Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

What is efficient maximized RPM on a stock K20Z3 w/ TODA RACING Valvetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is efficient maximized RPM on a stock K20Z3 w/ TODA RACING Valvetrain?

Hi to all i i have civic SI 2011 on 50 000 km and i was looking to add some parts to it. My question is how far i can safely increase the RPM if a get new Toda upgrade springs and RRC oil pump. I don't have a budget for forged internals so i would like to stay with the stock setup.
Thanks to all.
Alex
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: What is efficient maximized RPM on a stock K20Z3 w/ TODA RACING Valvetrain?

Do you only intend to upgrade the valvesprings and oil pump ??? If so, you should be safe to rev the engine to 8600 RPM... and it is likely that you will make peak power before this and the power will have rolled over by 8600 RPM... thus, no real reason to rev the engine beyond this point and risk damage to the engine. Increasing the compression and bigger camshafts will make power beyond 8600 RPM, but these parts will stretch your budget.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What is efficient maximized RPM on a stock K20Z3 w/ TODA RACING Valvetrain?

I am planning on getting a header for k tuned and possible set of mild cams. The valve springs were just for extra insurance. I was thinking about Toda A2 or kelfowrd A specs. The reason behind this is the chain tensioner and Vtc actuator. In stock bottom I am not sure if I need more aggressiv cams.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 AM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you need new valvetrain and at least a K20A2 oil pump, to be revving that high reliably on a regular basis. The RRC unit is unnecessary but ehhh. Also you dont pick a rev limit and just go there, you build the motor and stop revving when it stops making power, which is why revving past 8k on stock cams does you no good. So once you build the motor with the cams and proper valvetrain, you go to a dyno and tune it until it stops making power. Then you will know your redline..
Old 01-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Thanks for the info. I agree with your approach. What my idea is to prepare all the support systems oil pump correct springs for higher rpm and then start adding the parts that will take advantage of the higher rpm potential like cams header ported intake manifold.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While i understand what you're saying you have to think about it logically in order of operations. If you are going into the head to change springs, it wouldn't make sense to not do the cams and the rest fo the valvetrain at the same time. Best thing to do is buy the parts and save them until you have everything you need, then put it together correctly and have it tuned. I know it's hard to not want to install new parts but doing it piecemeal like that you will either spend a ton of money or time on labor and have to do things over and over again.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont really understand the approach of the order in which you are doing mods. No need to rev the engine more if it doesnt make any power past the factory redline. IMO I would do intake, header, exhaust and go with cartel DIC or skunk2 DIC and get a dyno tune and stop revving the motor once power drops off.