Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Alarm vs. Alarm vs. Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alarm vs. Alarm vs. Alarm

Let's not talk about the "$1,000 setups."

In general, which alarm systems are better, and why?

- Aftermarket unit installed by Circuit City.

- Dealer installed units, the one they try to sell you AFTER agree to buy the car.

- Factory installed alarm.

Concerns: Nearly all stores like Circuit City will install them as easy as possible, therefore, the same location. Will dealer install the alarm you bought from them in the same place to save time and labor? Are factory built alarms installed any different?

Educated me. IM if you want to keep it DL.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alarm vs. Alarm vs. Alarm (GoLowDrew)

Honestly, most alarms are very similar (differences being addition sensors and convience features), it is the install that matters the most. If you want a good install, go to a real stereo/alarm store and talk to the installer about brain placement. The higher in the dash it is , the harder it is to get to. All wiring should be taped up or loomed to match the factory wiring. If they can add the wiring in the the factory wiring and wrap it all together, the better off you are.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Alarm vs. Alarm vs. Alarm (GoLowDrew)

from your list and your list only here is how I would rank it..

1) Aftermarket unit installed by Circuit City
2) factory installed unit
almost a tie..
3)dealer installed unit after you buy the car..

I think w/ the aftermarket you will get more features, but like you said.. the CC installers just put it right there.. after you drop the dash panel (or a theif rips it out) the brain is basically rite there... w/ a factory unit.. the wiring is ALWAYS pretty much the same color, same wireloom, same location, etc.. so a thief will know exactly where to look... I tied this w/ dealer installed after because they might try to sel lyou a factory alarm OR they might try to sell you some cheap POS w/ a single purple button and no brand name (thats what my dealer did.. i was like HELL NO)...

anyway if you want a good install, w/ an alarm that is more effective.. go to a real car audio/alarm shop and tell them to hide the brain and conceal the wiring well... it will cost a bit more for a better installation.. but if it thwarts a theft attempt after the theif got into your car.. it will be all worth it.. remember time is a theifs enemy.. (among other things).. so the more time it takes him to defeat your security devices the better..