Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Alarm uninstall and reinstall questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm uninstall and reinstall questions...

I have never installed an alarm by myself before so I am not sure if this is even possible or not!

Here's what I'm doing.

I currently own a '95 Civic with an Alpine alarm, I don't know the model # but it has keyless entry. I bought the alarm two years ago and had it installed at the shop where I purchased it.

I am buying a '91 Civic LX sedan in the next couple of weeks and I want to know if it would be worth it to uninstall the alarm from my current car and put it in the sedan. I would rather not spend another 400-500 on a new alarm when the one in my car works great.

How hard is it to uninstall an alarm? I know there is a small "brain" under the dash, and there is also some switch mounted down near the hood pop.

Can I just unhook all the wires and install the alarm in the new car? Or, should I pay someone else to do it?

Old 09-21-2005, 10:27 AM
apm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alarm uninstall and reinstall questions... (EJ1 wilcox)

shouldn't be too hard to do...remove the old one...remember where the wiring goes...

and you need wire locations for the new car...

Old 09-21-2005, 05:03 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Removing the alarm is as easy as finding the brain, unplugging it and then fallow all the wires to where the are connected into the cars wiring, and disconnecting there, DO NOT cut any wires that come from the alarm except where they are connected into the cars wiring, [you will want to keep the wiring as long as possible] you also do not want to cut the impact sen. cable. [looks like a thick black ground wire] if you go here and "click" up your car, [and if the install was done properly] http://www.bulldogsecurity.com...s.htm it will give you an idea of where the connections are made, [there is more then one place to make some of the connections].
Find the alarm brain and let me know what the model is and I can be of more help. 94
Old 09-21-2005, 05:11 PM
fcm
Old Fart

PS it is defiantly worth removing, and not that hard to install if you can solder, have a solder gun/pencil, logic tester, [computer safe test light] or multimeter or can borrow them from someone, and are not too intimidated by a cars wiring.
Or you can just take it to an Alpine dealer and have them install it.
Feel free to IM me if you need more help.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alarm uninstall and reinstall questions... (fcm)

Thanks for the help!

I am not scared of wiring really, I am good at soldering and have done a lot of other types of wiring. I just haven't done an alarm before.

I will give it a try though! Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I trace the wires and remember where they go. Maybe I'll label each wire for reference.

Thanks again for the advice! I'll post up again if I have any more questions!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like fcm said its worth removing and installing it again. Just make sure when you remove the wires to cover them up wire tape so they dont touch.

wiring help:
http://www.directwholesale.net...LLDOG
Old 09-22-2005, 07:55 AM

One thing no one else mentioned is if your alarm has a starter kill your starter wire will need to be reconnected together after you uninstall the alarm or your car wont start
Old 09-22-2005, 08:03 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help!

I am not scared of wiring really, I am good at soldering and have done a lot of other types of wiring. I just haven't done an alarm before.

I will give it a try though! Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I trace the wires and remember where they go. Maybe I'll label each wire for reference.

Thanks again for the advice! I'll post up again if I have any more questions! </TD></TR></TABLE> YW, You don't need to label the wires, owner and install guides you can download at http://www.alpine.com if you need to and where they are connected in the 95 may not be the same as in the 91, also when it was installed in the 95, they may not have made the connections at the best place.
Do you know what model it is yet? 94
Old 09-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MLD211)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MLD211 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One thing no one else mentioned is if your alarm has a starter kill your starter wire will need to be reconnected together after you uninstall the alarm or your car wont start</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point, I was wondering about that. I know the car doesn't start if the alarm is armed. So I'll have to make sure to solder that wire back together.