Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Stock PCV on 8k motor?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock PCV on 8k motor?

I have a stock B18 with Crower stage 2 cams (62403) and I just have the stock PCV setup. Is this enough if I'm pounding 8,000 RPMs all day? I've got LS gearing so I stay over 6k in 3rd for a loooooong time when I'm running it hard. Should I instead set up a catch can with two breathers on the back of the block?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock PCV on 8k motor?

youd still use pcv...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's fine, but is just the stock PCV enough? When I'm at WOT there's no vacuum on the crankcase and I'm worried about building up crankcase pressure. Is this not an issue for my setup?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take a look at a stock Type R... revs past 8k all day with no problems. The only thing I added to mine is a breather on the valve cover vent that usually goes to the intake pipe. I will notice on my fuel rail there is a light oil residue but no where close to spitting out oil to need a catch can.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
Take a look at a stock Type R... revs past 8k all day with no problems. The only thing I added to mine is a breather on the valve cover vent that usually goes to the intake pipe. I will notice on my fuel rail there is a light oil residue but no where close to spitting out oil to need a catch can.
On the Type-R, removing the tube from the intake to the valve cover reduces the systems effectiveness at WOT. This connection is designed so that the velocity of the intake air at WOT forces the fresh air into the valve cover instead of it being pulled in by manifold vacuum via the PCV. I replaced the hard plastic tube from the intake-to-valvecover with a clear one and found no evidence of any oil or vapor being drawn out of the valve cover (no discoloration). The stock VTEC PCV system is designed quite well.

As for the LS motor, installing an aftermarket catch can, and imitating a Type-R PCV system would be best for a street engine. You can get a complete Endyn kit for a good chunk of change. The nice thing about this kit is that it has the option to run open (for racing) or plumb it back to the manifold for part-throttle vacuum.

You can also try to piece together the same thing using a 5-star-racing baffled catch for a bit less. The important part is that you feed the top vent back to the intake manifold if you have emissions to worry about.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How would it force in fresh air when it see's no boost? I don't think there would be lower pressure in the valve cover at WOT to pull it in. I though the point is to vent out of the valve cover, not push in.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The velocity of the air causes it to flow in the correct direction I guess. Larry from Endyn always talked about modifying the inlet tube to increase that flow at WOT. This was accomplished by adding a slash cut tube that slightly protrudes into the flow of the incoming air. Either way I have zero evidence of back flow of crank-case air from this tube. It must be doing it's job. Of course my B18C is just a street engine that only sees 8k+ maybe once every time I drive it (on average), so I could be wrong.