Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

1 way alarm vs 2 way pager alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 way alarm vs 2 way pager alarm

Ok, i know a guy locally that can install an alarm system for me at a good price. My question is do I really need a 2 way pager alarm. Mon-Fri I am at work, i work days, always people around the parking lot, at night car is garaged in my home. When I go out 90% of the time its during the day. At night I take my girls car because its a scion tc and a less stolen vehicle all stock. Is it worth the extra 75$ for the 2 way paging system. What are you guys running and what should i keep in mind?

DEI hornet basic (remote door unlock, panic, arm, disarm)
1 way
hood trip sensor
DEI glass break sensor
clean hidden install

Installed for 200$

vs

DEI (not sure which model) basic (remote door unlock, panic, arm, disarm)
2 way pager
hood trip sensor
DEI glass break sensor
clean hidden install

Installed for 275$
Old 02-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Default Re: 1 way alarm vs 2 way pager alarm

i hate how this thread gets low visiblity.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do your self a favor, and forget hornet all together. i know they're still made under the DEI corp. but they're trash. trust me. its about their cheapest alarm they sell.

2 way alarms are simply peace of mind on checking to see if you locked your car via LCD remote, or alert warnings transmitted to your remote. stage 1, and full alert notifications.

every alarm shoudl have the following... (1 or 2 way)
atleast 1 hood pin switch
hidden exterior siren, and wiring
back up battery
interior pizzo siren

opt. glass break, tilt, proximity..

every alarm should be installed in a stealth matter, or "clean install", and the items ive mentioned should be taken into serious consideration if you want to keep your car safe.

you can have the best alarm installed, hidden in the craziest location, but once a thief opens your hood, and pulls the battery terminals off, your alarm is pointless. ask around, your installer should be discussing this with you...
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by driveslow
i hate how this thread gets low visiblity.
Unread 02-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM

and its great you expect a million answers in under an hour, 46 mins to be exact in a forum that isn't as active as other popular forums... sorry we don't wait for new topics to appear.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Built B16A
Unread 02-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM

and its great you expect a million answers in under an hour, 46 mins to be exact in a forum that isn't as active as other popular forums... sorry we don't wait for new topics to appear.

You just get de-sesitized to the fact, thats all. you post something in appearnce section and 3 seconds later you have a response. Its all all good though.

Very good point abount lcd remote stating that the doors are lock and armed. I hated it with my other vehicles forgeting if i armed it.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a viper 791xv 2 way pager. think it's worth it. remote start notification, and also last time someone tried to break into my car. pager went off, didn't hear alarm.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:08 AM

do you think with the prices listed above in my first post, that I should be able to get a DEI non hornet 2 way alarm for 275 installed? or is that pushing it. I dont want to low ball the dude
Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 ways are cool... i appreciate the performance in reguards to the price increase.

there's been a few times, ive had my hands full, walked in the house, or a store, and didn't remember if i had locked my car. look at my remote, and be able to arm it.. and know if my remote was actually in range.

if you give the alarm a command, from the remote, and it is out of range, it will beep all crazy.

range is amazing on the 1 mile remotes. its not 1 mile, but its respectable.

2 way remotes give you command confirmation, arm alarm, 1 beep on the remote. un-arm alarm, the remote beeps twice... warn alerts, and full alert (90 second siren) alerts on the remote. like 97 civic said.. his alarm was going off.. he didn't hear his car, but his remote was beeping... that right there is worth it.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a pretty good deal from what i see.. but before you go through with it, please ask more questions.. literally, if your not going to use a back up battery, you might as well give up now.

also, is he going to spend the time to hide your siren? there's too many storys of the small 18ga wire to the alarm being pulled out, or cut.

my siren is in my fender, and the wiring is ran through the uni frame. there is no way you can get to the siren without serious body damage, or alot of effort.

the average hidden install should prolly take around 4-6 hours. of course more for remote start, or extra sensors..

if your not going to have the alarm installed RIGHT, might as well take it to BB, or CC... well, ok BB, since CC is going out of business.. lol
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM

since they are going out of business can you throw out a few models of 2 ways I should consider. Something that fits my criteria and it seems like a must to have the back up battery. Before he gets to my house, i will pull the bumper and fender to save him time and keep the price down.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

viper, clifford, phython.. anything under those names... DEI makes several subsidiary products but none of them have the quality that those 3 have.

viper 5002 / remote start 5901 or 5701.
clifford matrix 12.5X / remote start 50.7X or 50.5X
phython 902 / remote start 991 or 990.

all of those listed have LCD remotes. some make remote starts without LCD, prolly a little cheaper, but its best to visually see whats going on.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM

im going to hit up CC after work. How much would you expect to pay without any discounts for those models minus the remote start
Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM

do you think this is a good deal?

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/1021161431.html
Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

python 902 crutchfield $350. cheap website $230 (no warranty of course)
clifford 12.5X cheap website $165
viper 5502 ebay 180.

alarms are hard to find online.. they're not supported with warranty, and the common household mechanic isn't typically inclined to install him self. DEI also has a stiff dealer agreement to only sell and warranty through approved dealers. so websites, ebay, they're all grey market type sales, that should be avoided.

but.. if you must, you can get a 2 way LCD alarm for 200-220.. install extra. battery extra. additional sensors, and sirens extra.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sounds like a great alarm, for a reasonable price. but your buying electronics from joe shmoe. does it garentee it to work?

i hate buying electronics unless i get a recipt, and could actually take it back. if i bought a sub from BB, and it blew, i could atleast try and send it back through waranty.

of course im saying this last resort, and ive had my remote start installed for about a year, and no problems, but what if.. then your kinda screwed.

atleast i know if something happen to my alarm, or it started killing my battery, i could take it back to my installer, a authorized DEI installer, and he can warranty it for me.

to me, that peace of mind is worth the extra 40-50 bucks.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Built B16A
that sounds like a great alarm, for a reasonable price. but your buying electronics from joe shmoe. does it garentee it to work?

i hate buying electronics unless i get a recipt, and could actually take it back. if i bought a sub from BB, and it blew, i could atleast try and send it back through waranty.

of course im saying this last resort, and ive had my remote start installed for about a year, and no problems, but what if.. then your kinda screwed.

atleast i know if something happen to my alarm, or it started killing my battery, i could take it back to my installer, a authorized DEI installer, and he can warranty it for me.

to me, that peace of mind is worth the extra 40-50 bucks.
so true... I hate headaches
Old 02-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Built 16a is correct. lol

I told him about the hornet as a entry level two way alarm. A week later we swapped it out for the better unit-50.5x. lol. Funny Because I was telling him the range was entry level. But don't get me wrong. It has great features to make up for range. Also a alarm is only as good as the install. It will do the job if installed right. Better to save and get the better model if you can.

And built b16a, your invoice is sitting here were you left it :p
Old 02-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wrx-killer-Sti-eater
And built b16a, your invoice is sitting here were you left it :p
cool, i still need it, i havne't been down to the insurance company yet, to see if they will help me out with my policy rates...

anyways, i might come down soon, i want to add a prox. sensor to my install.

another thing about the remotes and range, the hornet sucked ***. and it was unbearable. even though i didn't use the hornet for a long period of time, the 5 days i had it, sucked.. but i can't say enough about the SST or whatever its called.. i was at costco yesterday, and for fun, im always trying to test the remote out, and even in the back of costco, through that huge warehouse, and half way deep in the parking lot, it RX, and TX'ed my door lock confirmation. i was surprised.