Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Battery dies every 3 days with Black Widow 2 paging way Alarm !! How to find a short ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dies every 3 days with Black Widow 2 paging way Alarm !! How to find a short ??

I just installed a Black Widow BWN-500P 2 way paging Alarm by Best Buy. Every three days or so I need to jump start the car because the battery dies. I removed the fuse from the alarm and left the car alone for a week to find out if the alarm was instead the problem. It was indeed.

My question is... is there anyway to find a short in an electrical system ?? Common problems or shorting problems with the alarm or with Integra Type R's in general ??
Old 11-18-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Battery dies every 3 days with Black Widow 2 paging way Alarm !! How to find a short ?? (xunkn0v

I seriously doubt you have a short. You have a small battery, and a fairly unsophisticated two way alarm. If it transmits on a regular basis, instead of only when there is a need (remote start confirmation, alarm notification) it will drain the battery in short order. I was worried about this with my 791xv, but it has sat for 9 days without problems.

Use a DMM to determine the current draw on the battery with the key off, and the alarm disconnected. Then connect the alarm and see how much current it needs to operate.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery dies every 3 days with Black Widow 2 paging way Alarm !! How to find a short ?? (xunkn0v

This is very interesting, I am going to try it out this weekend, BTW What is a DMM ?? WHat size battery do you have ??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jim Truett &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seriously doubt you have a short. You have a small battery, and a fairly unsophisticated two way alarm. If it transmits on a regular basis, instead of only when there is a need (remote start confirmation, alarm notification) it will drain the battery in short order. I was worried about this with my 791xv, but it has sat for 9 days without problems.

Use a DMM to determine the current draw on the battery with the key off, and the alarm disconnected. Then connect the alarm and see how much current it needs to operate.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-18-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xunkn0vvnx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is very interesting, I am going to try it out this weekend, BTW What is a DMM ?? WHat size battery do you have ??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

A DMM is a digital multimeter. It will allow you to test for voltage and current draw.
I am using the stock size group 51 battery in my EG.