Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

PSI GUY's "Another" B20vtec Build Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSI GUY's "Another" B20vtec Build Legacy

Well, I have been busy over the winter months, living in Eastern Canada the car is sitting out in a snow bank and I have had some time to play around with a new setup for the wife's car.

I work at the local Acura dealer, a couple years ago a lady traded in her 01 GS Integra because it wouldn't start that day and I bought it right away, turned out to be a bit of corrosion on the plugin under the back seat for the fuel pump and a cheap fix. I sent it out for some paint touch ups, had the wheels refinished and gave it to her for her birthday in 2012. She got to drive it a couple of times before we put it away for the winter.

Over the winter I threw a bunch of parts together and built her a GSR for it, threw some PR3 pistons in it and bought a head off a guy who was parting an SFWD car and it was just all kinds of wrong on a 1.8 all motor. The ports were huge and it never performed well, ended up making 194whp on the dyno with some skunk2 tuner 2 cams and bolt-ons. I was expecting a bit more but that's always the way things go. She raced the car at the local dragstrip in the street class last year, ended up with fourth place in points for the year, running 13.50s on the motor, full interior leather integra on 20" slicks. She found it hard at the line as the launch control was set at 7000 and it vibrated and thrashed so much she wanted to try something else at the end of the year. I had a Zex kit and threw it on for the last race, she ran 12.80s @ 110mph and really liked the car on the track and was launching it at 4000 rpm on the nitrous and had a blast. She asked me if we could make the car run in the 12's on the engine only.........now we are here.

So, long winded beginning, sorry but I figured some background would be good for this build as it's the second trip through.

I took some labor off a job for a B20b, ordered some JE pistons, Brian crower lightweight sportsman rods and sent it out to the machine shop. Had the block bored to 84.5mm, balanced the rotating parts and assembled the block with all ACL coated bearings. Pistons are 11.5:1 and with the B16 head that has been milled I'm right handy to 12:1. I decided to go stock sleeves for now, see how everything holds up and go from there. Bought a new oil and water pump, Moroso oil pan, catch can and made up some vent lines.

The old head and block I parted out, sold the head to a guy building a Dart tall deck turbo car so he can use those big ports, I found an old B16A head locally and decided to start fresh.

Sent the head down to 4Piston, had the CNC port work done, Ferrea 6000 valves, ferrea locks, supertech springs and retainers and the bronze valve guides, seals, etc. I decided I spent a lot on the GSR head and got a lot less so I figured I'd spend a little more and get a much better product and a much better setup. I also ordered a set of the skunk2 lmas to replace the stock ones, after talking to someone and advising that they may fatigue over time I am ordering some OEM later model ITR ones instead.

I previously had a skunk2 manifold on the GSR, I picked up a P73 manifold from a buddy for nothing and had a friend cut it up and port it, did a really good job with it and I hope it does well. I was on the fence a long time about the intake, I wanted to buy an Ultra manifold but it was another big chunk of money that I figured could be an upgrade later. Running a 70mm skunk2 TB with the same 3.5" Velocity stack intake as before.

I still had the tuner2 cams, figured they would work good but again, late nights on the internet and talking to people I decided to put them for sale. If they sold, I'd buy new cams, if not, they would stay. I ordered a set of M24xx from Rocket today

I also had previously been running some K series 310cc injectors, but with the hope of maxing them out, bought some new RDX injectors, hats and clips, also an AEM fuel rail, regulator and Walbro 255 for the tank. Fuel system should be good.

I was previously running a megapower header, it's a beautiful piece and it's going to be used again. I had built a 2.5" exhaust for it, will likely need to go bigger, time will tell.

Other than that, she is running an SiR transmission with an open diff, we had tried an lsd but the car was bogging so bad that I took it out, she was afraid to break axles with the lsd. I ordered a new MFactory road racing clutch to replace the Comp stage2 she was running that didn't like the nitrous....lol.

She wouldn't let me take any of the comforts from the car as she drives it to work on nice days, I kept the AC but removed the ps and installed a new manual rack and subframe, bought an Odyssey battery to save some weight, installed a airbag delete tray and jdm itr front rebar to cut some weight off the car. Also removed the rear seat under braces and some other small parts that don't affect the car. Hope to get this heavy rig down the track a bit easier.

Anyway, that's the build, still waiting on some parts to show up, bottom end is assembled, head and cams are in the mail and hopefully have it on the rollers in a month or so. I'm going to put some pics up shortly, and she can't wait to get this thing on the road to beat on it. I've spent a lot of money this winter but she doesn't mind since it's for her car. She has been a mom to 3 kids for the last 8 years and she deserves to have some fun.

She wants to run in the 12's and I hope the engine is going to make around 240, if it does, she should be able to get there. Aside from the intake manifold, there is not much else I can do, I don't want more compression as she drives it on the street.

I welcome any comments or suggestions, at the end of the day I should have thrown a set of rods and pistons in the GSR and put a turbo kit on, would have been cheaper and a lot faster but the wife wanted all motor, she got all motor.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: PSI GUY's "Another" B20vtec Build Legacy

Holy Bible batman. The build sounds solid. That IM choice will work fine for what you have going on. Only one I would recommend over the ported ITR is the S2 ultra street.
If she want's 12's that all depends on what weight you end up at and how well she can drive. Also, gearing will be a deciding factor. What tranny are you running? Sorry if you posted it in that book up top and I looked over it.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your build looks solid and should make good power. Nice thought process behind everything that has happened so far in the build. I'm positive 12's are there once all said and done.

What fuel are you going to be using?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry about the novel above, I figured it was more descriptive than the normal....

b18b block
b16 head
blox69 cams
What kind of power will I make on pump gas?

She is running a B16 tranny, LS fifth gear with synchrotech hardware. She runs 20x8x14" slicks and was still good at 110mph on the nitrous last year, I don't imagine she will be above that on the engine only.

Will be running pump gas for the street and likely throw some better stuff in at the track. We will see if more timing will help and warrant the use of the fuel on the dyno.

I am installing an Ultra street manifold on a car shortly that i did for a guy, it was tuned last year so we will see what the gains are from the pro series manifold to ultra street as well once the dyno is back open. I am willing to try a couple of things out this year after its running. As far as weight, I'm sure I've taken close to 200 lbs out of the car, she runs a test pipe off the header at the track so no exhaust weight as well. I'd like to see it close to 2500 lbs with the driver, it should be between 2500-2600.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if youre drag racing that setup, grab a 4.9 fd and gsr 5th gear will do 12's no problem.

The ls 5th is really going to hold you back, I have ls 5th in my hybrid tranny solely for interstate use. Its a road race car and never gets out of 4th on the track.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like i posted, she was good in fourth till 110 with the 20" slicks, I can't see her going that quick on the engine. The ls fifth is only for highway fuel economy driving to and from the track as it's an hour and a half both ways.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PSI GUY
Like i posted, she was good in fourth till 110 with the 20" slicks, I can't see her going that quick on the engine. The ls fifth is only for highway fuel economy driving to and from the track as it's an hour and a half both ways.
A lot of that has to do with where the powerband falls off and shift points as well. I don't think you will drop out of power in 4th and require a shift, but most well built B20V's will trap in the 108-112 range in the 1/4 depending on driving and power. Those slicks are pretty small as well which effects gearing.

Last edited by 93egSLEEPER; 03-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by whitesihatch
if youre drag racing that setup, grab a 4.9 fd and gsr 5th gear will do 12's no problem.

The ls 5th is really going to hold you back, I have ls 5th in my hybrid tranny solely for interstate use. Its a road race car and never gets out of 4th on the track.
How is the LS 5th going to hold you back racing in the 1/4 mile?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
A lot of that has to do with where the powerband falls off and shift points as well. I don't think you will drop out of power in 4th and require a shift, but most well built B20V's will trap in the 108-112 range in the 1/4 depending on driving and power. Those slicks are pretty small as well which effects gearing.
I have a set of 22"s if needed as well. The car hooks really well on the 20"s, she was running 1.80 60fts with them. I only wanted to switch to the bigger ones if we have to, and if she runs 112mph, I'll gladly throw the bigger ones on
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read my thread on my build I just finished. Very similar to yours except I am using ultra street mani and have quaife lsd in gsr trans and switched over to e85 fuel. I will be getting tuned and posting dyno graph next week.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/my-b20v-build-3198690/
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My post was related to IF the Op bought a 4.9 FD. He WILL need to go to 5th with this setup. He is not using his 5th on the track, but if he changes his FD he will. I have similar gearing with an LS 5th car tops out at approx 128 mph with an ls 5th. The GSR 5th will really benefit him if he changes the FD.

Good enough explanation?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My post was related to IF the Op bought a 4.9 FD. He WILL need to go to 5th with this setup. He is not using his 5th on the track, but if he changes his FD he will. I have similar gearing with an LS 5th car tops out at approx 128 mph with an ls 5th. The GSR 5th will really benefit him if he changes the FD.

Good enough explanation?
Who shifts to 5th in a 1/4 mile? What size slicks do you run? Either way, you wouldn't want to be shifting to 5th in the 1/4 mile anyways.

Either way, the OP doesn't need a 4.9FD to get into the 12's. Falls back to using your money wisely.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^whatever guy you obviously disregarded everything I just said. With a 4.9 FD and a hybrid short ratio gear set, You WILL shift to 5th. I think its the best bang for his buck, besides the cams hes buying.

But hey what do I know i only have the gear setup I mentioned...
Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just my .02
If the car see's more than just the track, and is used on the highway significantly, I would not run anything over a 4.7FD. Again, my opinion, but I don't like turning over 4k rpm cruising 60mph
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just my .02
If the car see's more than just the track, and is used on the highway significantly, I would not run anything over a 4.7FD. Again, my opinion, but I don't like turning over 4k rpm cruising 60mph
word me too. all those rpms are just more wear on the motor, higher temps etc.

and if you are serious about drag racing you need to set up your gearing and tire size to cross the traps at the top of 4th.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^whatever guy you obviously disregarded everything I just said. With a 4.9 FD and a hybrid short ratio gear set, You WILL shift to 5th. I think its the best bang for his buck, besides the cams hes buying.

But hey what do I know i only have the gear setup I mentioned...
Originally Posted by blackeg

and if you are serious about drag racing you need to set up your gearing and tire size to cross the traps at the top of 4th.
So you shouldn't be crossing the 1/4 mile in 5th?
Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg

with 20" slicks and crossing at 8500rpm at the top of 4th the trap for a 4.4FD tranny will be in the 108-112mph range which is perfect for this setup. 22" slicks will move the top of 4th up to about 115-117 which is too high for this setup unless the FD was switched to a 4.7. A 4.9 IMO is just too low unless you're spinning well over 9k and the end of the track.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just my .02
I know that feeling...
Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that feeling...
In my area if you're doing 60mph on the freeway you will get run over. 70 is a must. Cruising in vtec FTL
Old 03-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20vteg757
Read my thread on my build I just finished. Very similar to yours except I am using ultra street mani and have quaife lsd in gsr trans and switched over to e85 fuel. I will be getting tuned and posting dyno graph next week.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3198690
Looks like a good build as well, she was running a gsr tranny with ITR lsd but the car was bogging so badly that the 60fts were horrible. I swapped it out for the B16 tranny and it was a great fit.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my area if you're doing 60mph on the freeway you will get run over. 70 is a must. Cruising in vtec FTL
yeah bro thats why i had to set my vtec to 5500 rpms. Ill lower it once it hits the dyno and we figure out the best point of engagement.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PSI GUY

Looks like a good build as well, she was running a gsr tranny with ITR lsd but the car was bogging so badly that the 60fts were horrible. I swapped it out for the B16 tranny and it was a great fit.
Yea my gsr trans has got a quaife helical lsd. I drive interstate so dont want b16 trans. Will be posting my dyno results wednesday night after tuning wednesday. Good luck with your build guy. Post results as well. Subscribed. And by the way I switched from type r to victor x to ultra street and ultra street is by far best manifold for the price range.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build ... im building a b20vtec want to hit 12s too im running same compression but i will put car on a diet 2500 to heavy for 12s
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20vteg757
Yea my gsr trans has got a quaife helical lsd. I drive interstate so dont want b16 trans. Will be posting my dyno results wednesday night after tuning wednesday. Good luck with your build guy. Post results as well. Subscribed. And by the way I switched from type r to victor x to ultra street and ultra street is by far best manifold for the price range.
I was on the fence for a while on the manifold, I was going to go with a victor x but decided to cut up the itr one. I will likely switch it up later on to an ultra, whether its the street or race manifold.

Here are a few pics of the manifold and a few parts.

I'll post some more pics once the head comes in and get the engine together.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice looking good!

Quick Reply: PSI GUY's "Another" B20vtec Build Legacy