Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Possible to tell if you have cams without opening valve cover??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Possible to tell if you have cams without opening valve cover??

Originally Posted by turbociv910
take it somewhere before you mess your car up.
I plan on taking it to shop to do the head work obviously, but this isnt my daily driver, its my hobby/learning experience car. my daily is 07 bmw 335i
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ale5six1
I plan on taking it to shop to do the head work obviously, but this isnt my daily driver, its my hobby/learning experience car. my daily is 07 bmw 335i
cool story bro.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbociv910
cool story bro.
typical.... go lurk somewhere else. If you have no useful information to add
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ale5six1
well what would u want to know, turbo size? what kind of driving characteristics i would want? I mean this is down the road so I havent researched turbo models yet but I'm going to go with a relatively small turbo for good low and mid range power. I really dont want to rip apart the block and spend a large amount of money going to low compression pistons and new rods and crank so I can have a 400hp beast. only looking for around 225hp out of it.
If your only looking for 225 slap a premade turbo kit on it now and you can have that no prob. Just make sure everything is ok with the motor before doing so. spending on another head when your is fine is a waste...same goes for spending on pro 1 cams and sticking with na for a while before making the change to boost. If 225HP is all your after...learn how to do all the basic maintenance stuff and get the motor healthy. Once you get to this point go BOOST!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

been looking at those premade kits, most say they are overpriced and if you build your own you'll save money and have a better setup. I have a friend of mine that has built many turbo setups working in a shop so I'll goto him and piece together a setup. I just wanted to build the top end first before slowly buying the turbo setup.

questions: do the valves play the biggest role on how high you can rev the engine? I've read by replacing the valves and springs with much lighter material is what will allow you to rev the engine past the 8k threshold of the b16 top end. this sound correct?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, most turnkey kits are overpriced...however they usually are complete and meant for your vehicle. Seeing as that most of your posts do not show you having an extensive knowledge base on the motor, a turnkey kit was what i recommended as new folks to the whole thing tend to gauge that it would be cheaper to piece a kit together.

It is much cheaper, but to only the folks that know what they want and need. In your case there have probably been thousands of guys planning to build their own kit and ending up spending double or more to get to the point where they are actually even able to install and have everything work. Let alone changing their mind as better deals come around on a particular manifold or turbo or waste gate or blow-off valve...the list goes on and on.

Do your friend with a shop, Honda-Tech and your self a huge favor and buy a bolt on kit. Even a used drag or Greddy kit would work just fine and be able to net you 225HP.