Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Alarm/Kill switch questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm/Kill switch questions

Hi guys i want to add some more security to my EK. My friends ek coupe just got stolen and they striped everything off the car, even the wiper blades and i dont want my car to end up like that. I already have a Clifford 3.3X with 2 way pager 2000 feet range and i added the hood pin sensor today. The shop that did my alarm did a basic install and charged me 400 for the alarm with install and 50 for the hood pin sensor with install. They did a basic install tho and my alarm horn is in the typical place and i don't have a back up battery. I want to hide the the horn so the thieves cant just cut it. Where and how should i do this? i think i can do it myself. I also want to go to the shop and get the back up battery added, can this be done?...I was thinking of getting ravelco but after i read what u guys said about it now i know its not worth the 400, i would rather do a kill switch requiring a key so even if the thieves find it they cant just push a bottom or flip a switch they would need a key. How should i do this? Thanks for your help
Old 08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alarm/Kill switch questions

anyone?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM

We're a slow-paced forum.

Toss the siren into the driver side fender, under the liner, by removing the fender. For your 1996 to 2000 Honda Civic it will require taking off the sideskirt (2'ish screws at the fender, and just some clips) then using a 10mm socket on the fender bolts. There's one in the door, one or two at the side skirt, and the ones under hood.

Face the siren downward and run the wires along that little opening to protect them, right below the hood release cable which you should relocate.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Davus
We're a slow-paced forum.

Toss the siren into the driver side fender, under the liner, by removing the fender. For your 1996 to 2000 Honda Civic it will require taking off the sideskirt (2'ish screws at the fender, and just some clips) then using a 10mm socket on the fender bolts. There's one in the door, one or two at the side skirt, and the ones under hood.

Face the siren downward and run the wires along that little opening to protect them, right below the hood release cable which you should relocate.
Thats a perfect idea for relocating the hord siren. Thanks...anyone have input on my other questions?

Last edited by BlueRex1020; 08-05-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A backup battery can be added and the brain should be relocated to somewhere less accessible.

Having a keyed kill switch won't do any good. The thieves will just cut and splice the wires on either side of the key to bypass it. Better to have a well-hidden switch.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tekkaboy
A backup battery can be added and the brain should be relocated to somewhere less accessible.

Having a keyed kill switch won't do any good. The thieves will just cut and splice the wires on either side of the key to bypass it. Better to have a well-hidden switch.
I know what you mean with the keyed kill switch but i'm not planing on leaving it exposed, i meant hidden it very well but also needing a key for it in case the thieves do find it. Also is hidding the alarm horn under the fender the best idea?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hiding it is good, I just don't know if having a key is going to make that much of a difference, since once they find it they can easily bypass it.

Yes, putting the siren in the fender is fine.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Run a switch from the black/yellow wire at the main relay to ground. If anybody tries to start the car, the ecu fuse pops! Even if they find the switch and toggle it, its too late! This setup can also be used on cars with turbo timers. But you have to wire in a relay to the starter signal wire. If you suspect the thieves will find and replace the popped fuse, just run an inline fuse downstream of the main relay and tape it up.

Last edited by 92civlude; 08-07-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92civlude
Run a switch from the black/yellow wire at the main relay to ground. If anybody tries to start the car, the ecu fuse pops! Even if they find the switch and toggle it, its too late! This setup can also be used on cars with turbo timers. But you have to wire in a relay to the starter signal wire. If you suspect the thieves will find and replace the popped fuse, just run an inline fuse downstream of the main relay and tape it up.
hmmm dats a really good idea...i gota see if sum1 i know or a shop can do this cus i have no idea how..
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueRex1020
hmmm dats a really good idea...i gota see if sum1 i know or a shop can do this cus i have no idea how..
I will get back to you on Monday and walk you through it. Its easy.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlueRex1020
anyone?
OK BlueRex, I have the info for you. Remove the glove box. To the right of glove box, you will see the main relay. Unplug it, tap into the yellow/green wire to another wire. Run the wire where you want your kill switch located. Get a good 2 on/off toggle switch.Install the switch. Attach the wire you ran from the main relay to the switch. It does not matter which pin you attach it to. Attach another wire to the other side of the switch. Attach the end of that wire to a good ground. (metal bracket under the dash) Radio Shack will have the connectors, wire 16-18 gauge, and a switch for you. Now if you start the car with the switch "on", the fuel pump fuse pops! GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you carry extra fuses with you in case you forget to flip the switch before starting your car, haha.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HA! No sh*t. That happened to me! I took my chick out to eat and popped my fuse when we were leaving. I didnt have an extra so I used the heater blower fuse. GOOD POINT!