Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD?

Ive got an 88 Civic hatch, just looking for some protection because I just moved and and added about 5k in motor work to my car. Im looking at this alarm on Ebay, its $140 shipped, seems basic but I really dont knwo wat anything means

I already have a removeable steering wheel and a clutch lock but I feel I need more.

Is this alarm good for parking lots and such? I live in an apartment and have to park outside about 150ft away on the same level. Will this alarm be enough to scare people away or do I have to go with a pager alarm?

I would like the alarm to sound when
-someone tries to pry window or door
-hood/door is openned
-glass is smashed

Viper 560 XV Alarm w/ Remote Start.
Pretty much new except i opened it once when i got it
but since then i've never opened it once.
*New miniature 4-button Remotes
*Cool super-bright Blue Status LED
*Smaller module with Viper badge
*Vehicle Recovery System
*Parking light flash
*+/- Doorlock Polarity Outputs
*Two 4-button Remotes
*4 channels
*5 zones
*Flashing LED light
*Valet switch
*6 Tone Revenger Siren
*Remote Panic/Car Finder
*Domelight Supervision output ready.
*Failsafe Starter kill Built in, along with
Remote Start Anti-grind (active/passive).
*$2,500 Guaranteed Protection Plan
*Viper quality, with Limited
Lifetime Warranty!
*Extended range antenna
(Quarter mile range)
*Now includes the XHF Super Antenna.

I do have the removable wheel and the clutch lock so I know its realyl never gonna get taken unless they tow it, but will this alarm ward off pretty much all forms of theft, like people trying to take my gauges and ****?

How would you rate install toughness? I was thinking of installing myself but am not to great wth wiring at all
Old 03-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (TurblowEF)

A alarm is not going to stop a smash and grab. Lets get this said first. I had my driver window broken out and my autometer monster tach stolen, And my alarm has amost every dei optional sensor's. First, a Alarm is there to draw unwanted attention to your car while a theif or unwanted person is in or next two your car. Second, a alarm is there to activate any kill switches that you may have wired to it or if some someone hits the car or bumps it it sets off the scock sensor. Now, your alarm is as good as the install, and this is stated many times. There are good installes and there are bad. If your alarm is thrown under the dash and is in plain sight its not going to do much to keep your car there and the theif is just going to unplug it. If it stashed way up in the dash were it can't be got to its a good install.

Make sure you get a back-up battery with your alarm. So in case the theif unplugs your battery your alarm is still fuctioning. Also don't put the siren were it can be access to, What good is it going to do if been cut. Take a look at "suspended hatch" write up. It has some really good information on how to do your alarm. If your not able to do it. Take it to some who is capable of doing it.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:07 AM

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

Im probably going to take it to a shop to install

But Im curious if I should just go aehad and install this Fusion 2000 alarm ive got (generic sound maker for $20 off ebay) or if I have to spend the money on a $300 alarm and a $200 install

I think i may just go ahead and install the fusion f2000, i dont trust anyone else with my car
Old 03-11-2006, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (TurblowEF)

Like "fcm sig" You get what you pay for. Get your self a brand name alarm like what you posted first, add a back-up battery and make sure you get it from a dealer. Ie-Dei or compustar. Yes be prepared to spend money on a good setup. I rather spend money and have a good install then spend less and worry if the job was done right. If I was in your shoes.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

Clifford concept 450. Digital battery backup (no key) , coded valet switch and a closed starter kill (ie still won't start if alarm power is disconnected).

Not familiar with compustar but I haven't heard anything bad about them. Viper on the other hand, is not the best out there.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:05 PM
99-0104

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (got_no_sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by got_no_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clifford concept 450. Digital battery backup (no key) , coded valet switch and a closed starter kill (ie still won't start if alarm power is disconnected).

Not familiar with compustar but I haven't heard anything bad about them. Viper on the other hand, is not the best out there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a funny post .. doesent viper own clifford so clifford and viper are the same quality they are both pretty good
Old 03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (Stripped Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stripped Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a funny post .. doesent viper own clifford so clifford and viper are the same quality they are both pretty good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Get your facts straight. Dei owns both. Viper's are good, but there's better out there.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (got_no_sol)

I'll admit that there may be a better alarm than Viper/Python/etc. But on the other hand, I have no real complaints, and I have yet to see "better". Compustar I would not say is better except maybe in range.

One major thing Viper has going for it is code hopping. Otherwise it's pretty easy for someone to capture your remote signal and steal your car.

Viper/Python lets you choose normally open or normally closed. Normally open is not popular because if the alarm fails, the customer is stranded.

Everything else I've seen in their long list of features is the same between all alarms except the higher end alarms add more convenience and two way paging with lcd remote.

Taking it to a shop... I don't know... I have yet to see any shop that does it to my liking. I work at CC, I've seen BB, I've seen Al & Eds, Tweeter, small local shops. They range from acceptable for the amount spent on the labor to just ******* embarrassing.

If I had even $2500 invested in a car I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a tracking system. No one with a tracking system ever complains.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (suspendedHatch)

https://honda-tech.com/zeropost...55712

I opted to install my fusion f2000 base alarm with shock sensor and door opener alarm type deal, With the money I saved I just bought a removeable wheel and hub and will be installing a kill switch or two shortly

Can you guys help me with this install, ive posted my questions in the above thread, most is figured out but the door triggers and how I wire them, about 10 posts down
Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ALARM GURUS - Viper 560 XV w/ Remote Start. GOOD or BAD? (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll admit that there may be a better alarm than Viper/Python/etc. But on the other hand, I have no real complaints, and I have yet to see "better". Compustar I would not say is better except maybe in range.

One major thing Viper has going for it is code hopping. Otherwise it's pretty easy for someone to capture your remote signal and steal your car.

Viper/Python lets you choose normally open or normally closed. Normally open is not popular because if the alarm fails, the customer is stranded.

Everything else I've seen in their long list of features is the same between all alarms except the higher end alarms add more convenience and two way paging with lcd remote.

Taking it to a shop... I don't know... I have yet to see any shop that does it to my liking. I work at CC, I've seen BB, I've seen Al & Eds, Tweeter, small local shops. They range from acceptable for the amount spent on the labor to just ******* embarrassing.

If I had even $2500 invested in a car I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a tracking system. No one with a tracking system ever complains.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ditto that!