All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Suggestions Needed: K20A3 1st Level Engine Modification list

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:12 AM
XSR
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions Needed: K20A3 1st Level Engine Modification list

Hey guys, I'm getting a 2003 Acura RSX type-S and I'm looking to upgrade it and increase my over all performance. I already am planning on getting a racing intake manifold, upgraded throttle body, a CAI, racing headers, cat delete (I'm blessed to live in a area that doesn't have emissions testing), racing exhaust, ECU tune, and maybe a better camshaft. So, what kinda of camshaft? I don't feel like having to do all my valves, and springs and stuff. Just the cam. And boosting is completely off the table. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default re: Suggestions Needed: K20A3 1st Level Engine Modification list

Originally Posted by XSR
Hey guys, I'm getting a 2003 Acura RSX type-S and I'm looking to upgrade it and increase my over all performance. I already am planning on getting a racing intake manifold, upgraded throttle body, a CAI, racing headers, cat delete (I'm blessed to live in a area that doesn't have emissions testing), racing exhaust, ECU tune, and maybe a better camshaft. So, what kinda of camshaft? I don't feel like having to do all my valves, and springs and stuff. Just the cam. And boosting is completely off the table. Thanks!
In this case take the whole idea of those parts mostly benificial for N.A applications out your head and think about either 2 reliable power adders for the time and money invested which would be forced induction. The amount of money you spend on those parts will not give you as much power or satisfaction as you would get from simply focusing on a supercharger bolt on kit or a off the shelf semi bolt on turbo kit. You will thank me in the end because when you add up all the money you spend to get 240 hp you could of made double the power for around the same give or take. Then go from there.

This is just my advise. Theres a love and hate with all motor and FI but once you drive a boosted setup you get hooked, put it this way i was a all motor junky for the longest time once i ventured and bit the bullet on a sc kit the rest was history theres more potential for power which is everyones main objective when thinking about modifiying there cars for whatever reason. GL
Old 02-09-2017, 09:28 AM
XSR
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
In this case take the whole idea of those parts mostly benificial for N.A applications out your head and think about either 2 reliable power adders for the time and money invested which would be forced induction. The amount of money you spend on those parts will not give you as much power or satisfaction as you would get from simply focusing on a supercharger bolt on kit or a off the shelf semi bolt on turbo kit. You will thank me in the end because when you add up all the money you spend to get 240 hp you could of made double the power for around the same give or take. Then go from there.

This is just my advise. Theres a love and hate with all motor and FI but once you drive a boosted setup you get hooked, put it this way i was a all motor junky for the longest time once i ventured and bit the bullet on a sc kit the rest was history theres more potential for power which is everyones main objective when thinking about modifiying there cars for whatever reason. GL
I have driven numerous boosted cars (2012 GTI mk6, 2003 S2k boosted and slammed, 1995 del sol) they are cool, but I've also driven cars that used to be boosted and they took it off and the car was weak without it. I want something that is strong and then I'll maybe put in a supercharger, but a turbo is such a hassle. And there is such a stigma about a younger guy with a Japanese car who has a turbo on it, at least where I live (Nashville TN, hmu at cars and coffee). I want something that sounds insane without the whine or whistle. I'll include the list of parts if that helps. Skunk2 ultra series race intake manifold, Skunk2 pro series throttle body, injen SP series cold air intake, Skunk2 mega power RR cat back, Skunk2 alpha series stainless steel racing headers, then there's things like brakes, lights, and body parts, but that's for a different forum. I also forgot to mention that i install all these myself, no shops or anything, thanks!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with wunfstgsr, the stuff you listed won't make large power increase, but if you are dead set on sticking with n/a I would suggest looking into a k20/k24 set up. A good friend of mine has a stock tsx bottom end (with a type s oil pump) with a k20 (can't remember which one right now) cylinder head that is ported and polished, RBC intake 74mm throttle body, 3.5" custom intake with a v-stack, RDX injectors, tuned on kpro, skunk2 header, 3" exhaust and prayoontoo camshafts (once again can't remeber which ones, but they aren't huge) and he laid down 270whp on a mustang dyno (these read a bit on the low end compared to other dynos). This is in his K swapped EM2.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM
XSR
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
I agree with wunfstgsr, the stuff you listed won't make large power increase, but if you are dead set on sticking with n/a I would suggest looking into a k20/k24 set up. A good friend of mine has a stock tsx bottom end (with a type s oil pump) with a k20 (can't remember which one right now) cylinder head that is ported and polished, RBC intake 74mm throttle body, 3.5" custom intake with a v-stack, RDX injectors, tuned on kpro, skunk2 header, 3" exhaust and prayoontoo camshafts (once again can't remeber which ones, but they aren't huge) and he laid down 270whp on a mustang dyno (these read a bit on the low end compared to other dynos). This is in his K swapped EM2.
all I really need is a MK6 GTI killer (my buddys car) and he has a APR tune w/ a Borla exhaust. Putting out maybe 300 hp. I used to be into tiburons, and their super charger kits were easy but that's kinda the way it was placed. A RSX will be harder.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XSR
If you are set on staying at 2 liters and leaving valvesprings stock, i suggest the following:
​​​​​​intake manifold: RBC
throttle body: 70-74mm
Intake: 3 or 3.5 inch piping
Header: skunk 2 alpha is good and inexpensive
Exhaust: have one custom made, most shelf exhaust are pretty restrictive. 3inch is a must with k series. Mandrel bends make the most power. Aluminized is fine. Buy a nice muffler (vibrant, borla, etc) and a resonator.
ECU: kpro
Cams: cartel DIC. A guy I know made 12-15whp from like 4k to 8500 rpm on a stock k20 with those cams. Nothing crazy but you can use stock valvesprings. Anything bigger than DICs requires upgraded springs.

With a fair reading dynojet and a competent tuner, 240-250whp should be no problem.

EDIT: Nitrous is the ****. A 75-100 shot on k20 is tons of fun and well within the limits of safety for a stock block.

Last edited by k20z1ej1; 02-09-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Look into ITB's but good luck beating your buddys car going n.a but i hear you about throwing in a SC later down the road so your not really gonna hurt the car doing bolt ons for now, i was just stating skip all that and go with a SC kit with a few mods you can make decent power.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:23 PM
XSR
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Look into ITB's but good luck beating your buddys car going n.a but i hear you about throwing in a SC later down the road so your not really gonna hurt the car doing bolt ons for now, i was just stating skip all that and go with a SC kit with a few mods you can make decent power.
after some research (youtube) ill probably go with a SC. So what modifications do i need? Intercooler?