Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics

Ok, so i figured i would copy my project thread to honda-tech for additional c&c. Keep in mind some of the pictures are out of order...

Ok. Let the games begin. Here is the story of how i came to buy and modify my 1990 Civic Hatch... Mr. ED!!!

Ahhh winter 2004, the good ole days...

After getting bored with the lack of available parts for my accord the search to more thoroughly modify a honda began. I searched hoping to land a great deal on a EG or EK hatch but after weeks of tireless searching a cheap deal could not be found. It was at this point that i decided to search for a older lighter honda chassis. Eventually on a cold winter night similar to this i placed a ebay bid on a 1990 Civic DX hatch in huntington valley, PA. The car was looking a little expensive for what it was but overall decent body (no major) and most importantly Bone stock w/ 149k on the clock. The total cost of car $1250.

Unfortunately that there are no pictures of the car in this state, it didnt stay stock for long. Despite getting this new project, i hadnt sold the old accord and budget to modify the civic was tight.

Initial mods to the car that winter included:
- TYC Sppoon Mirrors (The car had no passenger mirror, DX!)
- Amber Corner Lights
- Infinity basslink (xfered from old accord)
- SRR Shift **** (xfered from old accord)
- ATC Volanti Steering Wheel (Blue Stich uber rare)
- TYC 'Cusco' Rear strut tower bar
- eM Racing C-Pillar bar (Initial eM Racing group buy!)
- 1988 Acura Vigor Front lip (xferred from Accord)
- 93 Del Sol Seats with modified rails (xferred from accord)
- The notorious 88 CRX wheels

That was it, I went back to school in the city and left the car nicely tucked in the garage. Meanwhile the accord was still for sale and i was getting closer to make the sale. I was able to sell the accord just in time to fend off some CC impulse buys from my 8x10 apartment. That fall i moved back into west chester and had a nice pile of parts awaiting for me. I will let the pics do the talking:

- Megan Racing Lower Control Arms 6061 aluminum (50% weight savings over stock)
- Invidia SS/Ti EF9 Exhaust
- eM Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar
- eM Racing Triangulation Bar (both not available at original purchase of car)
- DA Integra Rear Trailing arms
- DA Integra Rear Disc Brakes
- DA Integra 40/40 Prop Valve
- CRX Si Ebrake Cables
- 1st Generation Omnipower Coilovers for EG (Custom Bottom Mounts, stock spring rates 10k, 8k)
- ARP Extended studs (Fixed stripped studs)
- Ebay lower tie bar (painted jdm orange)
- OEM Honda Rear Speaker Pods
- Infinity Kappa 5.25"s
- Some Pioneer Speakers (cheap and brand new)

So this is how it looked toward the end of 04. I eventually got new tires on the Rota Slip streams and rocked em...

Ok enough for now...

Eventually over this time i replaced the tail lights with those of an EF3 & got keyless handles and keyless entry
- JDM EF2 Tails
- JDM EF2 Sedan Rear Door Handles
- SPAL Keyless entry kit (Works great years later btw!)

Ditched the AC for future clearance:

At this point i also swapped wheels with my buddy darren, (who will hopefully see these pics for a little nostalgia). Ran over to East Goshen Park for some quick pics:

Due to the wider track of the integra rear discs the meaty azenis tires rubbed constantly forcing me to search for new wheels. I happened to stumble upon the deal of a lifetime My Slipstreams for a set of 15" EP Civic wheels & 15" Konig Villians. Naturally i couldnt pass up the deal. Here are some pics:

At this time i also finalized the trunk install with a hidden Hawker Genesis battery

It was at this time that i was able to compare darrens b16 si and Greg Immings d16z Eg hatch. After some careful consideration i decided to go d16z sohc vtec swap primarily. The price between the two swaps was hard to justify (b16 1250$ vs. d16 ~500$), plus the sohc motor reused motor mounts, shift linkage, and other equip. I eventually stumbled upon a d15b7 1.5 liter Sohc Vtec Found in the JDM vti civic sedan for 435$ + 75$ freight from socal to here. The mileage was low and motor was very clean and properly removed:

So the parts compilation continued:

- Rywire Custom DPFI OBD0 -> MPFI ODB1 Harness and jumper
- JDM p08 ECU
- Discontinued STR Gold Fuel Rail (purchased from estate sale wtf??)
- Fidanza 9.5lb flywheel
- Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
- Stainless Fuel Line AN Fittings
- b&m Fuel Pressure Regulator

And so me and my dad (teh man) pulled her into the garage for a 05 new years party!
Drained Fluids:

The old Heart:

3M painters tape wiring schematics:

Out with it:

New equipment:

Initial Start and diagnostics:

Its Alive:

The finishing touches:
- shaved valve cover (custom Wrinkle black, 7 Coats)
- Megan Racing SS Header (Another good buy only 75$!)
- Neuspeed Tie Bar

Many thanks to Papa-Dukes without his nay-saying i never would have never conceived of such an pointless endevour and without his experience i never would have completed it. Thanks Dad (tu) x 100

Here is where we left off... i swapped the motor and modifications came to a screeching halt. Back to school i went and for this time it was for 15 months straight, commuting none the less. I averaged about 33 MPG and drove most of it in west philly. I rocked the same look and began my research on building a turbo kit.

I dabbled in parts buying and started working with ECUs. (No pics due to crashed hard drive (td).
First was this Blitz 60mm boost gauge:

Then i changed my mind to a triple gauge pod 2" Spearco boost and westach A/F ratio:

June 06: Graduated college and began working fulltime. Needless to say the parts buying amplified since the college years:
Completed the triple gauge pod:

Not happy with how the regular pod looked, i custom molded another one to the dash (tu)

Got rid of the sparco wheel in favor of a JDM integra type-r spec96 wheel:

First check i bought JDM window visors, no a/c is no fun.

Instrumentation was out of the way, so now the actual turbo part gathering began. I started out with an HF Crx manifold w/ Td04l turbo adapter plate for 40$. I then purchased the turbo from a Subaru wrx w/20k orignal miles:

This turbocharged air needed to be cooled down so a 87 Mistubishi starion intercooler complete with rewelded endtanks was added. The mocking up began:

To be continued...

So put the motor on an engine stand and started mocking everything up. Bought flanges, and clocked the exhaust and compressor housing such to have all the piping work. Also if you note the use of a half size civic radiator (custom mounts):

Tapped oil pan w/AN fittings:

Then one hot day, months of preparation came to life. Here are the pics from install day:

Hooked up the battery, burned a basemap and held my breath:

Its alive:

But not for long, oil overflow through the feed line

As you could probably tell by the rats nest of wires and vacuum hoses, i wasnt quite done. I drove the car as is for a limited amount of time before realizing a gas leak. I fixed the leak with a oem honda filler hose, a rather expensive peice of rubber i might add. Then the wire tuck began, starting with the passenger side all of the wires were run in the frame rails, fuse boxes relocated inside the cabin and unecessary vacuum hoses eliminated:

Sleeping in the bumper:

Just thought i would document some winter projects on the hatch:
I recently acquired this on ebay in a pretty dirty state. Cleaned and shined her up a bit:
- Hand Polished Aluminum Moroso catch can w/ AN Plumbing

Since this thread lacks pics:

More goodies:

More random pics to enjoy

Like, i said alot has happened in the past couple years including harddrive failures and duplicate pictures. I will try to sort this out a little bit, but hopefully you have enjoyed the photos of my money pit
Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics (Chronicsinners)

So is it boosted now? I love the setup! I think it looked best on the Type X's. Also, I really like how you have the turbo outlet going right to the IC with VERY VERY minimal piping. Should make for great response with the WRX turbo.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics (thenick)

Yo nick!! Funny this thread has been around for a while, and yet no posts, i guess my work isnt cool or custom enough

Minimal piping was my design goal, i think i did pretty well. It spools instantly with the td04l turbo. The wastegate is set at 6psi and there is basically no point in the powerband where you cant step on the gas and get instant boost. Should be alotta fun when it sees the road again... Right now it is in peices...

oh, nice billy S quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics (Chronicsinners)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chronicsinners &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yo nick!! Funny this thread has been around for a while, and yet no posts, i guess my work isnt cool or custom enough

Minimal piping was my design goal, i think i did pretty well. It spools instantly with the td04l turbo. The wastegate is set at 6psi and there is basically no point in the powerband where you cant step on the gas and get instant boost. Should be alotta fun when it sees the road again... Right now it is in peices...

oh, nice billy S quote </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yeah. I seriously need to get back in an EF. I thought yotas would suffice but they're very
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics (thenick)

looking good dude
Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 PM

i love this thread, keep it up man.

how does that exhaust sound?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (efsublime)

what mounts/sliders are you using for the seat? Does it sit relatively low or is it way higher than stock?

car looks great..i remember the older pics of it..come a long way
Old 05-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stefndogg)

car reminds me of my car but with a better engine haha, im still rolling around with the dual point
Old 05-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (richmond)

wow, thanks for all the support guys

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stefndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what mounts/sliders are you using for the seat? Does it sit relatively low or is it way higher than stock?

car looks great..i remember the older pics of it..come a long way </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, the rails are stock F1spec, mounted on custom sliders. Basically i took the stock sliders apart and welded 2 peices of steel cross bracing to mount the seat. It sits higher than my old delsol seats, but probably around the same height as a stock civic seat. I like it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by efsublime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i love this thread, keep it up man.

how does that exhaust sound?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The exhaust sounds great, and was medium loud when the car was NA. Now turbo the car is pretty quiet for what it is. You know what they say: "Turbos make the best mufflers"

Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chronicsinners)

Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Liking what you've done with the car, even with the single cammer. I wish I had the time to build a nice Z6 or even the A6 that I currently have, but college first.

Nice job once again.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (stockbee)

Nice project!

that is the smallest turbo I think I have ever seen though, when do you see full boost? does it fall off or does it make power to redline?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Scotty Dosent Know)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scotty Dosent Know &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice project!

that is the smallest turbo I think I have ever seen though, when do you see full boost? does it fall off or does it make power to redline?</TD></TR></TABLE>

2300 RPM, it is really just a function of throttle position. If you open the throttle it reaches full boost almost instantly. As for making power all the way to the redline, the car isnt tuned properly enough to find out. We will know soon
Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice build. Theres a different set of wheels on the car for every picture...

Anyways, Can you link the site where you bought that flat black wrinkle paint. You valve cover came out gorgeous... PROPS

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Or just Pm me it, either way. Thanks

-JB
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great Project !!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjetEF)

Thanks for the props, the paint used was the VHT wrinkle coat
Old 05-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some Newer Pics:

More details and pics can be found on my blog
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the black slips looked best on your hatch
Old 05-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted Chemist)

Fat 5's IMO
Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (draperj09)

Thats quite the sleeper you got there sir. you can hardly see the intercooler with the bumper on. good luck.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted Chemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Chemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the black slips looked best on your hatch </TD></TR></TABLE>

I like em too, but they are long gone

Thanks everyone, for some reason this thread never appears in my recent threads
Old 06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (palisoc05)

Great build man, glad to see you stuck with a sohc..

I ran into the same tire rub issues with the DA trailing arms, i ended up rolling my rear fenders to fit 205/50r15s.

Those wrx turbos are nasty quick spool even on d-series !
Old 06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (green91)

Did any of you paint crack and peel when you rolled y our rear fenders?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91b16acrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91b16acrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did any of you paint crack and peel when you rolled y our rear fenders?</TD></TR></TABLE>

a little bit, however after using the roller a couple more times i got over the learning curve and should have just applied more heat. No biggie...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Great build man, glad to see you stuck with a sohc..

I ran into the same tire rub issues with the DA trailing arms, i ended up rolling my rear fenders to fit 205/50r15s.

Those wrx turbos are nasty quick spool even on d-series !</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks, the spool is instant to say the least
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the effort man. Im in the same boat building my car while going to college (I know you have graduated). I eat out like crazy so Im trying to tone that down and buy parts.

Quick Reply: Chronicsinners / BobFab 1990 Civic HB Build Thread - Old and new pics