Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

1991 CRX Main relay kill switch

Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1991 CRX Main relay kill switch

I'm trying to wire a "secret hidden kill switch" for my main relay. The only problem is, when I disconnect the black wire (ground) at the main relay and test it [if this is the wire I wish to interrupt] by hooking the wire up to a switch, with the switch off and when I place the key in "accessory", all the main relay does is "click" non-stop.

I've tried disconnecting wires one by one, a single wire at a time, and the main relay just clicks non stop with the key in "accessory" mode no matter which wire I choose.

Is there any way to wire up a "secret hidden kill switch" to my main relay and NOT have this constant clicking noise?

If so, please post a simple "yes" and please PM me with details so it's not public knowledge on the forums for thieves.

I don't care about 92+ main relays. I don't want your input.
I'm only looking for input from 88-91 Civic/CRX owners.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX Main relay kill switch

anyone...?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had this issue your talking about. Does the car have a swap or any mods done to the electrical system? What kind of switch are you useing?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is running obd1 d16z6. Rywire conversion harness. Everything else is all OEM.

My "secret hidden kill switch" consists of 2 relays, a push button, and another switch. These connect to the wire I wish to interrupt.

Even when I use a simple toggle switch mocked up, it still gives me the clicking, regardless of which wires I interrupt.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know why this is happening, The relay is pulling ground thru a defferent circuit trying to operate. Now I am stummped to as why. Do you have a multi meter? And a new relay or spare to test. Also can you check the ground on the thermostate housing to make sure its clean and tight. I never had this problem and I be glad to help you figure it out. It will also help me too if I fall into this situration. I am thinking it has to be in the conversion harness. You deleated the risestor box. Sorrry, I typing this from a crappy phone.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll also mention it's a 91 CRX DX. It's been converted to mpfi (no issues), then to obd1 using a Rywire ecu adapter harness. It's a stock D16z6 with completely stock P28 ecu.

Yes, I have a multi meter. And I have a spare main relay to test. The current main relay itself is a known good one.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First you only need one switch for your latching relay "kill switch", [I assume it is a latching relay setup as you have two relays, however that is unlikely your problem although I would like to know how you wired it.

I agree with killer it is a "grounding" issue, relay is receiving a "sudo" ground from someplace, a clicking relay is a sign the relays ground is bad, [poor ground].

Interrupt the ECU/ECM control lead to the fuel pump relay, [ground to fuel pump relays coil].94
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
I know why this is happening, The relay is pulling ground thru a defferent circuit trying to operate. Now I am stummped to as why. Do you have a multi meter? And a new relay or spare to test. Also can you check the ground on the thermostate housing to make sure its clean and tight. I never had this problem and I be glad to help you figure it out. It will also help me too if I fall into this situration. I am thinking it has to be in the conversion harness. You deleated the risestor box. Sorrry, I typing this from a crappy phone.
Update: This is exactly what the problem was. The plug at the driver's side shock tower had the ground wire for the EACV in the wrong spot. I had to depin that wire and move it to the correct location and now everything works perfect.