All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

replacing ground wire on f22b2

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
jvr
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing ground wire on f22b2

So I got a nice braided copper wire to replace the frayed old wire that grounds the valve cover, but I'm unsure about where to place it. Here's a pic of where the old wire is located:

There is currently a tiny wire going from spot 1 to spot 2, and a much thicker wire connecting spot 2 to spot 3. Obviously the new wire will bolt onto the valve cover in the same number 1 spot, but should I remove the wire that currently goes from spot 2 to 3 and just run the new wire from spot 1 to 3? Or should I leave the thicker wire that's connecting 2 and 3 currently and run the new wire from 1 to 2?

Ie, can I just run the wire from the VC (spot 1) to the frame (spot 3) or do I need to keep spot 2 and 3 connected?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: replacing ground wire on f22b2

The purpose of the ground spot 1 is to provide a path in case plug wire insulation fails. Honda later deleted the use of this in most applications probably for a combination of reasons the biggest one being cost cutting.. The ground strap between 2 and 3 is all thats really necessary.

The valve cover itself does not have continuity to ground because its connection points to the engine all have rubber. The mounting hardware with the acorn nuts do however because the studs thread into the cylinder head.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 PM
jvr
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So can I just unbolt the small wire at spot 1 and clip it off the larger wire at spot 2 (it's connected to the larger wire), then run my new wire from 1 to 2? This would be mostly for looks... But would the new wire even be functional if it's just contacting the larger wire at spot 2 but not actually soldered on?

Edit: and just for educational purposes, what exactly is being grounded by the 2-3 wire? I'm not sure what that black cylinder dealio is near spot 2
Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can unbolt the small wire and clip it from the larger. Really wouldnt bother adding another wire there unless you like clutter.

There are two main grounds coming from the engine and trans going to the chassis. There is a large one that goes on the transmission side, this is for the starter motor. It draws a lot of current when you hit the key. The smaller one is essentially for the fuel injection and also a form of redundancy to ensure there is more then one ground path.