Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

prjct92eh2's 92 Civic CX Hatch Weekend Warrior Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: prjct92eh2's 92 Civic CX Hatch Weekend Warrior Build

They're here!

hope to get tires around the end of February. There isn't a whole lot of choices in 225/45 right now besides the Nitto NT01. Not that I wouldn't mind the NT01, but there is rumors of others coming out on that size, so i'm waiting just in case there are more options.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Awesome Build dude!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiggieBert
Awesome Build dude!
Thanks!

Time for Updates!

I picked up the passenger side PCI Seat Bracket to match the driver side. Got it installed this weekend:

Here it is ready to swap

Mini me approves!

Also got tires mounted! went with the Nitto NT01 in 225/45/15

Width comparison of the 205 Azenis and 225 NT01

Old vs. new

So i got the right side on the see how much fender work was needed.

Down the side view from the front

Front from the top

Rear down the side

Rear from above

Needless to say I didn't drive it like this and made an appointment with a reputable local guy that does fender rolling.

Also started piecing together and oil cooler setup. So far i've only gotten the core and fitting for it. Went with a Earl's 19 row (13"X5.875").

The plan is to get the Mocal sandwich plate with built in thermostat and -10 AN push lock fittings and lines. In black of course.

Last night I got the fenders rolled and the new wheels and tires are on! For now all I have are crappy gas station pictures. Will get better ones next time it's out in the daylight.

I LOVE it! Just on the drive home last night I can immediately notice the increased grip during 1st gear accelerating. Now that it's getting warmer I can't wait to get to the track and put them to use! Seriously pumped.

In somewhat related news, we got the wife a new car. Her IS250 was a pita trying to get to my son's new convertible car seat since it stays in the car and you have to dig him out. I took the opportunity to make sure I got something I can enjoy too: Explorer Sport. Black er'y thang.

I wanted to make sure we got something that could tow the hatch, so this fits the bill nicely with the 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost and tow package. Not going to lie, it's pretty damn quick! Might have to take it to the drag strip
Old 07-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put everything to use this past Thursday at the Track Night in America event at High Plains Raceway. Here is some video:
Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice driving sir and the car looks very aggressive with the rpf1s.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man!

I put a couple more videos up with more data added from the ECU data logs.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Time for some updates.

I pulled the header off to get a small crack on the #3 cylinder at the head flange welded up. While it was off, I put on some heat wrap to keep heat off the oil pan.

I also took the injectors out and sent them off to RC Engineering to get cleaned. I figured it wouldn't hurt since I bought them used. This is the report back from them. Looks like money well spent.

I've also purchased an Innovate Motorsports oil pressure/temperature combo gauge. I went to install the pressure sender the other night. First thing i noticed when i took off my Golden Eagle sandwich plate:

Guess that is where my slow leak from the filter area is coming from! I'm guessing this happened because sometimes when I removed the oil filter the sandwich plate would also spin. I had already ordered new O-rings, so when i put it back on I need to put on my big boy underwear and tighten it down to the ~50 ft.lbs. the oem heat exchanger calls for so that it doesn't move when taking off the oil filter.

As for the sender installation, that was a fail:

I was hoping to not remote mount it, but I guess I don't have a choice!

That's all for now. More updates once I get her back on the road. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Master Ninja

Amazing great job
Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to see you are still enjoying the build!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys!

Got her back on the road late Tuesday night.

Here is the weld on the #3 runner of the header

Here is the remote mount for the oil pressure sender. I ended up using a grease gun line fitting. Apparently they are 1/8" NPT on both ends and can take plenty of pressure. Couldn't think of a reason it wouldn't work and it was only $10!

I didn't get a final picture installed, but right now it's just held with a couple zip ties to my block breather line. I need a find a rubber coated P clamp big enough to go around the sender to more securely mount it.

The temperature sender was a much more straightforward affair. I picked up a 1/8" NPT to 14M adapter.

Here it is installed

And here is a crappy picture of everything in place.

I took it for a quick spin and overall i'm very happy with the install. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the single DIN plate is angled towards the driver, which helps visibility. I will probably either swap the two gauges or shift both of them to the right because my right arm does block the very left gauge some when driving. I've also registered for the July Track Night in America at High Plains, so it will be good to see the oil temperature readings while on track.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seen the pics of just after wheel install on Google when I was trying to decide on wheels for my Si, now I found the source! lol. I ended up going with the silver x8 RPF1's
Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by prjct92eh2
I took it for a quick spin and overall i'm very happy with the install. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the single DIN plate is angled towards the driver, which helps visibility. I will probably either swap the two gauges or shift both of them to the right because my right arm does block the very left gauge some when driving. I've also registered for the July Track Night in America at High Plains, so it will be good to see the oil temperature readings while on track.
Ever thought about using Tunerview large screen?

Or even a RD1?

(will take pics down @ owners request)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Master Ninja

Damn that's nice
Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by American.Graffiti
Ever thought about using Tunerview large screen?
Or even a RD1?
I remember looking at them a while ago, but I don't remember why I didn't go with it. it certainly would have been nice to get a 0-5v sender for oil and temperature so i could log the data on the Demon.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam man, I just read through your entire thread and I'm very impressed. I love the work you put into it and it looks like your having a blast on the track! Looks like that b20 is holding up well!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man! I'm registered for the July 20th Track Night in America, so hopefully i'll get some more videos up.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I read this from the beginning as well and I just re-located to Charlotte, then you MOVED!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for reading! Yup, been out here almost 5 years now. Can't say I miss the south much
Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just moved down from New Jersey so I'm enjoying the hospitality and the shorter winters
Old 07-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member formally known as TomsEF

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

looking good!
Old 08-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MyspaceTOM
looking good!
Thanks!

I had a blast at the July 20th Track Night in America at High Plains. They had ~40 cars turn out! The car did really well for the most part. Here is one video. There is more on my YouTube channel

Some items of concern:

1) Oil temperature. As you can see in the video, my oil temperature gauge was pegged out and flashing the warning. It got to this point on about the second lap in all 3 sessions. This means the probe was reading 280+ F. So now the question would be, is this data valid? Well....maybe My adapter in the oil pan certainly isn't ideal since it doesn't leave a lot of the probe exposed. I emailed Innovate Motorsports and they said this indeed could throw the readings off. So i'm going to try and find a more shallow adapter and see how that goes. The good news is I didn't have any oil loss this time out. Whether it was the thicker 5W-40 Rotella T6 or the fixed sandwich plate O-ring i'm not sure, but I'm glad that is over with.

2) At the end of the second and third sessions my car had some clunking coming from the front end somewhere while turning in the parking lot area. It went away after cooling off before the next session started, which is rather curious. I'm really hoping it's just the CV joints on the axles, so i'm going to check tranny fluid level and get news axles. Really hoping it's not my LSD taking a ****.

3) Brakes were spongy when lightly pressing them. I flushed the brake fluid before the event, so either I did a shitty job or my master cylinder is starting to crap out. I'll flush them again and see if they improve. I also think I need something more aggressive than the HP+ pads. I'll try and get some Hawk DTC 60 for the front over the winter.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, sweet car and thread, took me a while to read through this and I am in awe of you. From all the heartbreak crap you had to go through and tuning the car I applaud you. Loving the wire tuck and overall work you put into this car
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I have been horrible about updating this thread! Let's see here. I started the car up after winter and after washing it went to pull out of the driveway and noticed a curiously large puddle under it. Popped the hood and found coolant coming from the heater core area After grabbing a flashlight and investigating via feeling around, the coolant was actually coming out from my wire harness, which is routed under the heater core connection at the firewall. Which means the leak was from inside the car

This means pulling the dash and replacing the heater core. This was very discouraging because between life, kids, finishing my basement, etc. one thing I do not have is a lot of spare time. I debated just looping the lines, but ultimately decided it would be best to retain heat. So the car sat and I finally started working on it the beginning of July. This was my first time pulling the dash, and I went into the repair a little intimidated by the prospect. In the end, the dash really wasn't bad. You leave the gauge cluster and all that stuff in, so its just a matter of removing the plastics below it, disconnecting wire connectors and removing 6 bolts. If it wasn't for my alarm, aftermarket gauges and fuse box in the glove box it would have been easy.

Here we are with the fuse box removed from the glove box and all the lower plastics removed

Took the gauges out. This wiring is on my re-do list wile the dash is out.

Dash out

And now the HVAC unit out

I think i mentioned it in here before, but when we moved into our new house a couple years ago we had a couple mice in the garage. They lived in this cars HVAC system and made a fine mess with shredded fiber insulation

Heater core out

Discovering the replacement heater core is the wrong size. The Rock Auto listing OEM part # didn't match Honda's.

So while waiting for the correct heater core to come in, here is my to-do list:
  1. Remove SRS harness
  2. Remove door speakers
  3. Re-locate alarm
  4. Re-wire gauges
Already took care of the SRS harness. The firewall sensors were a PITA with the firewall padding/insulation still in.

One other thing i got this year is a new battery. My original PC680 was 5 years old and finally stopped working, even with being on a maintainer.

I also ordered the fittings for my oil cooler setup, but no pictures of those.