Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel?

Found this on Crutchfield's website, anyone used them, have an opinion? Made your own etc etc

Old 01-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel? (MonkeyPuzzle)

Used them before. they sound great. I modd them a lil by backing them with dyna-matt to tone it up a bit. Well worth the money if you can't build them yourself
Old 01-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. LOVED them in my 98 Civic.... I would love to get another set for my Accord...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hated mine. They delete the dead pedal. My size 13s can't deal with that. They sound great, but....
Old 01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had some in my eg but they were getting in the way of the clutch so i took them out.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IceySC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IceySC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had some in my eg but they were getting in the way of the clutch so i took them out.</TD></TR></TABLE>That too. Especially with my big-*** feets.

I wish there was a way to get the tweets down there and angled properly without messing with the footbox clearances. Oh well.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It is a pretty good pod, for a pre-built, and if installed properly, with a good set of components, will sound very good, I do not recommend them for anything but an automatic. 94
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel? (fcm)

well I drive a manual, so sounds like I should give it a skip.

Which is preferred, the tweeter down in a kick panel like that, or a tweeter on the door such as below?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM

i made my own You can make them to exactly how you want instead of being forced to use pre-made. the q-forms are nicely made tho. i never got to hear how they sound, but i made mine into enclosures. tight bass. love em

Yes Dirty as hell

Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel? (chriskona)

I'm curious why you chose to put all the drivers in the doors rather than use the factory kick panel location to help equalize the path length?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel? (EBP_SI)

EBP_SI-

That's exactly why he did it. The further you can push everything out, the closer to equal path lengths you'll get. Drivers at the corners of the doors gets you there. I disagree with the tweeter location (pointing at the floor?) but to each their own.

MonkeyPuzzle-

The factory locations have horrible imaging. The path length from the left tweet to my head in my EJ1 (with the premium sound system) is about ", the right one is more than twice that. In terms of delay, there's about 3.2mS of difference between the two.

Compare that to where the woofers are, down in the corners of the doors. Left and right sides are within 1.5mS.

The different in arrival times of the different components of what's supposed to be a coherent sound front confuses your brain, clobbers imaging, and generally makes things sound a little odd compared to a good set of speakers in your living room.

I fixed mine with electronic delay and tri-amping, but a well built set of door pods does the same thing with physical placement. For most people anyway.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have the Q-Forms Kick Panel? (dpaton)

OK, so I know I'm a noob, but I do understand what you mean.

So tell me, I currently have the '00 SI tweeters in my hatch, these go right over the rear view mirror covers. I do not think I can use any sort of kick panel because everyone says they are no good if you drive a manual. So what do you think, should I remove my tweeters and not have them at all, or are they at least better than no tweeters at all?

In the stock front door panel location I have 6inch two ways with a 1inch tweeter in them if that helps at all.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Civic is a manual and it took me about a day to get used to the speakers down there.

It's really not that bad... :shrugs:
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpaton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">EBP_SI-

That's exactly why he did it. The further you can push everything out, the closer to equal path lengths you'll get. Drivers at the corners of the doors gets you there. I disagree with the tweeter location (pointing at the floor?) but to each their own.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly my point. he didn't move the speakers any further away. it actually looks like he brought the mids / midbass drivers (can't tell from the pics) closer.

When i built my kicks i put the mids and the tweeters in the actual kick panels and played around with the angles. i dont have any problem driving with size 12's and i certainly have no problem with a low stage height.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP_SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats exactly my point. he didn't move the speakers any further away. it actually looks like he brought the mids / midbass drivers (can't tell from the pics) closer.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Honestly, with the way those pods are built, I'm not sure it matters. The tweet position will clobber the staging completely, and the dual offset midbasses...well...they won't combine worth crap above about 800Hz, but it's not my place to criticize, since I don't have anything better right now. I think the lower one is in about the right place, but the upper one isn't doing anything but adding SPL.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP_SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When i built my kicks i put the mids and the tweeters in the actual kick panels and played around with the angles. i dont have any problem driving with size 12's and i certainly have no problem with a low stage height. </TD></TR></TABLE> I guess my EJ1 footbox is a little less forgiving, and my size 13s are a little wider. To each their own...that's why they make so damn many cars
Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpaton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think the lower one is in about the right place, </TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks to me like its just in the stock location. a much better spot for it would have been in the kick panel area but hey...its not my car or my setup.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EBP_SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It looks to me like its just in the stock location. a much better spot for it would have been in the kick panel area but hey...its not my car or my setup. </TD></TR></TABLE> It pretty much is in he stock location, which is as good as it'll get on a door.

My setup is worse, so I'm done talking smack about other people's installs