Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

BB4 Prelude- NA drag build (in for the long haul)

Old 01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BB4 Prelude- NA drag build (in for the long haul)

So, I one day woke up and decided I needed a 13-second street/drag car. I always wanted a 1991 Crx-H22A but felt a newer Del Sol with the H22A might be a better in the long run. Ended up having no luck finding a decent donor del sol (was looking for a manual vtec non-transtop) and randomly stumbled onto a cheap 1992 Honda Prelude that I knew I could not pass up. Hence, by chance, this built will involve a 1992 BB4 Honda Prelude. I plan to get it into the 13 second bracket and it may see some track time occasionally. Would also like to reach ~200wkw, eventually...

Coffee stains anyone

Always a worry, dented heat shield...

Still healthy after 250k kms on the clock

Some maintenance post purchase:
Fixing up the mysterious leak that sounded amazing

Header is still ok at least...

Cleaned the interior, who knew coffee stains just don't want to wash out...

Rare gem:

Note to self, user manual says no messing with the wheel.

For the lolz

What do you do when your Prelude's horn buttons pack a sack (yea so I did exactly what the car manual said not to do.haha):

Note the custom boss kit with stock cruise control switches.

Engine maintenance- replaced severely leaking (and smoking) oil cooler gasket, spark plug and valve cover gaskets, new oil (Valvoline VR1 racing, 10w40), new air filter, and new Iridium spark plugs.

Car alarm and getting coasy with all the interior panels stripped.

What to do with the Prelude after general maintenance, get a dyno baseline! Also reallocated the number plate, touched up the valve cover (for now.lol.) and detailed the engine bay (degrease, wash, paint etc).

Unfortunately the mighty H broke the dyno (has nothing to do with the Skyline that was on before the H22A) and I got no readings.lol.

Got some drag time planned soon, followed by a dyno power run and then some major bolt on modification!

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 09-18-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BB4 Prelude- NA drag build (in for the long haul)

nice start
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, another bb4 build. Love seein more and more people gettin into the bb chassis.
Good start brotha. Any plans for the engine? Or just going for weight reduction?
P.S. sell me your headlights haha.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha you know it, just can't go wrong with the BB chassy!

Got a few runs done down the 1/4 mile today. Will see if any pics surface of the action.

In prep for the day, I removed the rear tow bar (solid 20kg of iron.lol) and cleared out all the junk minus spanners, wrench set, some oil, spare wheel & jack and some Dot 4.lol. Installed a relay to give me control over the aircon fan in the cabin (helps keep the bay temps down between runs). Also played with the clutch engagement point. It was engaging right up top, little to no free play... Still engages rather high after 6 full rotations of the master cylinder rod but is much better now.

Aside from the absolutely crap "stock" front tyres, my first and best run of the day was 15.200 at 147.64km/h (4.5k rpm feathered launch).lol. Was amazed that I managed to finish the run in 3rd gear; literally hit the limiter in 3rd just after the 1/4 mile line.haha. All other runs had too much wheel spin on the launch, 60' for them between 2.4-2.5...

RT- 0.368
60'- 2.311
330'- 6.42
1/8- 9.832 @ 114.95km/h
1000'- 12.747
1/4- 15.200 @ 147.64km/h

Plans for this week:
Dyno on Tuesday for a baseline figure (hoping for at least 155whp.lol)
Tuesday-Saturday- pimp it out with parts, maybe a respray.

Parts I have ready to fit:
CAI with Blox velocity stack filter
"Mildly ported" stock intake manifold
Blox phenolic intake gasket
D1 Spec FPR
Hytech replica header (needs a 2.5' collector mod)- 2.5' outlet
2.5' header back "custom fabricated" exhaust (no cat, small flexi, one resonator, mandrel bends welded together)
2.5' inlet muffler
AEM UEGO wideband
SAFCII
P72 (OBDI) with Crome basemap

Once done, a dyno and tune is on the cards!

Parts I have for future mods:
Jun Stage III cams
P13 closed deck with balance shaft delete and P5M pistons.
M2B4 tranny in unknown condition...lol

Parts I plan to get:
Ferrea 5000 series valve kit (5000 series valves, dual valve springs, retainers, keepers, seals, seat locator and guides)
Mahle Gold 11.5 pistons
Cometic single layer head gasket
Skunk2 Pro cam gears (6 bolt type)
ACL (Rod + Mains + Thrust) bearings & ARP main and head studs
Greddy extreme timing belt
Kaizenspeed manual tensioner
Was going to get a Competition Clutch 2100 but still not sure which way I will go.
Wanted a Fidanza flywheel but that may change pending the clutch supplier (anyone used the ultra light competition clutch flywheel?)

Still unsure of intake mani, throttle and head work.

Weight reduction will be mild to moderate. Aircon is definitely going, will fit a fiber glass bonnet and will eventually dry-ice all the sound insulation and gut all that can be gut!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A vid of the best run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VorMM...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dyno is still not up and running, hoping tomorrow will be the day!

Began with some easy weight reduction

Water and soap does wonders

Seats for now

Previous owner's ash tray

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 03-04-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice project!! Think I def want one of these Preludes as my next car, thats a real cool looking back seat/armrest. Wonder could I fit it to an Accord lol. If you ever decide to take the back seat out then remove the seat belt tensioners etc as they're heavy enough! Replace the front ones with harnesses and theres even more weight saved! As far as I remember the VW tensioners weighed nearly 15kg...thats 60kg for 4 of them!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, those seat belts do add some weight! Pending my 1/4mile time on my next run, I may consider stripping out more (passenger seat, rear seats, unused seat belts, headunit and the two front speakers). I am strongly considering removing the aircon and if I can get my hands on some dry ice the sound deadening is gone!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dyno done, stock H22A was putting down 117wkw (~158whp) at ~580wnm. Love the 14.1:1 air fuel ratio at 5000rpm, stock JDM P13 ECU...

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 03-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who needs sound deadening? Type R's dont have it...ever been in an Integra Type R? They make a real nice sound! My air-con pulley broke last week in my Accord (UKDM) and what I did was fit the auxillary belt for non air-con models...got the idea from the user manual in the part numbers area...worked perfect! Have a look in your user manual and see if they offered a Prelude without air-con? What country are you in? Looks like Ireland from the weather haha. At a guess, New Zealand? Real nice Prelude, any more updates?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha yea, I am in the New Zealand!

Had the clutch start slipping on me after the dyno... I have got an Exedy OEM clutch in the mean time to keep her on the road, still need to fit it though.

Fitted a Hytech replica header and 2.5' exhaust

Fitted a cleaned and slightly ported intake manifold and Blox intake gasket

Stock manifold's IAB runner porting is off:

Smoothed out this transition:

Removed the stock gasket, took ages!

Intake gasket was a tight fit

New mani on

Ran the engine with the AEM wide band, new intake manifold and hytech exhaust and had a full lean air fuel ratio at idle (greater than 18:1) with stock ECU and stock intake pipe. Removing the vacuum hose off the stock FPR yielded an idle rpm of 13.5:1 ... Sorting out the tune is next on the list, along with a CAI.lol

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 03-04-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Half way through the clutch fitment. Ran into an odd issue with the trans not wanting to bolt back up, could fit three of the mounting bolts but for some odd reason the trans would not shift into place completely...

Discovered the reason for clutch slippage... Clutch was still ~75% new...

Cleaned up a little

New clutch on

So close yet so far... Will remove the clutch and check that the clutch splines actually are correct and that it does slide onto the trans...

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 04-10-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How did the clutch get so oily? Do Hondas have a clutch check window? VW 1.9's have a hole about 2" in diameter for viewing the clutch, my last car had the rubber cover missing so my clutch was exposed to the elements lol
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you on NZHondas? I've got some fairly hardcore cams that you may want to use and develop the head for drag use? pm me if you wish?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chris_McCartney
How did the clutch get so oily? Do Hondas have a clutch check window? VW 1.9's have a hole about 2" in diameter for viewing the clutch, my last car had the rubber cover missing so my clutch was exposed to the elements lol
Yea, the H22A has a similar rubber peak hole that can be used to set the ignition timing with a timing light. From what I could tell the oil could only be form the trans or crank. Trans seal seems to fine but the crank seal seems to be the culprit. The area behind the flywheel was also rather oily and although the crank seal is not “dripping” as such it seems it has progressively been losing oil... Easy fix when the trans if off!

Originally Posted by digitaldesign
Are you on NZHondas? I've got some fairly hardcore cams that you may want to use and develop the head for drag use? pm me if you wish?
Hey, yea I am on nzhondas, sent you a PM. I got a set of Jun Stg III cams off Mac (fortyone) that I plan to fit. Although their profile isn’t that extreme, I like their power band. Drag racing will be the main pass time for the car but there will be some street driving, and I would like to throw it around the track when those opportunities present themselves!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch job done!!! Painful 2 days but the end product is great. Clutch pressure plate feel is much lighter than the clutch that was removed which is odd. Either way, the clutch grabs and the lude lives!

Seems the crank seal was not leaking, but I replaced it anyhow. I now believe it may have been the leaking valve cover that leaked into the trans case through the timing hole... It was leaking rather badly when I got it.

Crank gasket fitting tool, free from a protein shake container.lol

Gearbox did not wiggle on but got closer than the previous attempt. Made sure the clutch-flywheel alignment was spot on this time. Had to mate the gearbox to the engine using its mounting bolts... No matter what I could not get it to "slide on". Once I had both dowels aligned it would not budge, but after fitting 4 trans bolts and tightening them it slid on.

Sway bar bushes replaced

I also took the opportunity to do a wire tuck, one side is clean, the other is a stock mess.lol.
Before tuck

The final product.

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 03-04-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Make me want to do something to my 98 Prelude.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh you already got cams? I've sent you a pm response let me know what you think either way, need to find someone whos interested enough to go all out to put my cams to use
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Indeed, cam shafts are sorted but there is still the valve train that needs to be sorted.

The Juns

The donor block; closed deck with OEM looking balance shaft delete and P5P pistons.

Also have a brand new P13 head for the occasion

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like this build
Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

/\ I like the above post's avatar pic. /\

How you getting on with the engine rebuild? I'm booked to fly over to your neighbouring area of land later this year.... maybe visit NZ while I'm in Oz at some point, looks a lot like Ireland here tho. Anyway back to topic, what do the H22's redline at? How many hp you expecting to get?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A little far to travel but it is "paradise" down here compared with the rest of the world!

Engine rebuild takes too much time and money! Its on the back burner idling away as I slowly gather up parts.

Stock rev limiter is ~ 7640 rpm. Highest I have seen is 78xx rpm (on Crome).lol.

Right now I am expecting somewhere around 195whp. Still got a few things to round off before the next dyno. I do have drag time planned this Friday though!

An update:

Master cylinder packed a sack...

Out with the old

In with the new

Took a around 2 hours of bleeding and a whole bottle of DOT4- "high performance" break fluid to get the clutch working again... Clutch pedal feel is great now, think the Master cylinder was shot before doing the clutch and the new clutch has killed it completely. Will keep an eye on the slave but for now its working fine.

Figured I would get the tune sorted. My Crome basemap was tuned with a FPR, hence:

Also installed the SAFCII. So nice to do simple installs after the clutch job.lol

Hacking complete, all soldered up and I have set up a wire loom to allow SAFC plug and play.

Test run

Last edited by BB1 H22A LUDE; 03-04-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You sir, are awesome! A friend of mine has been invited to play rugby for a team in NZ. He's currently coaching in Newcastle, England. Not bad for a 21 year old. If he goes I will visit NZ at some point! You gotta get a video of this beast in action mate!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha yea, stay tuned! I have a drag racing session booked for this Friday night (must get at least a 14.4!) and I have another dyno planned for next Thursday! All action.lol.

Had a radiator hose burst on me last night, lost ~2L of coolant without knowing.... Unsure of the hose's actual function but it starts underneath the vtec solenoid and ends on the firewall, guessing it relates to the cabin heating. Think I need a coolant temp sensor already so I can pick up radiator fluid leaks before its all gone...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude you really need page two, takes my computer about 2 minutes to load all them pics haha. Then I try to read the last post and it starts scrolling down as more pics load haha. You should take out the stereo and get a single DIN blanking plate with holes for guages, on ebay UK they are like £3 for the blanking plate, so I'm sure they're not far off it in NZ? Couple of 52mm guages would be useful, coolant temp, exhaust temperature and maybe fuel pressure or something? Love your car.

P.S. This is post #25 so think you win page 2 lol. You know what that means, new page new pics!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BB4 Prelude- NA drag build (in for the long haul)