Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Round 3: Aztec Green Pearl EJ2 Coupe -94! OEM Goodies

Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Round 3: Aztec Green Pearl EJ2 Coupe -94! OEM Goodies

Thanks! Yes I have seen them too. Its so strange cause there´s no Heated Mirror option in UK

Heres some random pics about the recent process:

First i tested the Heat button LED. I did the test with 9volt battery. BLK/YEL to positive, BLK to negative and the LED lights up when you press the button. When my install is finished, the LED will also light up (even if the button is not pressed) when the alarm is controlling the rear window defrog and heated mirrors, so you will always see when the automation is running or not

Then some basic job with door open indicator:

My clusters (two clusters not pictured because they are mounted to my 2 other cars):

I assembled the cluster to check out things:

Somehow i dont like that picture that looks like Lada 1500 from the birds view. The picture is replaceable, but i cant find EJ1/EJ2 "dimensions" picture that shows the top of the car Any help?:

I find out a speedo that has km/h and mph and the kilometers are almost exactly what cars km:s are, so i thought that why not?:

Then i did the low fuel light retrofit according to deschlongs DIY (thx again)

Then some fingernail polish:

Fingernail polish left some haziness to the window, so I polished it up with toothpaste (i didnt have any other polishing product so i had to use that :D )

Test with external light:

Then i cleaned up the "Mirror" text and swapped out the worn out folding button:

Then i added the diode to complete the Door Open test circuit behind the cluster:

This is how the cluster pcb looked like normally:

Diode circuit cut out from the broken JDM cluster:

Wrong circuit out:

Right part soldered to the pcb:

Cluster is not ready yet. I still need to order a SiR cluster to get a red/amber lit needles to achieve better look. OFC it would be easier to just swap in ITR or GSR cluster, but i want it to look as OEM as it can, and ITR GSR installs are not that clean.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome progress so far! Hey question would you happen to have the PN for the hood insulator?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn, I'm in love with this build! great work man.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any reason you didnt want to build up the sedan??
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SUP!reme
Awesome progress so far! Hey question would you happen to have the PN for the hood insulator?
Hey!

I will dig up the boxes to see if i have the part number in somewhere!

Originally Posted by BiggieBert
Damn, I'm in love with this build! great work man.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Any reason you didnt want to build up the sedan??
In my opinion its a wrong model. I´ve always liked 5 gen Coupes the most. Thats why i put little more effort to this car. These Coupes are also rare here in Finland.

Updates:

Blue(ish) tinted mirror inserts arrived, also the heat pads and prototype pcb stuff and other different things.

I first thought to buy genuine Spoon Hydro Blue inserts, but there was couple of things why i dont like them. I read that they are (are they?) designed to RHD car, so the other mirror is convex and other is flat? Then some people say that the tape they have is very poor, and they are designed to install on top of the original mirror glass.

Spoon Sports Blue Wide Mirror inserts are a great upgrade to your exterior without spending a lot of money ( :D ). Instead of buying complete mirrors, these inserts go into your factory housing. *NOTE: EK version is only for the JDM folding mirrors. Will not fit USDM mirrors! Hurry! Supplies are limited.

They are also pretty dam pricey (142 euros + shipping), so I ordered same kind of blue tinted mirror glass from UK. The difference is that it cost only 20 euros. I wont get any JDM points from that in shows, but whatever. Both mirrors are convex.

I wasnt able to capture the blue tint any better than this, sorry:

Comparison:

Heat pads installed:

Finished product:

Then we jump to my custom "ICU" for between the alarm and car electronics.

Almost ready:

I still need couple of connectors. When they arrive, i will then coat the pcb and its ready. The green little connector slot is for rear defrog switch. Because i dont have space for rear defrog switch the system must be automatic. I designed that rear defrog part of the custom ICU so it accepts the rear defrog switch harness without any modifications. So if you some day want to put the switch back, just unplug the harness from the custom ICU and plug it back to the switch

Then we jump to the clusters. There were _many_ differences between JDM SiR and EDM/CDM/USDM cluster parts, so this wasnt so easy job to do that i first thought it would be:

SiR (black) EDM DXi/LSi/ESi (white) cluster bezel; notice that the clear plastic rings are missing and there is a difference in the gauge "lip" height (black bezel has a smaller lip):

Then to some modifications that i needed to make to get the needles lit up with OEM style: Every EDM/USDM/CDM gauge had to be disassembled completely to remove the gauge faces. Then the speedo and tachometer faces center hole had to be drilled bigger, so it would accept the JDM SiR clusters clear plastics, that controls the light to the needles etc. The hole diameters for the speedo and tacho is 11mm. For the temp and fuel face its 9mm. You also need to drill couple of additional holes to edges of the gauge faces, because otherwise the black faces wont center correctly to JDM SiR clear plastics. The additional holes are visible in the next pic. Holes are between the 100km/h and 110km/h mark and between 220kmh/ and 230km/h mark. White SiR and black VTi clusters have these clear plastics inside them. Other model clusters dont have them in speedo or tacho, only behind the temp and fuel face (and they are different type than SiR or VTi).

This pic shows the "JDM" clear plastic back:

Then i needed to lower 2 screw locations from the CDM speedo, because VTi/SiR gauges sit couple of mm:s higher than "normal" gauges. The reason for this is the clear plastics between the faces and gauges.

(I already snapped the parts before i took the pic, sorry!)

Before filing them even:

Quick test:

Comparison:

Tachometer clear plastic:

(In this picture you can also see the nylon washers that i needed to make. Otherwise the gauge face would have been dented when tightening the face screws. The reason for this is that these "normal" cluster faces have screws on front of them and JDM faces have screws between the face and clear plastics:

There was also differences between SiR and normal clusters door open indicator. SiR door open indicator housing is taller:

There was also differences in fuel and temp clear plastics:

I also needed to assembly the gauges to the SiR cluster frame, because the gauges with clear plastics wont fit correctly to the "normal" cluster frame.

Then some quick tests with old bulbs. Also the needles are not pressed all the way in, because i needed to calibrate them. Also the screws are not tightened and the front cover has some scratches so it looks like the light leaks somewhere (it really doesnt):

In my opinion it looks good enough. I cant do better cluster than this from OEM EG parts. ofc the amber or red leds will give some look to it, and front plastic needs to be buffed etc.

Comparison pics.

This is same looking (not the exact same) cluster than where i started:

This is how it looks now (still with old bulbs):

The best part of the donor SiR cluster is that it came with the low fuel light compatible fuel sender

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by HiTec; 01-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man, that looks great! Alot of work put into that gauge cluster!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

excellent work and documentation. Im trying to get on your level
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

great build! may I ask where you got your stainless door sills? I've been looking for a set for my sedan forever
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Wow, I can see we are very much alike with our attention to detail. For example, not many other people would take the time to source the original OEM wire colours for each feature being added. I honestly thought I might be the only person to do this.
Are you guys able to find it in bulk somewhere? I'm assuming its salvaged from other wire harnesses.
That is such great attention to detail though. Definitely a sign of a quality resto-mod build!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeah that would be Awesome. I think I can find them in a jdm parts catalog I got recently. Ill try to look it up and report back. But the time and effort you're putting into this car is amazing. I'm hooked hahah
Old 01-27-2014, 01:41 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

HiTec, thanks for detailing how you merged all those clusters together. I've got a bunch of the same parts to do that mod myself but after studying how different the clusters were, I elected to put it off as a low priority. Plus I don't really have anything against the white lighting in my dash, but I am sure I can be tempted now to switch over, as long as I would be happy with also changing the lighting in my dash switches, clock, and climate control over to an amber with satisfactory illumination.

As for the wiring, it is all pillaged from wrecked cars at various points. Goes into a big pile in a bin and then I take what I need from it.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the part number is 74141-SR3-000. #11
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Supreme, could you give me the part number for the EG9 black front left door step sill? I'd be very thankful :-)
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again for all those nice comments, i really appreciate them much!

Originally Posted by an2ny888
great build! may I ask where you got your stainless door sills? I've been looking for a set for my sedan forever
I got my set from Malaysia via ebay I think the Sedan ones are even rarer than 2/3D:s. If you have facebook, your best bet is to contact "Kaheru Honda". Khairul is a great person and reliable JDM parts dealer in Malaysia. I have dealt with Khairul many times and i have nothing bad to say.

Originally Posted by phenom3030
Are you guys able to find it in bulk somewhere? I'm assuming its salvaged from other wire harnesses.
That is such great attention to detail though. Definitely a sign of a quality resto-mod build!
Thanks! I have tried to find it in bulks, but its not possible. Only big companys can get color coded wires. Like deschlong said, wreckyards are great source for color coded wire. It gives great detail to work to use OEM wire colours and it helps in problem solving if you do all connections with OEM schematics.

Originally Posted by deschlong
HiTec, thanks for detailing how you merged all those clusters together. I've got a bunch of the same parts to do that mod myself but after studying how different the clusters were, I elected to put it off as a low priority. Plus I don't really have anything against the white lighting in my dash, but I am sure I can be tempted now to switch over, as long as I would be happy with also changing the lighting in my dash switches, clock, and climate control over to an amber with satisfactory illumination.

As for the wiring, it is all pillaged from wrecked cars at various points. Goes into a big pile in a bin and then I take what I need from it.
Not a problem at all, hit me with pm if you need any additional information about. I really like this new cluster, the red lit needles spice up the cluster nicely!

Originally Posted by SUP!reme
I think the part number is 74141-SR3-000. #11
Sorry for taking me so long checking it out, but yes that indeed is the same part number that my insulator has. Fitment 92-00 Civics

Update coming in 2-3 days about installing DEI530T / DEI535T with correct way, so the open/close works with one touch and also tilt works like Honda meant it to work Im little slow on translating, sorry about that, but heres a schematics!

Original:

Modified:

Quick video (VENT/TILT not connected yet!):

http://hitecmods.kuvat.fi/kuvat/EJ2+...126_183630.mp4
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam u take that cluster a part
Old 06-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Havent updated this for a while, so here´s something!

I added door open indicator harness to the cars main harness using deschlongs great DIY:

Then i made a little adapter to dome light harness, cause it would be pita to de-pin it because of its location.

This is the harness thats goes to my Custom ICU. It delivers control signals from alarm to custom icu and to custom icu to the cars main harness. I wanted to keep the cars main harness as much OEM as possible, so thats why i fabricated a custom icu to keep things tidy:

RED/GRN - +12V (Always ON, 10A Fuse)
RED/WHT - Trunk Release signal from alarm
RED/WHT - Trunk Release +12V power to actuator
WHT/BLK - Power Folding signal from alarm
BLU/YEL - Power Folding signal to OEM Power Folding relay
BLU/WHT - Rear Defrog/Heated Mirrors signal from alarm
BLU - Heated Mirrors +12V to OEM Heated Mirror relay
BLK/YEL - Dome light control from alarm
BLK/YEL - Alarm dome light output to dome light
BLK - GND

Small green 5-pin connector in custom icu is for a plug and play support for the rear defroster harness/connector. I just plug the rear defroster harness to custom icu and it automaticly controls the rear defroster in low temperatures. The dip switch pack is for selecting if i want the heated mirrors switch to also toggle rear defrost in same time. Right now the feature is switched off. I can also disable/enable the hard-wired power folding mirror control, but this feature is pretty useless cause i can easily disable it on my alarms settings.

This is where i installed the custom icu:

Then i bought TCS switch for my future projects:

It was in bad shape, so i removed the laquer:

And polished the logo:

First powdercoated parts!:

Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before installing the dash, i needed to install the sun light sensor for auto climate control:

Same time i also made "new" pollen filter using OEM bezel and Toyota RAV4 pollen filter element. This is just a temporary solution, cause im trying to find 1gen CR-V heater duct/AC evap for my AC retrofit.

Interior:

There is small scratches and other imperfections in some parts, so i would love to find some mint replacements.

Heres a small clip from power folding heated mirrors and sunroof automation/one touch open/close by DEI 530T

http://hitecmods.kuvat.fi/kuvat/EJ2+...320_141311.mp4
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Next project. Modifying the back lit needles for evening and bright light!

This is where we start:

So, i needed to modify the clear plastics behind the gauge faces, so they would accept 5050 series red leds, without interfering anything:

Next step was to isolate leds using hot glue and alu-tape:

As you can see, pretty good result! And the light wont leak other parts of the cluster, so if i want the gauge faces to lit up different color, it would work nicely. The center of the needle has some light leaking, cause it isnt installed all the way cause it needs calibration.

For the last fine tuning, i used black electrical tape and heres the results:

Then i ordered a replacement dashboard bezel to replace my old one which had a hole for OEM security system immobilizer thingy.

I also bought mint set of Civic OEM EDM all weather rubber floor mats:

Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Continues: I cleaned up the rear lid(?)

Heres pic where left side is vacuumed:

And heres the lid after 3 whole passes:

As you can see, i needed to made cuts for OEM Acoustic Research speaker grilles. I was lucky that previous owners "aftermarket cuts" where inside the OEM tracings

Then i fixed these:

And cleaned up this with toothbrush and some dishwashing detergent:

I also changed the fuel filter to the new OEM one:

Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Next thing: Refurbishing the pedals/assemblys:

Before:

After:

Test fitted the rear bench:

Then i made the bracket for the ITR ABS fuse box. I wanted it to look clean and OEM, so i installed it right next to the under hood fusebox:

The battery doesnt fit to its OEM location without modifying the battery tray. So i thought to modify my rusty tray first:

Testing:

Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Random pic taken from brand new OEM parking pole:

I also test fitted my Polyurethane WW RS style front lip. I just layed it on the bumper, its not screwed on yet:

Rad looks pretty beaten up:

So i ordered Mishimoto half rad, shroud kit and slim fan. They are still on their way, so not pics yet.

Next I hopped back to the cluster project:

Looks pretty good? Needs a dimmer though

Then i changed some bulb sockets and did some other misc stuff.

Passenger side wire tuck looking little better:

Then it was time to fabricate ITR ABS hydraulic block bracket. I used ITR bracket and modifyed it a little to fit to EG. Heres where we start:

Drilling the spot welds:

Modding: I didnt weld on the rust. And trust me, this is just prototyping. Every rusty part you see will be sand/soda blasted and then powdercoated. I just need to make things ready so i can test fit them, and when everything sits nicely, then its time to make them clean

And there it goes:

Old 06-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapped my replica Brides to mint EK9 Recaros, cause i want to keep rear seats:

View from drivers seat:

I still need to fine tune heater lighting, but it looks pretty good already.

New OEM blinker relay:

New OEM hood lock mechanism (thanks to ebay: lec_motorsports!):

New OEM key blank:

And new H4 connectors. They are not AMP ones cause i couldnt find any, but these are best quality aftermarkets that i found.

I also bought 8-20V DC -> 5V/3A (USB) DC brick, which feeds my Nexus 7 (2013) "head unit". I made OEM connectors to it, so its plug and play to cars cigarette lighter connector

I also bought Timur´s kernel to the tablet.

HU home screen:

For the music player, i chose to buy poweramp:

For the DAC, i chose Behringer UCA-202. It was cheap, good sounding and confirmed to work with N7. It will get the sound from my tablet to Audison BitOne via Optical cable.

I also bought mint set of Acoustic Research rear speaker covers and tweeters. I dont really need the tweeters cause i already have Gathers ones that look better. I just need to change the acoustic fabrics to the rear speaker covers and they are as mint as they can get!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then i bought S2000 OEM clutch master cylinder to replace my leaky one. And BLOX CMC spacer.

In same time, i also cleaned the clutch pedal + assembly like i already did to my gas/brake pedal + assembly.

Comparison:

I read that you need to buy a custom clutch line when fitting S2000 cmc to EG. I dont understand why? I just modified the existing line from this:

...to this:

...And it worked like a charm:

This is the very latest progress (24.6.2014). Im trying to update this more frequently...
Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Small update!

Some of the cooling parts arrived yesterday!

I added original connector to the Mishimoto slim fan:

Additional cover for the wire mesh part that goes over edge of the metal:

Drivers side wire tuck:

Some basic testing after wire tuck. Everything still works! Highs, lows, parking lights, USDM corners, power adjustment...:

I also bought better looking TCS switch that replaces my sunburn switch:

As for the switches, i needed to hunt down many different switches before i got all in exact same color code. As you might know, the newer EG:s have darker colored switches than earlier EG:s.

I have also a package coming from a Malaysian friend: EG OEM TCS Steering Position Sensor, Honda OEM flare case + flare holder/clip, brand new OEM Stanley fog lights and other small stuff:

Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

^ Oh cool, are you going to be the first person to retrofit OEM TCS? But ... (Gasp!) ... where will your headlight washer switch go??!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Round 3: Aztec Green Pearl EJ2 Coupe -94! OEM Goodies