write up. You need to do your car a favor and don't read stupied post that pop on h-t that are from people that posted a bright ideal that just popped into there head while they were sleep. If it really worked. I got a im from a member that was not so lucky because of this new idea. Guess what. I don't think he will be trying that ine again
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I supose you have a good point on the phone thing. But a lot of cars dont get completly stripped. Or atleast where I am from they dont. Like my friends car got stolen. It was just found today. It had the rims stolen off of it, and a couple engine parts. Other than that they just dented every door penel, and probably cut up his interior. We are going down to the tow place tomorrow to pick it up and see what the damage is.

The dash isnt exactly cake to take off. So if you rigged up the cell phone and had it in your dash it probably wouldnt ever get found unless it was completely stripped. And by then you would have a pretty damn good idea where your car is at with the gps tracking.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, if the phone is just tossed under the dash how is it going to get range? The software thats out there for this gps tracking is not for the phone to be installed under the dash. HAve you read te disclaimer from them?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never seen a "disclaimer" on any thread. I have seen one where it is installed under the car though. I supose that seems like a better idea than inside the car.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The more you talk, the more it becomes clear: you are obviously too smart and we can't help you, so get the expletive out.

$1000 are you kidding me? You can get a Viper 350hv for right around $100 w/out installation and then do the stealth install. Multiplying that by 10 is quite an exaggeration. $100 is cheap enough to do today while you wait several weeks to save up for your bloated alarm system that you are buying more for bling factor and convenience than security. And guess what, the harness is basically a plug and play swap between Viper's entry level and top tier (non remote start) alarms.

You don't have an alarm so you don't need the stealth alarm how-to?! I think you got that mixed up. What you need is an alarm.

It's funny you're referring to the archives... I'M the person you are quoting as saying that it's a fancy kill switch. And I am the same person telling you now that it's an overpriced POS. Do I need to have personal experience with it? No. I know how it's installed. That's all you need to know. If you are so eager to buy into to every claim every company makes about their product, then I got some products you might be interested in. Ever hear of the Tornado? How about the Electric Supercharger!

Here you go buddy. A DIY just for you, in words I think you can understand.

HoW 2 sTeel teh Ravelco
Old 08-14-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here you go buddy. A DIY just for you, in words I think you can understand.

HoW 2 sTeel teh Ravelco
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!!! But you forgot the "Steel Braided Cable" in your drawing, which would prevent one from cutting at the arrows.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

So are you saying that the connections made at the ignition harness are steel braided?

Ok, fixed the diagram.

Ravelco is like putting a Masterlock on a tent. And when you find that someone cut through the tent with a razorblade, do you blame the Masterlock? No. So Masterlock has a 0% failure rate when protecting tents.

Donnie Darko is my favorite movie btw.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I relent.

I finally got an email back from them after a couple days and they said its 350 to get them to set it up for you. Thats the price of product and instal. Not too bad.

But I also asked them what they tap into. And they said the ignition and fuel.

Hmmmmmm, I thought for sure they wired it up into several other things. But I guess I was wrong. If its just hooked up to the ignition and fuel then I can just set up two hidden switches.

Oh and I looked up viper alarms. Ive been wanting one for a while now, but I never liked the prices. Did they go down or something? Because they seem much more cheap now. I want to get the Viper 5000. It sounds like it has many good features that would be nice to have and would make me sleep a tad bit easier at night.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and my friend got his car back. They took his rims, spray painted gang signs all over his car, tried to pry open his trunk lid (its a del sol so no trunk release), and they dented the hell out of his fenders.

So all in all I think he got off a bit easier than others. But we will be doing some major security on his car once we get it up and going again.

Quick Reply: Best Ravelco Security Thread EVAR!