Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

question on rebuilding shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on rebuilding shortblock

my DD is a gsr barred civic hatch. i am keeping it stock to make it easy on myself for CA smog. the engine was burning ALOT of oil (has about 190,000 miles). I took the head off and the block still look relatively good (no scratches on sleeves).

- I was wondering can i just take the block to a machine shop and have the cylinders honed, re-use the old pistons and buy some new rings ? or do i need to go .25mm over and buy new pistons and pins ?

- should i get some new ACL standard bearings and maybe an oil pump while im at it ?

- im also planning on changing out the valve seals, anything else i should recondition on the head ?

This is not my race car , just my beater DD that saves gas and take me to work and back so id like to save money as much as possible, so any recommedations , advice , would be greatly appreciated . Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: question on rebuilding shortblock

Having the cylinders honed and installing new rings on old pistons is better than nothing and may help a little. If you only want to open the motor once and not have to worry about it for many years, I would have the engine rebored and install oversize pistons and rings. Change your oil and water pumps, install new bearings (OEM are fine). The head can be a source of burning oil if your valve guides are worn beyond spec so you'll want to have the guides checked and seals replaced. I'd be willing to bet that you could probably use a new valve job as well.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should use oversized pistons. Honing will take more material out of the cylinders and you can end up with a really loose piston-wall clearance. Going with oversized pistons will allow your machinist to get the cylinders straight and round and set the piston-wall clearance to spec.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok u guys r right , I'll get new pistons and have it oversized.

- does anybody know if the oem Honda pistons come with the pins ?

- I've decided on getting a valvejob also . should I get new valves also ? the old valves seem to have a lot of black flaky "skin" like material peeling

- anything else I should have the machinist check besides the valve guides ?

thanks !
Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump