Notices
Appearance Build Threads Showcase and discussion for projects and theme cars.

94' Civic Si w/JDM B16A build (56k warning)

Old 09-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 94' Civic Si w/JDM B16A (56k warning)

I'm migrating to this forum since the other one I've been on is pretty much dead.

About myself and Mission Statement

I'm 25 and currently live in Virginia. I'm in the United States Navy as an F/A-18 Aircraft Mechanic (powerplant). This is my 3rd car that i bought: 1st 94' Honda Accord LX, 2nd 03' Toyota Camry LE, and finally 3rd Honda Civic Si. I didn't count my motorcycle cuz its not a car My plan is to build a reliable daily driver and get into 13's in the 1/4 mile.

Here's a vid I made back in OCT 2011:

94' Civic Si
JDM B16A
short ram intake
high flow cat, 2.5 cat-back, but with a stock muffler, that's how it came with the car

work done since i bought the car:
-installed sound system
-tinted windows
-8000k HIDS

future plans but awaiting funding:
-awaiting to install MSD ignition
-install a/c, don't want my 4 year old sweating and suffering
-lower car a lil more
-install carbon fiber mirrors
-Duckbill wing
-fog lights
-paint car...color choices are: championship white, gunmetal grey, milano red, or yellow
-new rims, choices are: volk te37, BBS rs, Mugen m7, or Work Equip 03
-Clutch and flywheel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by bigJOE671 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Here's an update on my car

-Installed MSD Ignition wires, but didn't not install the rest of the components. The wires made a diffrence when i started it up. It didn't take as long as the old wires. Now I need to fabricate a bracket for the box and the coil to mount to the car so i could install the rest of the MSD components.

-Installed ac components condensor and fan, I have the compressor but not installed. Those weren't on the car when i bought it. I just don't know what bracket to use to install the compressor...I've been hearing a 94-95 del sol vtec ac bracket or a crv bracket but i don't know what year and the bracket codes. It's starting to get really hot here in VA Beach!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another update!

Installed SCI box, coil, and pro cap. I ran in to a couple problems. First, I had to fabricate a bracket for the SCI box and the coil. Second, I didn't have a wire that had the right connectors to connect the pro cap and coil. Finally, had to make a little cut in the pro cap to fit the wires that goes to the pickup.

-here is the system installed, I know it's not the cleanest but i wanted to get it running.

-here are the brackets

-this is the wire from the coil to cap...I bought it at autozone, awaiting connectors to come in so i could install the msd wire.

-now this is where the wire comes out of the pro cap, had to use my dremel to make a little space for the wires to go through.

I think this system is doing its job...The difference that i felt is that in the upper RPM range starts to pull a lil harder. I didn't really notice a difference in throttle response. When it came to starting up the car, it started a lot quicker!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by bigJOE671 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:14 pm

So for my ac, I pretty much put a whole another system in the car. I found out that one of the low pressure side hoses was converted to a smaller pipe. The pipe was cut and pretty much just had another different sized end, put together with a rubber hose and clamps. This caused the hose to leak when i put the freon in.

For those of you that don't know, the bolts under the battery tray are notorius for rusting Every 92-95 civic model i've seen has this problem :eek:
So I had to break those bolts loose with some help. When that was done I replaced the evaporator, low pressure lines, high pressure lines, and another receiver/drier. Had to remove the condensor w/fan and push the radiator rearward for the high pressure lines.

Then i did the vacuum and got to -29hg! left it that for a half hour. Last time i did this it showed no leak but when i put freon, which put the system under pressure 50psi (low side), I heard it hissing after i shutdown the car

I put about 18oz of freon which took a while about 20-30 mins. Then my ac started getting cold! I let it run for another ten minutes and guess what my vent temp was :idea: ...here just look at the pic

Here is a vid of my AC working:

This was at Idle (1000rpm), fan setting at 2, ambient air temp at 85F, and with 50% humidity

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I decided to fix my cruise control since it didn't work when I bought the car.

First thing I did was print out the troubleshooting manual. :list:

Since I have a Jdm cluster, It doesn't come with the cruise control light and the connector will not connect to the cluster :dontknow: . So that leaves out troubleshooting the light.

First thing I did was check all the fuses...behold! there was one missing :eek: ! Replaced that with a new one! Then went to see if the CC works...I didn't. So further troubleshooting needed, I checked all of the wires coming from the brain and I found out that the clutch pedal switch was just hanging. :dontknow: Here's the funny thing, there was a clutch switch already in place on the pedal assembly. So I have to clutch switches! So i just removed the extra one and plug the plug into the one on the pedal assembly. Then I went for a test...It worked! but another problem came :evil: . When I was setting it, it would set but the car would slow down then hold a steady speed. So I looked at the troubleshooting manual again :list: it said to check the play on the actuator. I checked it and it had an inch of play :tisk: . Adjusted the cable to within limits then went for the third test. Finally the system worked as it supposed too.

This is what I did today to fix my Cruise Control. Only spent about an hour from start to finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changed my oil yesterday :D

I fixed the leak that was coming from my drain plug I removed the drain plug. Funny thing is that it didn't take any effort at all :eek: . Lucky I didn't come off when i was driving. So when I inspected the washer, It was cracked half way around! I guess this is the problem that was causing the leak plus the plug wasn't tight at all.

I got the drain plug washer from the dealership. I told them it was for a 2000 Civic Si. When I tried to put the washer on it would only go half way onto the drain plug. Busted out my dremel and made a the hole bigger :idea: . Finally installed it on the oil pan and gave it some German torque "Good n tight" (GNT) as what some aircraft mechs say.

Poured in some good oil

Started it up but i found more oil leaks out of this engine . Found the leak near the top of the vtec solenoid and my near the moon cap, I found the bolt broken into the head, here is the problem area

Just got to order some bolts and gaskets for this! Gaskets have to be from a NSX though, EXPENSIVE! :eek: Wondering if anybody know if the bolts are the same as a B16a2 engine. This is an JDM B16a Obd0 from a 89-91 civic if I remember correctly.

I swapped rims with my friend yesterday
What do you guys think? IMO I like the Si rims. These rims just match my primer paint job.

Here is the rims I had.

Here my B16A with massive amounts of TORQUE! :eek: and massive trunk spoiler for downforce

Had to take a shot of my friends car.

Here is my car with his rims.

I will run these rims for a week or so...then we will swap rims back.

So My car is getting 22mpg with this chipped ECU

My friend had a spare chipped ECU for his EM1 that was tuned with I/h/e. He asked if i wanted to use it and see if it made a difference. So i installed and and turned on the ignition...No CEL! then I started it...no hesitation. So we took it for a test drive and there was no problems with the engine running. Then we took it for a WOT run :beater: ...BOY this thing started to pull even more compared to my other ECU. It even chirped third gear with ease. Now i'm just gonna drive around with out trying to now floor it to much to see how much MPG i'm gonna get.

If that doesn't help with the miles per gallon I guess I just try installing this. j/k! this is my friends motor

Here's an update. So far I haven't really did much with my hatch.

I'm about to F@#k some **** up!

Here's how she sits right now. In need of a paint job and a front end alignment.

Right now all I did was add grip tape to my clutch pedal. The rubber grip just wore out and fell off. You can see it on the floor

Desoldering stuff on my spare P28 ECU so I could solder on a chipping kit :saber:

I plan to tune my own car. So chipping it is the start for me.

Last edited by bigJOE671; 11-12-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: edit
Old 09-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94' Civic Si w/JDM B16A build (56k warning)

Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buumpp...nice build...keep it comin !!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jency17
buumpp...nice build...keep it comin !!
Thanks! I'll try to keep it coming...just have some priorities first.

Originally Posted by r_Senik
Thanks! The car was a It needed a lot of work to get it where its at now.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94' Civic Si w/JDM B16A DD (56k warning)

Here's an update of what I did today...Decided to stop playing COD, and since I had no work for school, got off my *** and decided I would paint my Header cover.

Here's a before, this was taken with my camera phone.

Here's an after...taken with my regular camera. I know it's filthy :boohoo:

I thinking about selling my whole MSD ignition set up minus the spark plug wires, If anybody wants to throw some reasonable offers. I think it clutters my engine bay.

I'm trying to make the engine bay look good since that's all I can do so far.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the k series going in your hatch?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eg-perk
is the k series going in your hatch?
Nope My friend traded the motor for a car before I could get the cash. So no K20A for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I dont know. Engine bay is a lil ****ed up if I must say. All I see is wires, a hideous valve cover, and despretely needs a header. Car looks pretty strait. Id paint it championship white, leave the si's on it. Start putting money into suspension instead of msd ignition, which you dont need anywhere close on a stock b16. Put the money where it counts, and dont rice it out
Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PandaEj6
I dont know. Engine bay is a lil ****ed up if I must say. All I see is wires, a hideous valve cover, and despretely needs a header. Car looks pretty strait. Id paint it championship white, leave the si's on it. Start putting money into suspension instead of msd ignition, which you dont need anywhere close on a stock b16. Put the money where it counts, and dont rice it out
Well your right about the engine bay being ****ed up I Gotta start somewhere.

Wires I plan on tucking just don't have time and I want to research more about tucking before I do that.

The valve cover has to wait. I'm not going to touch it anytime soon, some of the studs that hold the valve cover down are stripped and on stud broke off.
So I need a torque wrench and the order a new set of studs.

Championship sounds like a nice color but my friend already has that. I don't want the same color he has. It would look better once I get it painted which is next year then throw the Si's back on it.

A header would be a better solution but I don't know which is better, 4-2-1 or 4-1

The supension already has coilovers and front and rear skunk 2 camber kit. I bought the MSD ignition kit because the deal was pretty damn good for the whole setup.

Money goes toward my family first since I have a newborn. The only rice that's going in my car is the 20lb bag that I buy at the Commisary every two weeks .
Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint: Gunemtal Grey

Header: 421 Toda Replica, check the MarketPlace, tons of good replica headers

Rims:5-lug 15" ITR Gunmetal

8K HID: Get rid of it. You're not blinding me. Get some halogens.

Clutch/flywheel: Exedy Stage 1 kit, act street lite or w/e your budget. I wouldn't go lighter than 10-12lbs, search ebay

You need a muffler and suspension. Muffler is your own preference. No rice please. WS, SP, Spoon street, ITR/CTR, twinloop... Get something nice like adjustable shocks and coilovers. Koni/GC, Progess, PIC..AMR.

Good start though.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
Paint: Gunemtal Grey That's a nice color

Header: 421 Toda Replica, check the MarketPlace, tons of good replica headers Does this give low & midrange or high rpm power?

Rims:5-lug 15" ITR Gunmetal what do I need to do this?

8K HID: Get rid of it. You're not blinding me. Get some halogens. They are aimed low when I installed it

Clutch/flywheel: Exedy Stage 1 kit, act street lite or w/e your budget. I wouldn't go lighter than 10-12lbs, search ebay Why wouldn't you go lighter than 10-12lbs?

You need a muffler and suspension. Muffler is your own preference. No rice please. WS, SP, Spoon street, ITR/CTR, twinloop... Get something nice like adjustable shocks and coilovers. Koni/GC, Progess, PIC..AMR. Planning on getting a Vibrant 2.5 exhaust. Definitely need some coilovers. The ones I have are pretty stiff

Good start though.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ordered some carpets for my car! Always wanted to get carpets for a long time. Finally ordered them I will have them next week!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's an update, Gutted the hatch! Ijust took out the seats, sub, and amp.

Found a bunch of crap back there :eek:

here's pics :D

Look at all those speaker wires from the previous owner

Under the seat is really dirty

Look what I found under the seat :eek:

After I took out the seats, I cleaned the rear hatch as best as I can since I had to go to school in 1 1/2 hours.
Here's the pics:

from the driver

from the trunk

from the passenger

Old 10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received my carpets today!

Here they are!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good start keep it up, looks a lot like mine when I got it.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SHG_Felliphe
Good start keep it up, looks a lot like mine when I got it.
Yup...the only difference basically was the paintjob and the engine and the hood and the duckbill and thats it
Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's an update...In order for me to keep updating this thread I gotta feed myself first :D

Here's what I had for dinner

Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: changed spark plugs

Decided to change my spark plugs since I didn't know how long ago they were changed

Here's pics of the spark plugs that came out. Cylinder 1 starting from left

Cylinder 1 starting from right

All the spark plugs that came out look identical like this.

According to the last pic the heat range is too cold, the air/fuel ratio is too rich, and porcelain looks to be that there is a timing issue.

This is a web page that has some simple info on how to read spark plugs: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html
Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol why would you need gaskets from a nsx.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94Eg_SnatchBack
lol why would you need gaskets from a nsx.
Read this:https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/diy-crx-jdm-b16-vtec-solenoid-gasket-change-2173498/
Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. It would be nice once you get your valve cover on correctly. And I am damn jealous of your ac bro. Mine is at maybe like 60f but I still have to fully charge mine. I did mine on my own too, glad to see yours working great.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever motor those plugs are from is running just a little bit lean.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you gonna swap the B16A for a K motor and what more mod you gonna put in the car???
looking good nice and clean!!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the color off your valve cover but you should resprey it and it will be perfect!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiMatt
Looks good. It would be nice once you get your valve cover on correctly. And I am damn jealous of your ac bro. Mine is at maybe like 60f but I still have to fully charge mine. I did mine on my own too, glad to see yours working great.
Thanks! Glad to know their is another DIY'er...Just fully charge yours its like another $10-15 a can. I used two cans.

Originally Posted by EKPartOut
whatever motor those plugs are from is running just a little bit lean.
Are you sure? if so, tell me why.

Originally Posted by elsicario12
you gonna swap the B16A for a K motor and what more mod you gonna put in the car???
looking good nice and clean!!!!!
No i'm not gonna swap it. It was my friends motor and I was gonna buy it till he sold it before I got the cash

Originally Posted by EP3/VTECH
I love the color off your valve cover but you should resprey it and it will be perfect!
Thanks! I would respray it I just have to find the color first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94' Civic Si w/JDM B16A build (56k warning)