Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

What is an afordable wide band A/F setup..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is an afordable wide band A/F setup..?

Hey guys.
I am tinking at purchasing a A/F gauge setup to run on my poor mans type r then my b20v in a couple of months. I already have the b16 head and ctr cams to put on my b18c1 block with itr pistons.
What is an afordable setup. I looked up the AEM Wideband UEGO Gauge wich runs for about 200$. The engine is in a 97 gsr and will be tunned with an p28 ecu.
Any ideas/hints/links are greatly apreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is an afordable wide band A/F setup..?

http://widebandsovernight.com/aem-ue...f05e246299d530
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 AM
All Motor Mentor

The AEM is affordable but in my and many others experience, aren't the most reliable. I would look at the PLX, Innovative, FJO, NGk widebands.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After researching several brands, I've decided to go with with the PLX SM-AFR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLX-D...Q5fAccessories
No calibration needed unlike some other brands
Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The AEM kit isnt as reliable. I read that some guys go tru 2 3 a year if not more.
Im leaning more towards an Inovative unit.

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
The AEM is affordable but in my and many others experience, aren't the most reliable. I would look at the PLX, Innovative, FJO, NGk widebands.
Whats a good brand from Inovative for around 200...? Im leaning towards a Innovate A/F DB Gauge wich can be purchased from ebay for 200ish $.

Originally Posted by all-mtr-teg
After researching several brands, I've decided to go with with the PLX SM-AFR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLX-D...Q5fAccessories
No calibration needed unlike some other brands
Can you explain why u went with this desicion. If its better then the Innovate A/F DB Gauge and it cost about 50$ more then ill chek in to it.
Thanks again guys
Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i dont know why AEM gets a bad rep on this forum, i have never seen one fail other than a dead sensor, this happens to all wideband setups. one of the big magazines did an impartial wideband shootout, innovate and AEM tied for the most accurate, PLX on the other hand was over 1 afr point off, that's really messed up.

latency also important, but if you can hold a steady load tuning for this is no problem as long as your afr's are accurate!

so here is the link to one of the impartial magazine shootouts, judge for yourself http://www.paceperformance.com/pacep...ndshootout.pdf
Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

doesn't aem, innovate, and maybe others, still use the bosch lsu 4.2 anyway? I have own the innovate and aem uegos, the only failures I have had was the o2 being mounted horizontal on my hytech header. added another o2 bung with it more vertical and no problems since. Other than that I go through a wideband about in a 1 1/2 year, depending how much you drive and what fuel you are running.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h2.4
doesn't aem, innovate, and maybe others, still use the bosch lsu 4.2 anyway? I have own the innovate and aem uegos, the only failures I have had was the o2 being mounted horizontal on my hytech header. added another o2 bung with it more vertical and no problems since. Other than that I go through a wideband about in a 1 1/2 year, depending how much you drive and what fuel you are running.
Good point, PLX w/ Bosch sensor only lasted about a year also, since then I switch to a NTK sensor and its been fine for almost 3 years now.
The sensor should be mounted in a 10 PM to 2 AM position facing down, never horizontal or facing up.

Also, that wideband shootout test seems flawed. Many of the test results are "subjective" results, and without any statistical data on the accuracy and latency readings, those numbers can also be misleading. I do analytical testing for a living and trust me, you can make any data look good or bad with some creative graphs and figures.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ I was looking at the ntk sensors, but chickened out and stayed with what I have always used. Since you have experience with the ntk, It must be similiar in accuracy, and evidentially last longer. I always seem to steer away from bosch pieces other than fuel pumps, and since ngk makes widebands it seems like a more familiar choice for me. But I ended up staying with the lsu4.2. How comparable are they?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by igorka_91
Whats a good brand from Inovative for around 200...? Im leaning towards a Innovate A/F DB Gauge wich can be purchased from ebay for 200ish $.
That's the same setup I've been using on my car for the last 2 years without any trouble at all.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a used plxm300 kit on here for 100 and just for shi*s i brought a new sensor and i love it 2yrs strong the best money i spent very easy to install black,white and ground
Old 02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
That's the same setup I've been using on my car for the last 2 years without any trouble at all.
I tink i read some of ure posts in the engine management and tunning section.

Originally Posted by 2001B18C1GS-R
i got a used plxm300 kit on here for 100 and just for shi*s i brought a new sensor and i love it 2yrs strong the best money i spent very easy to install black,white and ground
Thats a good deal .I just wouldnt trust something thats been used before and ho knows what kinda fuels they ran. just saying.

Originally Posted by h2.4
I would really like to run e85 on my b20v once its fullly broken in. Ima brake it in on 91 octane and a street tune or maybe a base map. Im still deciding how to brake it in. I tink on a engine dyno will be the best. Does e85 efect the o2 wideband sensor..?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ruffrhyder
Also, that wideband shootout test seems flawed. Many of the test results are "subjective" results, and without any statistical data on the accuracy and latency readings, those numbers can also be misleading. I do analytical testing for a living and trust me, you can make any data look good or bad with some creative graphs and figures.
the shootout used 2 different bottle of calibrated lab gas, i will quote the shootout write up here, the bottles "were formulated to SAE standards for .8 lambda and .895 lambda (11.76 AFR and 13.15 AFR respectively) As an added data point, we used Westec’s expensive ECM LambdaPro. (Incidentally, the LambdaPro read dead on for both calibrated gases)."

I don't know what more you could ask for in an AFR accuracy test, it's much better than some kid on the forum saying X brand o2 wideband is the best cuz all by homies use it.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

14point7 dot com has a good, affordable unit. NAW. its about $100 shipped, or $150 shipped with a new LSU 4.2 sensor.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FarmYard
14point7 dot com has a good, affordable unit. NAW. its about $100 shipped, or $150 shipped with a new LSU 4.2 sensor.
Kool
Im loking for something thats reliable and will be good for a Daily Driven car.
So, so far i am loking at getting the Innovate A/F DB Gauge.

No one answered my question. Will the o2 sensors work with e85. I read that they go out faster with e85 fuel..?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZZ - EXV
the shootout used 2 different bottle of calibrated lab gas, i will quote the shootout write up here, the bottles "were formulated to SAE standards for .8 lambda and .895 lambda (11.76 AFR and 13.15 AFR respectively) As an added data point, we used Westec’s expensive ECM LambdaPro. (Incidentally, the LambdaPro read dead on for both calibrated gases)."

I don't know what more you could ask for in an AFR accuracy test, it's much better than some kid on the forum saying X brand o2 wideband is the best cuz all by homies use it.
You're missing the point to Ruffrhyder's comments about the "subjective" results and the lack of statistical data. Say for example, if only 5 readings are recorded sensor A and analyzed, the standard deviation can be really small, versus another sensor B which has 10 sample readings, they may have a wider range but will provide more accurate results with a larger standard deviation. The write up doesn't show any statistical data and even more noteable is the lack of a test conducted over time and most importantly in the sensor's true operating environment (real exhaust gases and temperatures). I also do Research and Development so I speak first hand when I say Lab. test and pilot studies are typically flawed in several ways and are not mastered in one session.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, then you go use that wideband and dial your afr's, it's okay for you to be off by one whole afr in any "session"? i guess it doesn't matter much with granny tunes tho, i get it.

you guys think exactly alike, i can tell by your same jobs, even your sigs are laid out identically??

if a wideband ever read that far off once warmed up it should find it's way into the dumpster.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Rainman

Ive been using a PLX 300 for over a year and love it
Old 02-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i personally think aem wideband are very easy to install, but i don't think they as accurat then innovative lc-1, i been use lc1 to tune, and seen like thats what all the guys running out there.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lc-1 From Innovate
Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxb16a90
i personally think aem wideband are very easy to install, but i don't think they as accurat then innovative lc-1, i been use lc1 to tune, and seen like thats what all the guys running out there.
Can you please restate this so we can understand what you meant.
Thanks

So far i have two options. I cant decide wich one to get.
option # 1- Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2- 190$
or
option # 2-PLX DM-5 Wide band O2 52mm Display + SM-AFR. 240$
My buddy ho owns a BMW said that most of the bmw guys run PLX widebands on theyre bimmers and like them.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM

i have a innovate lnc-1 up for sell it was on my honda so just hit me up someday anyone
Old 02-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

innovate would be my choice.

plus the WB sensors are 01+ front o2 sensors for 1.8T's and VR6's making them CHEAP and easy to get when/if you need to.

calibration isnt a bad thing. lol. i would rather have a product that offers calibration, instead of one that does not. you dont have to calibrate the innovate if you dont want to. but at least you have the option.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trevathan
i have a innovate lnc-1 up for sell it was on my honda so just hit me up someday anyone
I would if i was loking for a used one. But how much u asking for it..?
Thanks

Originally Posted by welfarepc
innovate would be my choice.

plus the WB sensors are 01+ front o2 sensors for 1.8T's and VR6's making them CHEAP and easy to get when/if you need to.

calibration isnt a bad thing. lol. i would rather have a product that offers calibration, instead of one that does not. you dont have to calibrate the innovate if you dont want to. but at least you have the option.
I need something that you dont have to calibrate out of the box unless its easy to caliibrate it. So ure saying the 02 sensor from the vr6s are plug and play with the inovative units.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lc-1 from innovate is fairly simple to calibrate.

Quick Reply: What is an afordable wide band A/F setup..?