Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

deschlong's restoration of a '93 Si Hatch - lots of OEM goodness

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default deschlong's restoration of a '93 Si Hatch - lots of OEM goodness

All right, I'm going to try to do this. Not the best at taking pics so I figure if I make this thread it will force my hand a bit as people request updates.

Back story: Vehicle was a salvage purchase in Nov 2011. Paid about $600CAD. Always wanted a 5G Hatchback with a sunroof. (The timing was good because I had just moved provinces and my vehicle at the time (a VX) would have required considerable work to certify it in the new jurisdiction.) The write-off damage on the Si was due to a dented front front fender and broken corner lamp. It also had a dented p/s door from a previous incident. Vehicle history is unknown, aside from the fact that the PO clearly went to McDonald's a lot based on the trash that was in the car when I picked it up.

Here are couple of photos from the original auction sale:

It was originally a USDM vehicle, and I *believe* it was imported to Canada in 2002, based on the inspection sticker on the car's door jamb.

I tinkered on a few things on the car but it basically sat until Spring 2012 when I had time to put towards getting it road-worthy again. It required some fairly minor maintenance bits to re-certify and get back on the road (front shocks, rear brakes, windshield, windshield wipers, etc.), but DID require some rust repair on the rear quarter panels which I had professionally done. No paint though because the whole car needs a coat. You know how it is.

Here's how it looked in Summer/Fall of 2012. Nothing too special but at least safetied and road worthy.

You can see it's riding high in the front - that's due to a couple of Integra shocks I put in there just as a stop-gap until such time as all four corners are redone. The rims are basically the OEM JDM 1995-only 5G Civic 14" Honda Access Optional "Modulo" "Mesh" Aluminium Rims, wrapped in Nokian 'WR G2' P185/65/R14 All-Weather Tires. (Rims are also available locally in Canada ... with a little research you can figure out where. )

From the catalogue:

One of the things I tinkered with before I had the car re-certified was to do a complete OEM retrofit of Daytime Running Lights (DRLs). DRLs are a requirement on Canadian roads and since it was a USDM car originally, it did not come with this feature. There was a weak attempt at an aftermarket retrofit, no doubt completed when the car was first imported, but it had wiring strung all over the engine bay and had fail written all over it. While I did this, since I was down in the footwell already, I installed and wired in a 1998 CR-V ICU, which has features for the combined wiper/washer function (again, something that the USDM cars didn't have), headlights-on warning buzzer, as well as REAR intermittent wiper functionality. This is a new twist on an old DIY of mine, since I discovered that CR-V ICUs mate with 5G Civic fuseboxes so I could use this function that was integrated into the ICU after the 1997 CR-V model year. The car is basically completely converted to CDM-spec now, naturally with a Km/h speedo and odometer changed to match the equivalent US mileage. I won't eliminate is the ELD though (CDM didn't get this).

DRL Components:

98-01 CR-V ICU:

At some point in the summer I managed to do a power windows / power folding heated mirrors / JDM/EDM switchless power locks retrofit. I have a donor JDM EG6 SiR-S so most of the parts for this came from her. I put a new twist on this old favourite mod: power locks that operate from the outside key cylinder lock of both driver's AND passenger's side. This is a tricky mod that also requires parts from an Acura Integra as well as the parts from the JDM Infra-Red locks which came on the SiR-S (as well as a few other select JDM 5G Civics, or could be added as an Optional Accessory). Note that I did not install the IR locks. This is a pointless exercise since the receiver would be on the PASSENGER side, making its usefulness exceedingly inconvenient. Bye-bye rare feature! You have been sacrificed to the power locks Gods.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's the handle with IR receiver:

And on the inside:

Donor EG6. Poor thing has really seen better days.

I don't have many interesting photos of the power features install. I have more but they deal with technical issues regarding the install, meant eventually for a DIY write-up. But, here is the harness that I built:

And since this is the third time I've done this retrofit, I've learned a couple of things. One is, tie a rope to the door connector to pull it up through its hole in the frame:

Two is, run the wiring harness along the glove box frame. This is how Honda does it on the 4G Civic Optional power windows install (a CDM Option) as well as how Honda runs the wiring on the OEM Honda Access JDM 5G Civic Heated Mirror wiring. So, it's really the ideal spot.

Guess I could take some shots of the finished product. Oh yeah, the SiR-S has all its bronze glass intact and I currently have the bronze windshield installed on the Si. This I did when I replaced the cracked one for the safety re-cert.

Fast forward a bit to winter, now. I don't run the All-Weathers in winter, so when it hit, it was time to switch these out. I imported some OEM JDM 5G Civic 14" Honda Access Optional Si/EX-style Aluminium Rims, and had them professionally refinished. These are wrapped in Nokian 'Hakkapeliitta R' P185/65/R14 Winter Tires. These are the top-of-line studless winter tire - I don't screw around with winter tires - I prefer to get the best.

Refinished and tires mounted:

From the JDM Catalogue:

And installed:

I put some McGard's on there for good measure. Let me tell you that they didn't stay that nice and clean for very long.

Over the Christmas break things got really busy on the retrofit front since I had some down time. All of these basically happened at the same time because I find it easier to do it all when the interior is all pulled apart and then it's done all in one go.

First off, I like toasty buns during our cold Canadian winters so in went the heated seats. I put in a low-fuel indicator in the cluster and fuel meter with sensor in the tank. I retrofit a "poor-man's rear fog light" into the tail gate. I installed the JDM tachometer with the door-open indicators. I wired in the EDM gauge cluster hazard light indicator. I pre-wired the switch for headlight washers and for the CDM/USDM fog lights. New head unit. Also, how could I forget, I installed some security (and I'll say no more about that). Since I needed access into the headliner for this, I also took that time to install the JDM Gathers Centre Roof Tweeters.

You know, these things:

If you look closely you can see that I had to fashion a bracket in there to mount the map light properly, since mine didn't have one. This wound up being pretty easy but you gotta tape up those sharp edges!

EDIT Jan/2014: I have now attached a file with blueprints for this bracket that I designed last year. Who knows, it might make someone else's life easier some day.
EDIT Oct/2018: Blueprints updated to include Non-Sunroof bracket.

Incidentally, something I find amazing is that even though no North American Civic got anything like roof-mounted tweeters, under the A-pillar trim cover ... look there, the clips to run the OEM JDM Gathers roof tweeters harness. Thanks, Honda! OEM harness is the black thing wrapped in tape. The blue wire tap is for the map light, spliced off the dome light wire.

Anyway, to keep things nice and tidy, I built a dash harness. All the correct wiring colours of course, as well as correct lengths (measured against an existing dash harness):

As for under the hood, "what are your plans"? I hear you asking. Well, I happen to like the D-series. The D16Z6 motor is good on the car; transmission is smooth. This is a daily driver so I want something practical for every day - I am not trying to beat any land-speed records here. Ironically, B-series swaps are cheap in my corner of the world, but I'm really not interested unless it's some incredible deal. Which there are, it seems: B16 del Sols going for $700 on salvage auction. JDM RHD B16 Sol the following week went for maybe $1200 if memory serves. GSR Integras for about that too. Anyway, we'll see but don't hold your breath. The people who 'know' me on this board know that I like to keep things OEM and original, so it might be a tough sell.

Anyway, naturally I've done a full tune-up including NGK plugs, OEM Sumitomo wires, OEM TEC diz cap, OEM rotor, MANN fuel filter, OEM air filter. Also cleaned out the IACV. Will do a valve clearance check. Needs a new o-ring at the VTEC solenoid. Given the car's unknown history, it requires a new timing belt and pump.

Biggest change to happen in the near future is new suspension. I've got a whole bunch of goodies waiting for me at the closest US border town, just waiting for me to pick them up. I'll be down there next weekend. Among the items is a set of Tokico RAK502-I. My right rear shock gave out on me so it was time I took the plunge.

They are coilovers that are fully height adjustable and 5-way damper adjustable or whatever the marketing lingo is. Since this is a daily driver, I want near stock suspension feel as well as height. The height aspect is important in winter when I have to clear serious snow. But, it allows me to also get a little lower if I want during the summer and/or pothole-free months.

Also: PAINT! I've arranged to do this in late April. Need to solidify plans, however.

I've got lots of other little OEM goodies to add to the car but I can't give it all away in one post. Subscribe and keep an eye out!

Last edited by deschlong; 09-21-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:22 AM

Default Re: deschlong's restoration of a '93 Si Hatch - lots of OEM goodness

Here is a list of Interior / Exterior modifications. I'll do my best to keep this list up-to-date.

Already installed or in use, in the order they were performed:
Current to July, 2017

OEM Honda Optional/Access Mud/Splash Guards (on when purchased),
OEM Honda Optional/Access Air Conditioning (R12) (in when purchased - intend to retrofit this to R12a)
OEM JDM Hard-Top Arm Rest (black) (deprecated due to JDM Long Armrest),
OEM CDM/USDM Honda Access Optional Leather Steering Wheel Wrap,
OEM CDM Gauge Cluster,
OEM CDM Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs),
OEM 1G CR-V / EDM 6th Gen (98-00) Civic Rear Intermittent Wiper Retrofit,
OEM EDM Lights-on Chime (integrated into ICU),
OEM CDM Honda Access Optional Floor Mats,
OEM EDM LHD Honda Access Optional Wide-Ribbed Floor Mats,
OEM EDM LHD Honda Access Optional Rubber Floor Mats,
OEM JDM Complete Bronze Windows: Windscreen / Door / Quarter / Hatch Glass,
OEM VX/VEi/ETi Rear Bumper Air Dam / Deflector,
OEM EDM/JDM Switchless Power Door Locks with additional full passenger control,
OEM EDM Power Windows,
OEM CDM/USDM VX Corrugated Plastic Trunk/Spare Tire Cover (deprecated due to JDM interior),
OEM EDM Honda Access Optional Hatchback Trunk Tray (deprecated due to JDM interior),
OEM JDM Power Folding Mirrors,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Heated Mirrors,
OEM CDM/USDM LHD Honda Optional/Access Lower Centre Audio Console,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Lower Centre Audio Console Pocket w/ Bronze Door,
JDM 1-DIN Optional Cup Holder & Tray,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Leather-wrapped Shift **** & Boot,
OEM EDM P/S "Walk-in" Rear Seating Access,
OEM EDM Driver & Passenger Heated Seats w/ Acura CL 3.0 2-in-1 Dual Switch and Aftermarket Elements,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional "Gathers" Centre Overhead Tweeters,
OEM JDM Front Map Light,
OEM JDM/EDM Low Fuel Meter & Indicator Light,
OEM EDM Rear Window Defogger Switch,
OEM EDM Rear Fog Switch & Rear Fog Light (retrofit),
OEM EDM Gauge Cluster Hazard Lights Indicator,
OEM JDM In-Tachometer "Door Open" Indicator,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional 1-Piece Rear LED Brake Light 3dr Spoiler,
OEM CDM/JDM Honda Optional/Access Ski Rack,
JDM Rubber Tire Chains,
OEM CDM Honda Optional/Access Genuine Wheel Locks,
OEM JDM/EDM Honda Access Sunroof Wind Deflector / Visor with Flap,
OEM EDM ESi Rear LCAs,
SilBlade Silicone Windshield Wipers,
OEM EDM Front Seat Brackets,
OEM EDM Sidemarkers,
OEM EDM LHD (E-code) Power-Adjustable Headlamps (Not currently wired up though),
OEM JDM/EDM Clear Front Corner Lamps,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Complete Bumper/Parking Pole and Wiring Harness,
OEM UKDM Honda Access Optional Coupe/Hatchback Headlamp Protectors / Covers,
OEM CDM/USDM Honda Access Optional Front Fog Light Switch & Wiring Harness and Front Fog Lamps,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Air Refiner / Cleaner,
OEM JDM Trunk Box Rear Interior (Black),
OEM JDM Rear Dual-Speakers for Trunk Box Interior,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Trunk Box Cargo Net,
OEM JDM Trunk Liner Non-Slip Mat,
OEM JDM Honda "Gathers" Speakers (2x Front, 4x Rear),
OEM EDM Honda Access Optional Dual-Tip Muffler,
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional SiR-S Long Armrest,
OEM JDM 1995-Only Gathers Sub-woofer,
JDM D-Series Helical LSD (40mm),
OEM EDM/NZDM "Long-style" Rear Mudflaps (replaced short ones),
OEM JDM EG6 Stainless Steel Silver Roof Mouldings,
OEM JDM EG6 15mm Rear Sway Bar,
OEM JDM SiR/EDM VTi "Performance Rod" Front Subframe Brace,
OEM JDM SiR/EDM VTi Front Strut Tower Bar,
OEM JDM/EDM Headlamp Washers,
OEM Front Lip,
OEM JDM/EDM "High" Horn (in addition to CDM/USDM "Low" Horn),
OEM EDM "Auto-Up" Power Windows.

Planned:
OEM EDM 6th Gen Civic Cabin Air Filter retrofit,
OEM EDM Wind/Rain Door Visors/Guards,
OEM JDM Honda Access Hatchback/Coupe Optional Stainless Steel Door Sills,
OEM Honda D-series "1.6 VTEC" Valve Cover,
OEM CDM/USDM Honda Optional/Access Half-Nose Mask/Bra,
OEM JDM "AUTO" Climate Control Retrofit,
OEM JDM/EDM Bumper/Corner Protectors,
OEM CDM Honda Optional/Access Gold Emblems
OEM JDM Honda Access Optional Door Tweeters,
OEM JDM Coloured Thin Side Mouldings in "TSENSILVER" (Sensitive Silver),
OEM EDM Integra Pedal Covers.

Last edited by deschlong; 07-31-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Updated July/2017
Old 03-30-2013, 12:23 AM

Reserved #2.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

This looks to be a rather exciting project, bud. Keep up the good work.

PS. If you're struggling to think of a color for when this whole project nears completion, how about Rallye Red (R-513)?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love threads like this. Cant wait to see the finish product, no doubt there will multiple rare items on the car.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by toyomatt84
This looks to be a rather exciting project, bud. Keep up the good work.
Thanks!

PS. If you're struggling to think of a color for when this whole project nears completion, how about Rallye Red (R-513)?
I guess there was never any question on my part what colour to paint it: Milano Red. Boring? Perhaps. But, this is in keeping with the restoration aspect ... want to bring it back to factory new.

Originally Posted by HatchVX
I love threads like this. Cant wait to see the finish product, no doubt there will multiple rare items on the car.
Plenty of goodies to come, yet!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
I guess there was never any question on my part what colour to paint it: Milano Red. Boring? Perhaps. But, this is in keeping with the restoration aspect ... want to bring it back to factory new.
I figured as much. But, I'm a bit biased towards RR.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM

Updated post #2 with an exhaustive list of current and planned interior & exterior modifications.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Lookin' good Now why doesn't mine look like that!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Lookin' good Now why doesn't mine look like that!
Ha. You put in a season or two in Ft Mac and you'll be rolling in it. Just don't blow your salary on ... blow. And women.

Originally Posted by canadaek
subscribed
Schweet. Another Canuckistani!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by deschlong
Ha. You put in a season or two in Ft Mac and you'll be rolling in it. Just don't blow your salary on ... blow. And women.
I've been thinking very strongly about it. The plan is to go out this fall, I'm thinking maybe grande prarie though.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice! always wanted to do this when i had an si!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

oem luv...
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

^ Yah.

Updated OP with pics from original auction purchase.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Seagull Management

Even before it was fixed the rust looks much more manageable than mine.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Body guy was actually surprised there wasn't more rot than there was - always a pleasant surprise. It was really just along the rear quarter wheel wells. If I was ambitious and had more time I might have done it myself, but it would have been quite the learning curve (for me) plus I needed the thing back on the road since I was running out of time that I could legitimately drive the VX.

I bought my patch panels from Mill Supply, Inc., who have an online presence on eBay. They ship to Canada with USPS so NO brokerage fees and their price is really good, and the quality of the panels is excellent. If you're in the market, I HIGHLY recommend.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Seagull Management

The patch panels are about $120 locally and come from Pro Body. I already bought and installed the passenger's side panel a few years ago. I might try to fix the driver's side this summer and paint it all one color.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Yeah, locally I got quoted about $120 PER SIDE for the panels. Got BOTH SIDES - incl. shipping - for less than the price of one side locally. How can that even be possible? Unless the local prices are ridiculously inflated. Sorry, I'm not buyin'.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Seagull Management

Yeah same here, $120 per side. I didn't realize how cheap the shipping was or I would have gone that route.

I think a lot of it has to do with tariffs. Prices on almost everything automotive are severely out of wack.

Btw, I thought the previous hatch was a CX with VX swap?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM

^ It was. I just call it a VX because for all intents and purposes that's what it is now as it underwent a full conversion. Well, everything but the clutch switch for the shift up indicator which needed a custom bracket (as it also has cruise control) that I did not get a chance to make before I pulled the vehicle off the road.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to finally see a build thread from you.. after reading all your DIY threads I expect nothing less lol! sub'd
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to this! Always love your DIY's

I am planning something similar to this soon, will be restoring my 93 SI but with all the good parts it should have came with factory lol
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow! doing it proper. Awesome Job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: deschlong's restoration of a '93 Si Hatch - lots of OEM goodness