Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Scottp11's RHD Turbo DC4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Scottp11's RHD Turbo DC4 Build

Not much of an update, but I will have some more after this long weekend is over. I got my Hondata S300 v3 in on Friday!

The car should be running this by tomorrow or later today. I still have to weld the rest of the intercooler piping and some other small things, but not much.

Thanks for viewing, and as always, all comments and/or criticism is welcome!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I got a lot done this weekend, even though the pictures might not show it.

I got all the wiring done under the dash and then put the dash in to make sure everything works correctly. So far, so good!

Then I went to Lowe's to get this board to cover the area in my hatch and to mount the battery and nitrous bottle to. The board fit like a glove and will be carpeted using the stock Integra carpet.

Here's a rear-end shot:

I finished the drivers side wiring under the fender, and then mounted it. I'm happy with the fitment on this side, but have to work on the other side some more.

After the fender was fitted, I mounted the front bumper to make sure everything lined up still. Looks good so far!

Thanks for viewing!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep up the great work! It's going to be **** when it's finished.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16B Four Door
keep up the great work! It's going to be **** when it's finished.
Thanks! I'm so close, but finding time to work on it is the hardest part of this build! My plan is to have it done by September 17th.

Yesterday I finished mocking up my intercooler piping. I still have to weld it up, but it's almost done. Here's a couple pics of how it looks now. I still have to decide where I'm gonna mount my BOV.

I also pulled out the rear seats and left inner panel to re-run the main power wire, so that's all squared away now. I should get a lot done this weekend though, and will have pics up Sunday or Monday.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, I didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted to, but...

I was going to make this radiator bracket out of sheet metal, but remembered I had a piece of carbon fiber laying around, that would look a lot better. I made a template and cut it out with a dremel. I really like it, and am happy with the results.

I even got the stock rubber grommet to fit.

And here it is mounted.

I also threw my windshield on, (mostly to get it out the way) but it looks really good on there after some cleaning.

Also got this in on Friday. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it or not though.

I have the JDM one also, but cant seem to find the "Type R Honda" badge for it.

And here they both are, side by side.

I should have some time this afternoon after work to weld up the intercooler piping, and if so, I'll post up pics. There's only minor things left. Hope you like so far!!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good man and I just got my usdm type r arm rest on on Wednesday or Thursday. Gotta get that stuff while we can!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! what a build! Love the vision, and the expert planning noted through. Well organized and tastefully executed. Finish it strong!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16B Four Door
Looks good man and I just got my usdm type r arm rest on on Wednesday or Thursday. Gotta get that stuff while we can!
Thank you! And you're absolutely right about these parts! There are so many parts that I passed up on in the past, that are now unavailable. I know how rare (and expensive) the 98 spec ITR steering wheel is, so as soon as I saw it on PasswordJDM, I jumped on it. Even though I haven't received it yet...

Originally Posted by OG Wagon
Wow! what a build! Love the vision, and the expert planning noted through. Well organized and tastefully executed. Finish it strong!
Thank you so much!!! It's comments like this that give me the additional motivation to get out there in the garage and get to work on it, even after a loooong day at work.

Well, I welded up my intercooler piping yesterday, but I still have to decide where I want my BOV. On the hatch, it was up closer to the throttle body, but I'm debating on putting it lower, near the intercooler. Once I figure that out, I'll weld it and post pics. I'm also expecting a package today, the 15th, and the 16th, all parts for the car. Hopefully everything arrives on time, and I'll have the car ready by my original goal of September 17th.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last night, I got out there and installed my intercooler piping. I still have to figure out where I'm going to mount my BOV, but that shouldn't take too long. Also, after installing the intercooler piping, I realized that I'd have to move the radiator overflow tank, so I have to figure out where that's gonna go now. I also plan to grind down the welds on the piping and polish the aluminum.

Here they are, all tightened down and fitting correctly.

Here is a top view with the intercooler piping installed, and a front view.

Then I realized I'd forgotten to install that grill piece in the middle, so I put that on.

Hopefully I'll have some more updates tonight, and as always, all comments and/or criticism is welcome!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed! I want to see the finished product.

-Amp
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I haven't posted on here in a couple weeks, but hopefully I'll get some more pics up soon. I started the car up and let it run for a while, then noticed my water pump was leaking profusely... I had to tear down that whole side of the motor, and then went to the Honda dealership, only to find out they didn't have one in stock. Right now the car is sitting on jack-stands with a jack holding the left side of the motor up, until my new water pump gets here.

I did get a lot done in the interior though. I wired up my boost, oil pressure, and A/F ratio gauges, and wired up the radio. I installed all the trim pieces and also had a new windshield installed. I was able to save my old one, by while hooking up the boost gauge vacuum hose, I guess my elbow was leaning on the windshield a little too hard, and cracked it.

I'm still trying to figure out the wiring for the doors though. The motor on the drivers side (right side) has a 2-prong connector, while on the passenger side (left side), there is a 4-prong connector. Which would be fine if the window switches were still on those sides, but to make everything "right-hand-drive", I swapped them...

I did mount my overflow reservoir and a catch can that connects to the valve cover using -10 fittings and hose, which came out really nice, and also polished my radiator and intercooler piping with Blue Magic.

Once my water pump arrives, I should be out driving it that same day... As long as nothing else goes wrong.

I'll try to get some pics up later today or tomorrow if I can. Thanks for viewing!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottp11
I know I haven't posted on here in a couple weeks, but hopefully I'll get some more pics up soon. I started the car up and let it run for a while, then noticed my water pump was leaking profusely... I had to tear down that whole side of the motor, and then went to the Honda dealership, only to find out they didn't have one in stock. Right now the car is sitting on jack-stands with a jack holding the left side of the motor up, until my new water pump gets here.

I did get a lot done in the interior though. I wired up my boost, oil pressure, and A/F ratio gauges, and wired up the radio. I installed all the trim pieces and also had a new windshield installed. I was able to save my old one, by while hooking up the boost gauge vacuum hose, I guess my elbow was leaning on the windshield a little too hard, and cracked it.

I'm still trying to figure out the wiring for the doors though. The motor on the drivers side (right side) has a 2-prong connector, while on the passenger side (left side), there is a 4-prong connector. Which would be fine if the window switches were still on those sides, but to make everything "right-hand-drive", I swapped them...

I did mount my overflow reservoir and a catch can that connects to the valve cover using -10 fittings and hose, which came out really nice, and also polished my radiator and intercooler piping with Blue Magic.

Once my water pump arrives, I should be out driving it that same day... As long as nothing else goes wrong.

I'll try to get some pics up later today or tomorrow if I can. Thanks for viewing!
This is why I just bought all four doors from an SIR-G. haha Everyone said you can do it without but it comes pre-wired with folding mirrors and what not. Plug and play and I'm done, didn't want to have to worry.

Glad you got some more wrench time in though!

-Amp
Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SIR-G Amp
This is why I just bought all four doors from an SIR-G. haha Everyone said you can do it without but it comes pre-wired with folding mirrors and what not. Plug and play and I'm done, didn't want to have to worry.

Glad you got some more wrench time in though!

-Amp
I'm honestly contemplating it. Hmotorsonline has them for $400, but I'd just yank all the internals out and put them in my existing doors so I don't have to worry about painting them, and lining everything up again. I wish I could find just the Japanese motors for the doors. That'd make everything so much easier for me.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm honestly contemplating it. Hmotorsonline has them for $400, but I'd just yank all the internals out and put them in my existing doors so I don't have to worry about painting them, and lining everything up again. I wish I could find just the Japanese motors for the doors. That'd make everything so much easier for me.
I was half tempted just to find internals and all that as well but just buying the doors seemed like way less work and sure-fire fit. Swapping all internals and harnesses just seemed like another thing to possibly go wrong. My whole car is getting painted anyway so the fact that they are black means nothing to me personally. My oem doors unfortunately aren't in the best shape either, so once again new doors for me worked out. I hope you get it all situated though!

-Amp
Old 10-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was half tempted just to find internals and all that as well but just buying the doors seemed like way less work and sure-fire fit. Swapping all internals and harnesses just seemed like another thing to possibly go wrong. My whole car is getting painted anyway so the fact that they are black means nothing to me personally. My oem doors unfortunately aren't in the best shape either, so once again new doors for me worked out. I hope you get it all situated though!

-Amp
We'll see. I'm not going to give up just yet. I've been studying wiring diagrams this entire build, so hopefully I can make this work too.

As promised, I have a few pics to post up. Here's a box that I got from Honda that contained my windshield moldings, some bolts and nuts that I needed, as well as some clips and grommets.

And here is a couple pics of the front bumper fully mounted and bolted on.

Here is a carbon fiber piece I made to hold the A/F ratio, boost, and oil pressure gauges, along with the radio mounted. This was just for mock up, being that you can see the radio isn't connected in the pic.

And, I stopped being lazy and finally welded the flange to my BOV. It's an old school TurboXS RFL that I had on my hatch.

Then I polished the hell out of the radiator and intercooler piping before reinstalling them.

Here is the new windshield freshly installed. I didn't put the cowl cover on yet in this pic, but it's on now with the wipers installed.

....aaaaaaaand then the water pump went out... Here are a couple pics of the tear down. I only took pics because I was surprised how clean the inside of the motor still was.

That's it for now, but as soon as that water pump gets here, I'll get some more pics up.

Thanks for viewing and as always, all comments and criticism is welcome! If you see something that you think I should/could do to make the car better, please let me know!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jealous, I hope my DB8 turns out half as clean as this.

-Amp
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jealous, I hope my DB8 turns out half as clean as this.

-Amp
Thanks man! I really appreciate that, and I'm sure yours will be even cleaner. I'll try to get you those pics of the spot welds as soon as I can, I've just been crazy busy with work lately.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! I really appreciate that, and I'm sure yours will be even cleaner. I'll try to get you those pics of the spot welds as soon as I can, I've just been crazy busy with work lately.
I actually got it. Flipped it up and it was pretty obvious where they were. I guess I was just being a little lazy. Thanks though!

-Amp
Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, a couple people have asked me about the location of the spot welds that need to be drilled out for the RHD conversion. I thought I had a lot more pictures than I actually do, but I used Microsoft Paint to mark where I remember. I hope this helps, and if I find any more pics, I'll definitely post them up.

Again, I hope this helps a little.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everybody! I've got a few updates, but the car is still not up and running like I want it to... Small details here and there, and some parts are currently being shipped, but here's an update anyway.

I got home from work on Thursday and found that my son had brought my boxes inside! Like Christmas for me!

I got some misc. screws and grommets that I needed for the fender liners, o2 sensor bungs, clear side markers from ICB, Mugen oil cap, but most importantly, the water pump I've been waiting for. The Jegs box is full of exhaust piping.

So... I changed out the water pump pretty quickly, and then started the car up afterward. I let it run for a couple minutes, and then noticed coolant leaking again! Not from the water pump this time, but from the intake manifold... Once I found out where the leak was coming from, I tried re-torqueing the IM bolts, but that didn't fix the problem. So... I started taking everything off the manifold to take it off, just to find out my IM gasket had some kind of gouge or heat-warpage that made a small valley where coolant could leak out.

If you look closely, you can see that "valley" I was talking about in the lower left hand of the manifold gasket.

I ran up to O'Reilly's and grabbed a stock IM gasket, and but everything back together. I started it up again, and no leaks! (Until later...)

Then on Friday, I got these in! I ordered them back in July, but apparently they've been on back order forever.

So, before putting the lug nut on, I decided to re-bleed my brakes. They weren't as tight as I thought they should be, especially with the Wilwood's, so I re-bled them, and brakes feel great now! Afterward, I decided to re-bleed my clutch also. After doing so, I noticed a small drip from the banjo fitting going to the CMC. I thought, too easy... I'll just throw a wrench on the end of it and tighten it up a little. NOPE... As soon as I started turning, the bolt stripped the inside of the CMC... So yeah... FML. I ordered another from Majestic yesterday, and hopefully it'll be here before Friday, so I can change it out this weekend.

Here's a couple pics of the bay though. I was wondering what throttle cable you guys recommend. I have the stock JDM ITR one (that wraps all the way around the bay), a USDM ITR one, that is way too short, and the stock Integra LS one, that is also too short. I've heard that the GSR one, with a GSR throttle body bracket works and looks good. Can anyone confirm?

Old 10-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey everybody! I've got a few updates, but the car is still not up and running like I want it to... Small details here and there, and some parts are currently being shipped, but here's an update anyway.

I got home from work on Thursday and found that my son had brought my boxes inside! Like Christmas for me!

I got some misc. screws and grommets that I needed for the fender liners, o2 sensor bungs, clear side markers from ICB, Mugen oil cap, but most importantly, the water pump I've been waiting for. The Jegs box is full of exhaust piping.

So... I changed out the water pump pretty quickly, and then started the car up afterward. I let it run for a couple minutes, and then noticed coolant leaking again! Not from the water pump this time, but from the intake manifold... Once I found out where the leak was coming from, I tried re-torqueing the IM bolts, but that didn't fix the problem. So... I started taking everything off the manifold to take it off, just to find out my IM gasket had some kind of gouge or heat-warpage that made a small valley where coolant could leak out.

If you look closely, you can see that "valley" I was talking about in the lower left hand of the manifold gasket.

I ran up to O'Reilly's and grabbed a stock IM gasket, and but everything back together. I started it up again, and no leaks! (Until later...)

Then on Friday, I got these in! I ordered them back in July, but apparently they've been on back order forever.

So, before putting the lug nut on, I decided to re-bleed my brakes. They weren't as tight as I thought they should be, especially with the Wilwood's, so I re-bled them, and brakes feel great now! Afterward, I decided to re-bleed my clutch also. After doing so, I noticed a small drip from the banjo fitting going to the CMC. I thought, too easy... I'll just throw a wrench on the end of it and tighten it up a little. NOPE... As soon as I started turning, the bolt stripped the inside of the CMC... So yeah... FML. I ordered another from Majestic yesterday, and hopefully it'll be here before Friday, so I can change it out this weekend.

Here's a couple pics of the bay though. I was wondering what throttle cable you guys recommend. I have the stock JDM ITR one (that wraps all the way around the bay), a USDM ITR one, that is way too short, and the stock Integra LS one, that is also too short. I've heard that the GSR one, with a GSR throttle body bracket works and looks good. Can anyone confirm?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the shipping on my clutch master cylinder, and it said it'll be here by Saturday, so here's a pic from this morning in the mean time.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering what throttle cable you guys recommend. I have the stock JDM ITR one (that wraps all the way around the bay), a USDM ITR one, that is way too short, and the stock Integra LS one, that is also too short. I've heard that the GSR one, with a GSR throttle body bracket works and looks good. Can anyone confirm?
I would use the OEM one personally. That's what I'll be doing at least.

I can not confirm or deny that the GSR with throttle body bracket works however. So maybe that would be another option. My clip is from a SIR-G and I'll be putting a USDM GSR engine in. So maybe I'll have to figure something out too but it should all work out with what came.

Love the progress! Sorry about the misfortune.

-Amp
Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would use the OEM one personally. That's what I'll be doing at least.

I can not confirm or deny that the GSR with throttle body bracket works however. So maybe that would be another option. My clip is from a SIR-G and I'll be putting a USDM GSR engine in. So maybe I'll have to figure something out too but it should all work out with what came.

Love the progress! Sorry about the misfortune.

-Amp
Honestly, I absolutely hate the stock JDM ITR one, because it wraps all the way around the engine bay. I'm going for the cleanest look possible, so that one is out for me.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, I absolutely hate the stock JDM ITR one, because it wraps all the way around the engine bay. I'm going for the cleanest look possible, so that one is out for me.
I feel you. In that case I would say the GSR route will work considering the USDM throttle cable for that wraps over top. The GSR throttle body with bracket should make for a nice short cable to be used.

-Amp

Quick Reply: Scottp11's RHD Turbo DC4 Build