Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - non responsive

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - non responsive

A few days ago it was very cold (-4 deg F) and my wife returned shortly after leaving the house complaining that the radio was not working. It's not asking for a security code or anything - totally non responsive to any inputs - just sits there blank, EXCEPT for the blinking red "security" light that normally only blinks when parked (I don't think I ever recall this light blinking other than when parked).

I have checked the fuse and its ok. Also checked fuse(s) for rear windows which both stopped working a couple months ago - were also ok.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I was considering disconneting the battery to try to 'force a reboot'. Would like to avoid taking to dealer. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - non responsive (RLS_Ody)

Do you think you could pull the unit out of the dash? Without doing so it is probably going to be pretty hard for us to help. You certainly try disconnecting the battery to see if that makes any difference. Do you have access to a volt/ohm meter?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - non responsive (White Smoke)

I do have a voltmeter. I have no idea where to start for pulling the unit from the dash. I'll try disconnecting the battery first and will post back after that to let you know whether successful. Thanks for your help so far.

Was hoping perhaps there was a known history / solution for this issue - I've owned Hondas for 17 years and it seems like if there's a failure on one, its happening on lots of others.

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:14 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: 2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - non responsive (RLS_Ody)

There could be... Unfortunately I don't think there is many people on this site that know too much about the Odyssey. You could check for a recall...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing I would also check is if you have any shorts at one of the speakers. Sometimes if a speaker terminal is shorting out by touching the frame, the whole system will not turn on. Try taking the radio out, and test the power with a multi-meter, and check the resistance for the speakers, that should determine where exactly the problem is.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Norb)

is ther any other eletrical components that have stopped working besides windows and stereo, and did both windows stop working at the same???
Old 02-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working.

You guys out there are great. I really appreciate your ideas.

Here's an update on the radion situation...

I learned that the diagram / key provided for the fuse layout is not always accurate on the Odyssey. So, I just went and pulled every single fuse until guess what... I found one blown! Replaced it and RADIO NOW WORKS!

Moral of the story... if you have an electrical problem that you suspect could be coused by a fuse, check em all before you go farther! I was just about to start pulling the radio out of the dash.

As for the rear windows. Thy still DO NOT WORK. Both stopped working at same time. Whn the button is pressed up from on drivers door, I can hear a soft "click" sound from back by the windows but no action. Apparently this is an isolated issue from the radio problem.

Thanks again for the ideas on the radio.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working. (RLS_Ody)

By the way, 5150CIVIC, love the Clarkson quote!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working. (RLS_Ody)

I am experiencing the same problem with my radio on my 2002 Odessey. Anti theft light is blinking and it is not asking for a code. Which fuse was it? I am very frustrated and tried all things you mentioned? any help would be appreciated.

Bill
Old 03-02-2008, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working. (bcocozza)

you guys are great! I checked the passenger side fuse box and the accessory fuse was blown. Radio is working again.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RLS_Ody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the rear windows. Thy still DO NOT WORK. Both stopped working at same time. When the button is pressed up from on drivers door, I can hear a soft "click" sound from back by the windows but no action. Apparently this is an isolated issue from the radio problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This could be a bad relay but it's tough to tell. Unfortunately I am not sure how the rear windows are setup in the Odyssey but I would try and find exactly where the sound is coming from and troubleshoot from there.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working. (bcocozza)

That's good news. It's always nice to find a simple solution.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
gkc

I experienced the same problem with the audio system on my 2003 Odyssey today. Thanks for the tip. The radio fuse was ok, but the ACC fuse was blown. Radio/tape/CD are working again.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Trial User

Icon7 Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working. (RLS_Od

Originally Posted by bcocozza
I am experiencing the same problem with my radio on my 2002 Odessey. Anti theft light is blinking and it is not asking for a code. Which fuse was it? I am very frustrated and tried all things you mentioned? any help would be appreciated.

Bill

ODYSSEY'04 -- The fuse #9 (15Amp) in the passenger-side fusebox was the culprit. Interchanged the #9 (burned 15A) with #10 (license plate 15A good) to test, and both radio and charger started working. Now heading to buy a 15A. You can try the same.
Mohammad Arif
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - non responsive

There are two (2) fuses for the radio.
You have an acc. fuse, hot when ign. switch is in acc. and run positions.
You have a 12V+ constant fuse, hot at all times.
Your acc. fuse is blown, [re; led flashing when ign. on].

Do you have power to both the rear window fuses with the ign. switch on? 94
Old 02-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: 2003 Odyssey Radio Suddenly Stopped Working - Non Responsive

I have the exact same problem.
I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey. I have two CD players/Radios. One is the original (Radio/CD not tape) and one is an aftermarket (DVD/CD/Radio). I took out the aftermarket radio because it stopped working. Seemed like there was no power to the system at all. I took it out and replaced it with the original Honda radio. The red "Security" light started flashing but the LCD screen was completely not on. I checked the ACC fuse under the hood and several of the fuses on the passenger side. Please help! I'm going on a trip to Alberta and it's going to suck to not be able to play music or anything.

Thanks in advance!
Edison Swartz
Old 07-19-2019, 12:37 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Raio on 2003 Odyssey suddenly stopped working - rear windows not working. (bcocoz

Originally Posted by RLS_Ody
That's good news. It's always nice to find a simple solution.
03 no sound from radio,no code flashing,can't find fuse in back of radio that's claimed to be there. Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Norb
One thing I would also check is if you have any shorts at one of the speakers. Sometimes if a speaker terminal is shorting out by touching the frame, the whole system will not turn on. Try taking the radio out, and test the power with a multi-meter, and check the resistance for the speakers, that should determine where exactly the problem is.
I have radio removed from dash and no fuse to be seen. 03 Odyssey no sound but Powers up fine
Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Trial User

No power on my radio in my 2003 odyssey,checked fuses,pulled radio to see if any fuse on it,none.Replaced my car battery still no power to radio! Any help would be appreciated